Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Date Night (Levy, 2010): Steve Carell, Tina Fey, Mark Wahlberg, James Franco

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Variety:
Mark Wahlberg and James Franco are set to crash Steve Carell and Tina Fey's "Date Night."

Wahlberg and Franco have signed on for supporting roles in the Shawn Levy-helmed comedy for 20th Century Fox. Leighton Meester, Common, Taraji P. Henson and Kristen Wiig have also boarded the project.

Levy said that after landing a top-end ensemble for his upcoming "Night at the Museum" sequel, he aimed high in casting "Date Night" with the goal of populating all the supporting roles "with formidable actors."

"And people just kept saying yes," added Levy. "I think people just really wanted to work with Tina and Steve."

Penned by Josh Klausner, comedy revolves around a married couple who find themselves in harm's way after their routine date night goes horribly awry.

Wahlberg plays a successful and crazily buff securities expert who flirts with Fey's character. Franco portrays a not-too-bright conman and petty criminal. Meester is onboard as the couple's babysitter. Henson plays the one good cop who believes the couple is in danger, and Common portrays a villain. Wiig, who worked with Fey on "Saturday Night Live," rounds out the cast as the actress' best friend.
IMDB
Old 04-13-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Date Night (Levy, 2010): Steve Carell, Tina Fey, Mark Wahlberg, James Franco

Too bad it's being made by Fox and being directed by Shawn Levy.

Carrell has made his train-wrecks (Evan Almighty, Get Smart) and so has Fey (Baby Mama). Love them both, but I don't have high hopes with this.

EDIT: It's so far being written by Josh Klausner, a writer on Shrek the Third and the upcoming sequel. Yeah. No high hopes at all.
Old 04-14-09, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Date Night (Levy, 2010): Steve Carell, Tina Fey, Mark Wahlberg, James Franco

I used to think Levy was a serviceable enough Hack for Hire (I liked Big Fat Liar and Cheaper by the Dozen was harmless) but has since gone on to make nothing but shit (Pink Panther, Night at the Museum). Shawn Levy, Peter Segal and pre-Hairspray Adam Shankman are like a blackhole for comedy - the unholy trinity of bland movies. Also, anyone involved with Shrek the Third is someone I never want to hear from again... the cast is going to have to pull a miracle out of their asses to make this one good. (and that is probably one of the best 'on paper' cast I've seen in a while)
Old 04-14-09, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I used to think Levy was a serviceable enough Hack for Hire (I liked Big Fat Liar and Cheaper by the Dozen was harmless) but has since gone on to make nothing but shit (Pink Panther, Night at the Museum). Shawn Levy, Peter Segal and pre-Hairspray Adam Shankman are like a blackhole for comedy - the unholy trinity of bland movies. Also, anyone involved with Shrek the Third is someone I never want to hear from again... the cast is going to have to pull a miracle out of their asses to make this one good. (and that is probably one of the best 'on paper' cast I've seen in a while)
Peter Segal also directed one of the funniest movies ever made, Tommy Boy.
Old 04-14-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Too bad it's being made by Fox and being directed by Shawn Levy.

Carrell has made his train-wrecks (Evan Almighty, Get Smart) and so has Fey (Baby Mama). Love them both, but I don't have high hopes with this.

EDIT: It's so far being written by Josh Klausner, a writer on Shrek the Third and the upcoming sequel. Yeah. No high hopes at all.
Baby Mama wasn't a complete loss imo, its pacing sucked ass but it did have some very funny material mixed in. But that said, the mix of Shawn Levy and Josh Klausner isn't promising in the least.
Old 04-14-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
Peter Segal also directed one of the funniest movies ever made, Tommy Boy.
Total fluke. He then followed it up with these gems:

# The Longest Yard (2005)
# 50 First Dates (2004)
# Anger Management (2003)
# Nutty Professor II: The Klumps (2000)
# My Fellow Americans (1996)
Old 04-14-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

# 50 First Dates (2004)
I'd consider some of those decent comedies. Not great, but not terrible either.
Old 04-14-09, 10:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Tina Fey needs to stop appearing in movies that aren't written by Tina Fey.
Old 04-14-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'd consider some of those decent comedies. Not great, but not terrible either.
I'd rather get the shit beat out of me than have to sit through Anger Management or Nutty Professor II again.

I have a soft spot for My Fellow Americans (can't beat a two-punch combo of Lemmon and Garner); but the rest of his filmography besides that and Tommy Boy is crap.
Old 04-14-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd rather get the shit beat out of me than have to sit through Anger Management or Nutty Professor II again.

I have a soft spot for My Fellow Americans (can't beat a two-punch combo of Lemmon and Garner); but the rest of his filmography besides that and Tommy Boy is crap.
If you say so. I think Tommy Boy is overrated
Old 04-14-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

# 50 First Dates (2004)
Yeah I think Anger Management is decent but the rest are pretty bad...lets not forget he also directed Naked Gun 33 1/3, which is pretty funny
Old 11-12-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

This actually looks pretty entertaining, didn't expect the action elements.
Old 11-12-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It looks like an inferior take on After Hours and Into the Night. Hope there's a miraculous twist that it ends up being good.
Old 11-12-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

# 50 First Dates (2004)
I like 50 First Dates quite a bit, I think it's one of Sandler's legitimately good "Adam Sandler"-style comedies. I could have done without Sean Astin's lisp, but otherwise I liked it. Not as thrilled by Anger Management, but it's only mediocre, not terrible. Hated The Klumps, hated The Longest Yard. Like Tommy Boy, like Naked Gun 33 1/3, really like Get Smart, thought it was one of the best summer movies of 2008, much better than the lame trailers made it out to be.

Date Night looks alright. Wahlberg looks like he could be very funny and I really liked the Franco cameo too. Just the sight of him made me laugh. It's kind of like seeing Saul again.
Old 11-12-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Mark Wahlberg is comedy gold. The guy makes me crack up, so i'll see any comedy he's attached to.
Old 11-12-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

McPoyle!
Old 11-12-09, 04:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
I think Mark Wahlberg is comedy gold. The guy makes me crack up, so i'll see any comedy he's attached to.
He was at his most hilarious in The Happening.
Old 11-12-09, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

# 50 First Dates (2004)
I liked 50 First Dates, and thought Longest Yard was decent, I liked Nutty Professor 2 and My Fellow Americans too. I just didnt like Anger Management (Movie had a great trailer though)

Date Night looks like it could be fun but predictable, I like the Cast and Steve Carell and Tina Fey make a great couple. I will probably see it. I love Steve Carell, I think hes good in pretty much everything.
Old 11-12-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd agree except also for Naked Gun 33 1/3.. although I hand that more to Pat Proft's script and Abrahams/Zucker producing.
Old 11-14-09, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

This could be an okay movie. I least the trailer looks decent...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/datenight/
Old 04-08-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me (2 1/2 stars): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/43087/date-night/
Orndorf (4 stars): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/43109/date-night/

But I really liked Get Smart, so what do I know?
Old 04-08-10, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

If they can't get a decent comedy with who many Americans consider (quite arguably) the two funniest male and female actors around, then they have dropped the ball.

A lot of comic talent in one movie does not always =funny. See Couples Retreat as proof.
Old 04-09-10, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

4 stars from Orndof? That means its worse than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull! Pass.
Old 04-09-10, 01:16 AM

So far the reviews have been positive. 66% is not bad for a comedy. It's actually good. Anchorman had the same percentage and that's one of the funniest movies ever.

And it seems like the complaints are coming from it being an action comedy rather than not being a straight out comedy. I can dig that, I enjoyed Pineapple Express and Steve Carell is comedy gold as is Tina Fey. It should be a fun watch, I'll catch it on Saturday.

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Me (2 1/2 stars): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/43087/date-night/
Orndorf (4 stars): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/43109/date-night/

But I really liked Get Smart, so what do I know?
And you also recommended I love You Beth Cooper and hated 500 Days of Summer. So yeappp.

Last edited by Idioteque...; 04-09-10 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-09-10, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

# 50 First Dates (2004)
I didn't like Tommy Boy, but then I could only take Chris Farley in small doses. I never saw The Longest Yard, but I liked everything else on that list...especially My Fellow Americans. Lemmon and Garner were great in that! Very much looking forward to seeing Date Night. And did I see Mila Kunis in the trailer with Franco?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.