Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here seen Donkey Punch?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone here check it out, now that it's out on DVD?

I thought it was one of the better, "things-gone-horribly-wrong" horror movies I've seen in a while. I'm not saying this is a masterpiece, but it has some nice style to it & I especially liked the performance of the one really big asshole-dude, I forgot his name. If you dig these types of genre flicks I think this is one of the better ones.

Last edited by Sessa17; 04-10-09 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-10-09, 04:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Anyone here seen Donkey Punch?

I didn't bother because I knew it couldn't live up to the expectations put in place by its title.
Old 04-10-09, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw it a few days ago. I liked it as well. Could have been unbearable considering the characters and only 1 major setting but I thought it was handled rather well.
Old 04-10-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I saw it a while back. It was a decent way to kill 90 minutes.
Old 04-10-09, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

But what I want to know is, do any donkeys actually get punched?
Old 04-10-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I could get past the title.
Old 04-10-09, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My buddy got the screener and liked it a bit. Too me, it sounds like its stupid, but I'll Netflix it.
Old 04-10-09, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's 90 minutes of my life I will NOT get back. I kept on hoping it would go off into Severence territory, where people are just brutally killed. Save for the one brutal killing in the movie, the rest were kind of meh. It was clear they had a lack of budget in this. And they certainly didn't make up for that with a good story and good actors.

It fails as a horror movie, it fails as a suspense movie, it fails as an "erotic drama." It succeeds tremendously at wasting your time and being quite boring. I stuck with it hoping something would change pace in the movie, but it never does. It remained bad through out.
Old 04-10-09, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ I agree with him.
Old 04-11-09, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have it and I'm working on a DVDTalk review.
Old 04-11-09, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I vote terrible
Old 04-11-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The O
I vote terrible
Dang, I wish I read that before watching it on DVD.
Old 04-11-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I vote terrible
I just couldn't disagree more. Its as if the reviewer had never seen a film like this before. His main criticism is that this is an exploitation film, w/ a lack of brains & it's low budget. That is the entire point of the film. It's a "things-gone-horribly-wrong" film. It is low budget, it does take place on one set & it has excessive violence. That is the entire point of the film. It's not about finding redeeming values in it's characters or judging the characters dispicable deeds which this review does. Why watch these movies if that is your mindset. This is just a film about watching just how absurdly fucked up a bunch of dumb kids can get on a boat full of drugs. Given that is all the premise is, & I know that going in, the film does a good job IMO for what it is.
Old 04-11-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I just couldn't disagree more. Its as if the reviewer had never seen a film like this before. His main criticism is that this is an exploitation film, w/ a lack of brains & it's low budget. That is the entire point of the film. It's a "things-gone-horribly-wrong" film. It is low budget, it does take place on one set & it has excessive violence. That is the entire point of the film. It's not about finding redeeming values in it's characters or judging the characters dispicable deeds which this review does. Why watch these movies if that is your mindset. This is just a film about watching just how absurdly fucked up a bunch of dumb kids can get on a boat full of drugs. Given that is all the premise is, & I know that going in, the film does a good job IMO for what it is.
That guy who posted that link, FYI, is "the reviewer".
Old 04-11-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I vote terrible
great, this probably means its pretty decent.
Old 04-11-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
That guy who posted that link, FYI, is "the reviewer".
Didn't notice, doesn't change my point & opinions.

It's a low budget, overly-violent exploitation film about dumb horny kids descending into pervisity. That is the entire point of the film & the genre. The movie IS low budget, it doesn't try to be more, & the reviewer knocks that the film is low budget. The entire point of the film is that the characters are repugnant & dispicable, but the reviewer critcizes the movie for it, as if he is watching a low-budget sleeze-fest expecting so much more from the characters. If this is the case, why watch a genre piece like this? This movie isn't about "authentic nail-biting" as the reviewer knocks if for. The movie IS about watching a sex & drug-filled descent into insanity. But the reviewer completely misses all this & judges the movie based on something it in no way attempts to be.

It's like if you have no interest in a science fiction film, but then write a review saying the original Star Wars is a bad movie b/c it has all these funny looking aliens & takes place in space.
Old 04-11-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The leeway some people give bad movies amazes me sometimes. Does this apply to other areas of life, too? What if I go into work, turn in a sub par work and at my performance review my boss says, "We knew you lacked certain skills going in, so what work you did turn in was a good job IMO for what it was. We hired you to balance our budget for the year but you did make some nifty looking spreadsheets instead." No, it wouldn't work out that way.

It just amazes me people shrug off crap just because it's low budget. Low budget doesn't mean it has to be bad. There are low budget movies out there that exceed because they turn out with good acting and a good script.

But I guess if you want to see a movie about a boat full of kids doing stupid stuff, and you can forgive crappy film making because they just didn't have enough money, then knock yourself out. But I don't need (actually DIDN'T need to) waste time watching this movie to come to the conclusion that the movie made: stupid kids on drugs do more stupid things. And if that's the only point of the movie you are after, then go for it. I was sold on the movie because it was supposed to be a decent low budget horror movie. It was an epic fail on that level.

And, YES, this movie is being marketed as a "HORROR/SUSPENSE." It's NOT being marketed as a "things-gone-horribly-wrong" film. The fact that this movie was made is the only thing that went horribly wrong.

And to add: the O didn't give the movie a bad review because it had a low budget. He gave it a bad review because the material for the movie was too thin to sustain for 90 minutes and the suspense that was in the movie was drawn out and the dialog was primitive. Sounds like some VERY constructive criticisms to me. In fact, the whole review was rather well written, and not just "ME HATE MOVIE CUZ IT WAZ MADE WIT NO MUNNEY."

Can a good movie about sex, drugs and insanity delving into horrific suspense be made with very little money? You bet! SEVERENCE, for example. Well...not quite as much sex and drugs in that one, but still... They can be made. This, unfortunately, wasn't one of them.

Last edited by calhoun07; 04-11-09 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-11-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
The leeway some people give bad movies amazes me sometimes. Does this apply to other areas of life, too? What if I go into work, turn in a sub par work and at my performance review my boss says, "We knew you lacked certain skills going in, so what work you did turn in was a good job IMO for what it was. We hired you to balance our budget for the year but you did make some nifty looking spreadsheets instead." No, it wouldn't work out that way.
This is just dumb, we are talking about movies, it's movie talk, this has nothing to do with other areas of life. I'm sorry, but IMO this just isn't a bad film, I'm not excusing anything.

It just amazes me people shrug off crap just because it's low budget. Low budget doesn't mean it has to be bad. There are low budget movies out there that exceed because they turn out with good acting and a good script.
It's called a difference of opinion. Crap is crap, I don't care what the budget is, IMO this movie is not that bad. I'm not saying it's brilliant, I don't even own it, it was a rental & surprised me. I generally don't see this as bad film-making, the entire film takes place on one set, given that I actually thought it did have some style, & unlike the reviewer & I guess you, I liked the performances by the guys in this movies, esepcially the major scumbag one.

But I guess if you want to see a movie about a boat full of kids doing stupid stuff, and you can forgive crappy film making because they just didn't have enough money, then knock yourself out. But I don't need (actually DIDN'T need to) waste time watching this movie to come to the conclusion that the movie made: stupid kids on drugs do more stupid things. And if that's the only point of the movie you are after, then go for it. I was sold on the movie because it was supposed to be a decent low budget horror movie. It was an epic fail on that level.
I have no clue what the movie was marketed as, I'd never saw this big marketing campaign you did. I read a couple of blurbs about it, rented it, & liked it. IMO it is pure exploitation, I didn't get any attempt at anything else that I guess you guys were looking for.

And, YES, this movie is being marketed as a "HORROR/SUSPENSE." It's NOT being marketed as a "things-gone-horribly-wrong" film. The fact that this movie was made is the only thing that went horribly wrong.
Wow, you just seem deeply offended by this movie, I'm sorry.

And to add: the O didn't give the movie a bad review because it had a low budget. He gave it a bad review because the material for the movie was too thin to sustain for 90 minutes and the suspense that was in the movie was drawn out and the dialog was primitive. Sounds like some VERY constructive criticisms to me. In fact, the whole review was rather well written, and not just "ME HATE MOVIE CUZ IT WAZ MADE WIT NO MUNNEY."
Don't really get your point here, I never said the review wasn't well written. I just disagree w/ it. The reviewer complains about how stupid the kids are, but that is 99 percet of genre films, horror films, slasher films, films like these. I know this going in, if you are going to expect more out of kids in a film like this, I don't know why you are watching them. All I got from this movie is it being about fucked up kids doing fucked up shit. I just never saw this attempt at being something more you guys did.
Old 04-11-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
great, this probably means its pretty decent.
You keep beating this drum, Riot, but from the looks of your 2009 movie diary, we really aren’t as wildly diverse in taste as you enjoy believing.

Originally Posted by Sessa17
The reviewer complains about how stupid the kids are, but that is 99 percet of genre films, horror films, slasher films, films like these. I know this going in, if you are going to expect more out of kids in a film like this, I don't know why you are watching them.
And the 1% that remains is traditionally the cream the rises to the top of the genre. I found "Punch" aiming to be dumb just to excuse screenwriting inconsistencies and to pad itself out, not to embellish a specific artistic choice that you obviously picked up on. IMO, it's a lazy picture that leads with regurgitated shock value when the premise invited a chance for clever genre manipulation the director was unwilling to pursue. Better films of this low-tech ilk twirl the knobs with outstanding concentration on tension and diseased characterization. Again, IMO, “Punch” never rose to the occasion.

However, I did like the song from the opening titles.
Old 04-11-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You keep beating this drum, Riot, but from the looks of your 2009 movie diary, we really aren’t as wildly diverse in taste as you enjoy believing.
actually i think you're a good writer i guess i'm just bitter towards you regarding a handful of reviews where i feel you go over board and come across quite pretentious (see: wall-e review). i also don't see you as a horror movie fan so your reviews in the genre are normally the opposite of what my tastes are. true, 75% of the time i end up agreeing with your reviews but in that other 25% we're normally at other ends of the spectrum.

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 04-11-09 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-11-09, 08:23 PM
Suspended

This movie has already been done.

NSFW http://www.chatsworthpictures.com/donkeypunch.jpg