Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

La Grande Bouffe - released today 4/7/09

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 12:48 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Grande Bouffe - released today 4/7/09

Does anyone know if the U.S. release of La Grande Bouffe is the same length as the uncut 130 minute version released by Image Entertainment back in 2000? Amazon has the running time at 130 minutes but other sites have it as 124 minutes (Barnes and Noble, Best Buy). The new release is rated NC-17 so I would think it would be uncut, but the running times are throwing me off. If the new one is cut then I would probably just shell out the extra money for the old Image release.
Old 04-07-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: La Grande Bouffe - released today 4/7/09

The 4% PAL -> NTSC transfer speedup probably makes up the differences between the two timing references - which comes out to exactly 6 minutes (PAL discs play 4% faster). The confusion might only be at the various sites themselves ..including Koch.

The only other reason: they actually - and coincidentally - cut it down 6 minutes. What's more likely?

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison....php?fid=10572

Every release based on DVDcompare findings make sense based on the way the calculations work. [US = 130 European = 124]

So it's a 50/50 bet until someone with the new release (and familiar with the original material) can confirm. Perhaps you could be the guinea pig ...
Old 04-07-09, 11:58 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by visitor Q
The 4% PAL -> NTSC transfer speedup probably makes up the differences between the two timing references - which comes out to exactly 6 minutes (PAL discs play 4% faster). The confusion might only be at the various sites themselves ..including Koch.

The only other reason: they actually - and coincidentally - cut it down 6 minutes. What's more likely?

Every release based on DVDcompare findings make sense based on the way the calculations work. [US = 130 European = 124]

So it's a 50/50 bet until someone with the new release (and familiar with the original material) can confirm. Perhaps you could be the guinea pig ...
We'll see if I have any luck on Thursday. A bunch of the Borders stores have it but none of the ones I am going near. Hopefully I'll find it at a Newbury Comics or maybe Best Buy.
Old 04-08-09, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

I just picked up the Marco Ferreri box set of 8 films at a good price, which includes this film. If you are interested in Frreri's other films, I recommend you pick up the boxset as it includes the full documentary on Ferreri (only a portion is included on the La Grande Bouffe DVD).
Old 04-08-09, 06:38 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Jaymole
I just picked up the Marco Ferreri box set of 8 films at a good price, which includes this film. If you are interested in Frreri's other films, I recommend you pick up the boxset as it includes the full documentary on Ferreri (only a portion is included on the La Grande Bouffe DVD).
I was considering it. The only other Ferreri film I've seen is The Last Woman, which I don't forsee ever getting a dvd release. I have been curious about his other films though.
Old 04-09-09, 12:48 PM

FWIW, the running time of the 'la Grande Bouffe' version in that Ferreri set (released last yr, also by Koch Lorber) is 129+ minutes.
Old 04-10-09, 07:56 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by theWitcher
FWIW, the running time of the 'la Grande Bouffe' version in that Ferreri set (released last yr, also by Koch Lorber) is 129+ minutes.

That solves it. It must just be a PAL-NTSC conversion thing. Thanks to all for your help.