Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Armored - Lawrence Fishburn, Matt Dillon, Jean Reno

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the trailer.

Looks like a good cast, but what could be a pretty bad movie. And it's PG-13, which means at least one DVDTalker definitely won't be seeing it.

= J
Old 04-17-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Armored - Lawrence Fishburn, Matt Dillon, Jean Reno

Thanks for the trailer, I no longer have to see the movie. I think they went through every possible plot twist except how he gets away at the end, and I'm not sitting through the whole movie to find out.
Old 04-18-09, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skeet Ulrich looks remarkably like Benicio Del Toro in the trailer.

I love Jean Reno, but this looks fairly uninteresting. If anyone but Screen Gems had produced it, it'd probably be R-rated, and look a lot more interesting.
Old 04-18-09, 06:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I love Jean Reno, but this looks fairly uninteresting.
Jean Reno died (to me) after he agreed to be in those awful Pink Panther remakes.
Old 04-18-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Trevor
Jean Reno died (to me) after he agreed to be in those awful Pink Panther remakes.
I thought it would have been awesome if Reno had been playing Clouseau. Jean Reno has done his share of goofy comedies and so I always thought an improved version of the first would have been Reno as Clouseau, Martin as the Chief Inspector, and Jason Statham as the Cato character.
Old 04-18-09, 01:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I thought it would have been awesome if Reno had been playing Clouseau. Jean Reno has done his share of goofy comedies and so I always thought an improved version of the first would have been Reno as Clouseau, Martin as the Chief Inspector, and Jason Statham as the Cato character.
That might have been better, and I'll agree that the problem with those remakes wasn't Reno, more the terrible writing.

It was just so darn painful to watch, partly because I loved Sellers so much, but I think I'm with the majority that the Martin films were just awful.

Not sure about Statham, but Reno as Clouseau could have been great in the right hands.
Old 04-18-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Trevor
Not sure about Statham, but Reno as Clouseau could have been great in the right hands.
I just like the idea that his deadly sidekick would be The Transporter.
Old 12-07-09, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw this tonight. I was bored and wanted to see a movie. No limited releases near me and I didn't want to sit through Ninja Assassin.

The movie is better than it should be. The story is about as plain as you can imagine, without any twists or real character development. You can see the script and the director trying to get a message out of this movie. Like Mamet's Glengarry Glen Ross, it's a movie about down-and-out men trying to get a piece in a down-and-out world. No woman has a speaking role (and I counted a handful in the extras) and every shot seems to have an empty factory nearby. Had a little more thought been put into this, there could've been some really neat symbolism about America's decline built into this. Mamet could've made the barely tense talky middle a bit more bearable. The roles were interchangeable. The dialogue was banal. But the action pieces (when they were around) weren't bad, and the camera kept it interesting, without using ANY MTV style jump cuts. That alone made it entertaining.

I passed the time. The filmmakers knew no one was asking more from them, so they didn't really try. I wish they had.
Old 03-22-10, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

enjoyed the cast. thought the directing was solid especially the action scenes. shitty script. entertaining none the less.
Old 03-22-10, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Saw this tonight. I was bored and wanted to see a movie. No limited releases near me and I didn't want to sit through Ninja Assassin.

The movie is better than it should be. The story is about as plain as you can imagine, without any twists or real character development. You can see the script and the director trying to get a message out of this movie. Like Mamet's Glengarry Glen Ross, it's a movie about down-and-out men trying to get a piece in a down-and-out world. No woman has a speaking role (and I counted a handful in the extras) and every shot seems to have an empty factory nearby. Had a little more thought been put into this, there could've been some really neat symbolism about America's decline built into this. Mamet could've made the barely tense talky middle a bit more bearable. The roles were interchangeable. The dialogue was banal. But the action pieces (when they were around) weren't bad, and the camera kept it interesting, without using ANY MTV style jump cuts. That alone made it entertaining.

I passed the time. The filmmakers knew no one was asking more from them, so they didn't really try. I wish they had.
I saw this last week. Little bored with it, but not bad. I totally agree with Bus that it could've been much better. The tension seemed hollow, with very little meat to the characters.

Originally Posted by The Bus
No woman has a speaking role
You forgot about the child services lady who came to their house to say the brother was skipping school. She had lines. But I couldn't remember another female other than her, so point taken.
Old 03-22-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm one of the few people who saw this in a theater. I love this kind of premise--ordinary guys thrust into a caper--and I thought the film started off well, but then it just ran out of ideas and the final section offered one implausibility after another and the whole thing just ended badly. Very disappointing. Also, it was way too reminiscent of Walter Hill's TRESPASS (1992), one of the best crime thrillers of the last 20 years, and it just paled in comparison.
Old 03-22-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I'm one of the few people who saw this in a theater. I love this kind of premise--ordinary guys thrust into a caper--and I thought the film started off well, but then it just ran out of ideas and the final section offered one implausibility after another and the whole thing just ended badly. Very disappointing. Also, it was way too reminiscent of Walter Hill's TRESPASS (1992), one of the best crime thrillers of the last 20 years, and it just paled in comparison.
Could not agree more. However I did not see this in the theater...
Old 03-22-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

anyone else think it was weird that Mrs. Ganush from DRAG ME TO HELL was the child welfare lady that was informing them they'd be losing their house?

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 03-22-10 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-22-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If anyone is getting ready to watch this could you count how many times they say Jimmy? I'm guessing it's around 30. Most of them are in 2 or 3 scenes, so it should be an easy task.
Old 03-22-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
anyone else think it was weird that Mrs. Ganush from DRAG ME TO HELL was the child welfare lady that was informing them they'd be losing their house?
! That almost makes me want to see this movie.
Old 03-22-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Old 03-22-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Saw this a while back. I enjoyed it. It's not high art but it was pretty damn entertaining.
Old 03-22-10, 05:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
ditto.
Old 03-22-10, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
That's awesome! I never would have caught that.