Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

New Dan Brown novel coming 9/15

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Dan Brown novel coming 9/15

The Lost Symbol will (allegedly) have a 5 million copy first printing.

http://www.danbrown.com/the-lost-symbol.html
Old 04-20-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: New Dan Brown novel coming 9/15

I enjoyed both Angels & Demons and The DaVinci Code.

I'll read it...(from the library)
Old 04-20-09, 02:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Looking forward to it.
Old 04-20-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This will give me an excuse to reread Angels & Demons and The DaVinci code before this comes out.
Old 04-20-09, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll definitely pick this book up.
Old 04-20-09, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I enjoy his books. I'm definitely getting the new one.
Old 04-20-09, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Awesome, loved his other books. Can't wait
Old 04-21-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Finally. I wonder if it's still the same book that was teased in the dust cover of DVC, or if it's a completely different one. That was supposed to be titled "The Solomon Key" right?
Old 04-21-09, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I like Dan Brown as well...looking forward to it.
Old 04-22-09, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Can't wait to hear a synopsis.
Old 04-22-09, 09:13 PM

Add me to the "looking forward to it" group.
Old 09-12-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They've kept this locked up pretty well, haven't day? Haven't heard much of anything about it with the release just a couple days away.
Old 09-12-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I've loved the books.....hated the movies though.....

Will definitely be checking it out!
Old 09-12-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
They've kept this locked up pretty well, haven't day? Haven't heard much of anything about it with the release just a couple days away.
Not really.

The plot of the book will involve the murder in Washington DC of an old geezer that looks like it was done by the Freemasons. Robert Langdon will be called in as a consultant, and find himself targeted by the same conspiracy that killed the geezer. During the course of the novel, Langdon will hook up with the geezer's hot European daughter. In the end, he will discover that there wasn't a conspiracy after all, but that it was a secondary character who Langdon thought was a trusted friend who was behind the whole thing.
Old 09-12-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am reading Digital Fortress now (or Deception Point, I can never remember which one....regardless, it is one of the non-Robert Langdon books), and the formula is exactly the same as the Langdons. Bring in a non-expert to a dire situation in order to have the expert(s) explain every little thing that is happening in order to be able to communicate it to the readers, instead of writing it in such a way that the readers can figure it out themselves (or trusting that the readers are smart enough to do so).

Anyway, I thought that the Langdon books were fine, so I'll definitely pick this up as well.
Old 09-13-09, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really enjoy Brown's books. I've read them all, but really his plots follow the same exact thread book after book. He gives good popcorn books though.
Old 09-13-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll be picking this up Tuesday. Formulaic, sure, but I loved Angels & Demons and The DaVinci Code. If you can suspend disbelief while you are reading them, they are definitely page-turners.
Old 09-13-09, 08:52 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

My copy shipped from Amazon yesterday for a day and date release (and it was about $15 delivered).
Old 09-14-09, 09:10 AM

No advance copies provided for critic review -- a bad sign or simply a measure of keeping it 'locked up'?
Old 09-14-09, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For this, I'd say keeping it locked up. This book will be critic proof.
Old 09-14-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are a couple of positive reviews out there:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle6833868.ece

An embargo-busting review of the latest Dan Brown blockbuster, which goes on sale tomorrow, suggests that The Lost Symbol could be about to do for Washington what The Da Vinci Code did for Paris and London.

The book sees the return of Brown's Harvard symbiologist Robert Langdon as he dashes around the US Capitol in a 12-hour battle against a tattooed and muscled eunuch. At his side is Dr Katherine Solomon, a Noetic scientist who replaces the cryptographer Sophie Neveu as sidekick and intellectual love interest.

The first review of The Lost Symbol appeared today in The New York Times, entitled "Fasten Your Seat Belts, There's Code to Crack" whch suggests that Dan Brown fans will not be disappointed.

The reviewer, Janet Maslin, says that too many popular authors follow a huge hit with a terrible embarrassment, naming, by way of example, Thomas Harris's Hannibal, follow-up to The Silence of the Lambs.

"Mr Brown hasn’t done that," she said. "Instead, he’s bringing sexy back to a genre that had been left for dead."

If Maslin has indeed jumped the gun with her review - The Bookseller magazine suggested that she had - Brown is unlikely to be complaining too loudly.

It was Maslin's rave review for The Da Vinci Code in 2003 – she compared its appeal to that of the Harry Potter books – which helped send it straight to the top of the bestseller charts. "People called and said, 'Is Janet Maslin your mother, because she never says stuff like that'," Brown later told an interviewer.

That novel, which follows Langdon as the murder of a curator at the Louvre precipitates him into a mystery involving the possibility that Jesus Christ fathered a child with Mary Magdalene, helped Brown break through into the major league. It has since sold more than 80 million copies in 44 languages.

Spoiler:
According to the New York Times review, we catch up with Langdon again as he heads for the National Statuary Hall in the Capitol building, where he has been invited to speak by a friend, Peter Solomon, Katherine's brother.

"And here comes Mr Brown’s first neat trick: The Solomon summons was fake. There’s no audience waiting," Maslin writes.

"Just as Langdon realises he has been lured to Washington under a false pretext, a shriek arises from the Rotunda. Some fiend has deposited Peter Solomon’s severed, tattooed hand right above the Capitol Crypt — and right below the dome art that depicts George Washington, founding father and Freemason, as an ascending deity."

Brown's style does come in for some criticism from the critic. Maslin complains that "the author uses so many italics that even brilliant experts wind up sounding like teenage girls" before accepting that "Mr Brown’s excitable, hyperbolic tone is one the guilty pleasures of his books".

"Mr Brown was writing sensational visual scenarios long before his books became movie material. This time he again enlivens his story with amazing imagery," Maslin adds.

"Thanks to him, picture postcards of the capital’s most famous monuments will never be the same."

The Lost Symbol goes on sale tomorrow and has an initial print run in the United States of five million to get publishers Random House over the initial demand. It is also expected to give a major boost to sales of e-readers as users decide to download electronic versions of the novel.

Another early review in The Los Angeles Times could also be put in the "rave" category, although perhaps not quite so breathlessly positive.

"Brown's narrative moves rapidly, except for those clunky moments when people sound like encyclopaedias ("The sacred symbol of the Hebrews is the Jewish star -- the Seal of Solomon – an important symbol to the Masons!")," writes critic Nick Owchar.

"But no one reads Brown for style, right? The reason we read Dan Brown is to see what happens to Langdon... And yet, it's hard to imagine anyone, after reading The Lost Symbol, debating about Freemasonry in Washington, DC, the way people did Brown's radical vision of Jesus and Mary Magdalene in Code. That book hit a deep cultural nerve for obvious reasons; The Lost Symbol is more like the experience on any rollercoaster – thrilling, entertaining and then it's over."
Old 09-14-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sounds good to me; more of the same is all i'm looking for.
Old 09-15-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Entertainment Weekly's Review

Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code has spawned a raft of imitators, most of which pale in comparison; the latest, The Lost Symbol, is by Brown himself. Once again, Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is summoned to the scene of a gruesome attack, joins forces with an attractive and erudite love interest, and speeds around a world capital chasing clues, solving puzzles, and risking his life while dropping cocktail parties’ worth of scholarly minutiae. Even the setting, though new, will be familiar to most readers: Washington, D.C.

Spoiler:
This time, Langdon is lured to the Capitol to save his mentor, Peter Solomon, a prominent member of the Freemasons who’s been kidnapped by a cryptic, heavily tattooed, Homer-reading psycho calling himself Mal’akh — a vicious fellow even less plausible than the albino monk in The Da Vinci Code. Our hero is also in possession of an ancient Masonic artifact whose clues lead him on a treasure hunt to various D.C. tourist spots as he searches for a secret long hidden by the brotherhood.

That secret, of course, is one giant MacGuffin — though Brown is the rare thriller writer who seems to lavish as much attention on the object that sets his plot in motion as he does on the action itself. But for thriller fans, it’s the chase that really matters. Especially since the secrets of Freemasonry just aren’t as compelling as, say, a controversial theory about Mary Magdalene and Jesus.

Luckily, Langdon remains a terrific hero, a bookish intellectual who’s cool in a crisis and quick on his feet, like Ken Jennings with a shot of adrenaline. The codes are intriguing, the settings present often-seen locales in a fresh light, and Brown mostly manages to keep the pages turning — except when one of his know-it-all characters decides to brake the action for another superfluous, if occasionally interesting, historical digression. (Did you know there’s a carving of Darth Vader on the National Cathedral?) Even after the book’s climactic showdown, you must slog through another 50-plus pages of exposition that Brown couldn’t cram into the main narrative. Sometimes it seems that authors, like their villains, don’t know when to leave well enough alone. C+
Old 09-15-09, 03:42 PM

Was at the airport at 6am for a business flight today. I walked by two book stands on the way to my gate and noticed that the copies were nearly gone. The airport was probably the earliest way to get a copy of this book since stores are open prior than typical business hours (assuming online stores didn't ship early).
Old 09-15-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was able to walk into Borders this morning around 9:30 and pick it up no problem... Not sure how they sold beyond that but I dont think it was much of an issue getting one around here for most of the day. So far I have enjoyed it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.