Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Julia (Zonca, 2008): Tilda Swinton

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Synopsis:
Julia, 40, is an alcoholic. She is a manipulative, unreliable, compulsive liar, all strung out beneath her still flamboyant exterior. Between shots of vodka and one-night stands, Julia gets by on nickel-and-dime jobs. Increasingly lonely, the only consideration she receives comes from her friend Mitch, who tries to help her. But she shrugs him off, as her alcohol-induced confusion daily reinforces her sense that life has dealt her a losing hand and that she is not to blame for the mess she has made of it.

Glimpsing imminent perdition, and after a chance encounter with Elena, a Mexican woman, Julia convinces herself – as much in panic and despair as for financial gain – to commit a violent act.

As the story unfolds, Julia's journey becomes a headlong flight on a collision course, but somehow she makes the choice of life over death.
JULIA trailer in HD
<object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=55789696,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycolor="/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=55789696,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycolor=" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"/></object>

IMDB

This is getting a limited US release in May.
Old 04-18-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Julia (Zonca, 2008): Tilda Swinton

Sounds like it will be good, but depressing.

= J
Old 04-18-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't like Tilda Swinton. She's like an uglier, less talented Cate Blanchett.

However, I will still check out this movie.
Old 04-18-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
To be fair, almost all actresses are uglier and less talented than Blanchett. That being said, Swinton rarely turns in a sub-par performance, and her looks are certainly striking, if not beautiful in the traditional sense.
Old 04-18-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

However, I will still check out this movie.
Mam, I couldn't disagree more, I find her to be one of the most riveting & fearless actresses alive & I've always thought she was oddly beautiful.
Old 04-18-09, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swinton would make Blanchett look amateurish if her display of mimicry in The Aviator hadn't already done that.

I saw this flick last year and thought it was fantastic. Swinton won't be nominated for an Oscar for it, but she damned well should be. Fucking brilliant performance, almost like the female counterpart to Mickey Rourke's Randy Robinson. The reviews weren't necessarily unkind to it, but most complained about the length (almost two and a half hours), whereas I thought it was perfectly paced & just long enough to let the audience really get to know the title character as a person.
Old 12-28-09, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tilda Swinton is a Goddess (she turns in yet another amazing performance) and this film, while not spectacular by any means, is very good. The story is not entirely plausible, but it's a thrill to watch Julia's descent and redemption followed by her descent and redemption, so on and so forth.

Reading comments on other forums and critical reviews, it's so funny and (unfortunately) obvious how the ending pisses people off because they cannot and won't come up with their own interpretation of what happened. Do we really need to be spoon-fed every little thing?
Old 12-29-09, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was a great movie.

Really enjoyed it, Tilda's best performance yet.
Old 12-29-09, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Yeah, I know I should see this movie and I am a huge Swinton fan, but I just don't tend to enjoy movies about characters like this.