Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does how good someone acts matter in movies to you?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 03:50 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think coming through realistic in movies is good enough for me. I appreciate the actors who go into a movie to stretch themselves but my favorite movies aren't really actor's movies, they're pulp style action/adventures, scifi/fantasy. Some of my favorite actors aren't known for their "acting", but more for their regular screen persona which they stick to basically only stretching a bit when needed, Clint Eastwood, Sean Connery, it's whether i like the story/premise first and then if i do the stars come after it. For example Colossus: The Forbin Project is a great movie that has a no-name cast in it, also Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Escape from New York, a lot of b-movies too.

Last edited by FRwL; 08-13-09 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-07-09, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Does how good someone acts matter in movies to you?

Their political views are far more important to me.
Old 04-07-09, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel like some of the people I know and watch movies with are not as tuned in to or interested in the qualities of dramatic acting as I am, especially if it's low-key or quiet. I watched The French Connection with someone the other day and I don't think he felt either way about Gene Hackman or Roy Schieder's performances.
Old 04-07-09, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It helps when an actor is giving a quality portrayal but I won't condemn a movie if the actors aren't Oscar material. There's a lot of movies out there that I enjoy while the acting was horrible.
Old 04-07-09, 09:09 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In general they'll ba few times where I'm like..damn..it's a bit off. Like Maggie Grace, she couldn't sell me the role too much. Neeson did well I think in Taken, not fantastic but for the character he was cool. Daniel Day-Lewis was just fucking awesome in Gangs of New York...every time he was on screen it was a joy. He stole any and all scenes where he's involved in that film. The only man who was toe to tow with him was Neeson in that film. Just depends on the movie. Also..Katie Holmes wins for being so lost in a film like Batman Begins...she is nowhere as woman enough to be in a world like that. She was so small and petite...I've only seen her in this and Pieces of April, which was kinda good. But BB had all this greatness and then...little Katie Holmes trying to stand strong against all the great actors around her.
Old 04-07-09, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Good acting is integral for a movie to succeed. Although, some actors don't necessarily need to be good actors if they're cast well and are believable in their roles.

Similar to what SolidSanke says above about Katie Holmes, if an actor isn't believable in their role, it hurts the movie - and only half of that believability comes from "good acting", the other half is casting, or the actor's presence.
Old 04-07-09, 12:01 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A big one for me is Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane in Superman Returns. I didn't buy her in that role at all... she seemed like a kid trying to play grown-up.

Then you have the aforementioned Arnold Schwarzenegger. He's not the best actor, but I buy him in his action roles.
Old 04-07-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
Good acting is integral for a movie to succeed. Although, some actors don't necessarily need to be good actors if they're cast well and are believable in their roles.
I agree, it's very important. Great acting lends to the authenticity of the picture. Take The Dark Knight as an example, Heath Ledger's performance was a major factor in the quality of the movie.

A movie cannot be great without great performances.
Old 04-07-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Superhero movies, in particular, seem to rely on strong star performances in order to click with an audience. SUPERMAN (1978) with Chris Reeves is probably the first of its type that I'd categorize this way. More recently, of course, we've had Christian Bale in BATMAN BEGINS, Robert Downey Jr. in IRON MAN, and Heath Ledger in THE DARK KNIGHT.

Films like SUPERMAN RETURNS, DAREDEVIL, WATCHMEN and the two Hulk films didn't have the same impact because they didn't have strong star performances. I'm somewhat hesitant about Tobey Maguire in SPIDERMAN myself, but enough of the audience felt he delivered and I believe that his portrayal of Peter Parker/Spiderman remains a key ingredient in the SPIDERMAN films' enormous success.
Old 04-07-09, 02:15 PM
Banned

Superman Returns had the actor...they just needed to make him talk. I didn't know who he was as a character exactly. Daredevil....well he was just fucked all over. Watchmen had good casting I believe..Haley especially sold his Rorschach character. I thought everyone was well cast...the weakest character in Watchmen, which I also have noticed more recently in the comic as well, is Silk Spectre. She's cool and all..but the other guys are much more fucked up than she is, I thought the actress sold Spectre fine..

Last edited by Solid Snake; 04-07-09 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-07-09, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, but how good someone grammars matters in thread titles to me.
Old 04-07-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Superman Returns had the actor...they just needed to make him talk. I didn't know who he was as a character exactly. Daredevil....well he was just fucked all over. Watchmen had good casting I believe..Haley especially sold his Rorschach character. I thought everyone was well cast...the weakest character in Watchmen, which I also have noticed more recently in the comic as well, is Silk Spectre. She's cool and all..but the other guys are much more fucked up than she is, I thought the actress sold Spectre fine..
Haley was great in WATCHMEN, but it wasn't a strong star performance. It was a strong character portrayal, which isn't the same thing and is not enough to sustain a nearly-3-hour superhero epic. And nobody in WATCHMEN was strong enough to deliver what the film needed, more of a problem with the scope of the story and structure, not necessarily with the casting.

Brandon Routh--sorry, he just wasn't Superman to enough of the audience, and certainly not to me.
Old 04-07-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
No, but how good someone grammars matters in thread titles to me.
Pot and kettle come to mind.
Old 04-07-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I agree, it's very important. Great acting lends to the authenticity of the picture. Take The Dark Knight as an example, Heath Ledger's performance was a major factor in the quality of the movie.

A movie cannot be great without great performances.
Yeah, and the other end of the spectrum, The Happening, was painful (for me) primarily because of the atrocious acting....
Old 04-07-09, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dino88
Pot and kettle come to mind.
Broken sarcasm detector comes to mind.
Old 04-07-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If it wasn't for Denzel Washington, Training Day would not be very memorable. If it wasn't for Robert Downey Jr. or Heath Ledger, Iron Man and The Dark Knight would be on the same level as Transformers.

Yes, acting matters. It can make a generic movie watchable and a decent movie unmissable.
Old 04-07-09, 10:05 PM
Banned

For the first two I agree cuz well they were the leads. Ledger made the film better but I'm sure it would've been good if Ledger wasn't in it (maybe I dunno...it's too hard to see that especially now), I don't think it would've been generic if that's what you meant for TDK. I mean it still had Oldman, Bale, Caine, Freeman, and Eckhart...
Old 04-07-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Their political views are far more important to me.
Give it a rest, we get it.
Old 04-07-09, 10:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Give it a rest, we get it.
Old 04-07-09, 11:01 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
If it wasn't for Robert Downey Jr. or Heath Ledger, Iron Man and The Dark Knight would be on the same level as Transformers.

Meaning neither would be as good as... Transformers?!

I don't often bother with matters subjective on these boards because it tends to be an exercise in futility. It's just so completely opposite my own point of view that it stuck out to me.
Old 04-07-09, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

No, they elevated each of the movies aboye and beyond what they were. The Dark Knight certainly has other great performances (Oldman among them) but the movie is a bit overlong and The Joker is its true spark.
Old 04-08-09, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dogmatica

Meaning neither would be as good as... Transformers?!

I don't often bother with matters subjective on these boards because it tends to be an exercise in futility. It's just so completely opposite my own point of view that it stuck out to me.
Shia La Beouf provided another example of a strong star performance that made what could have been just another giant robot movie into something endearing for audiences way beyond the Transformers' fanbase.
Old 04-08-09, 01:01 PM

Dark Knight, Transformers, Superman, Iron Man, give me a break! They are all big budget kid's movies!! I remember buying them as comic strips when I was a kid! When talking about "great acting" where are the Brando's, the Burton's, the Tracy's, the Laughton's, the Olivier's etc of today?
Old 04-08-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My favorite actor is Charles Bronson. I think that provides a succinct response.
Old 04-08-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
My favorite actor is Charles Bronson. I think that provides a succinct response.
Bronson was great when he was a character actor. Becoming a star ruined him.

Great Bronson performances
APACHE
VERA CRUZ
DRUM BEAT
JUBAL
RUN OF THE ARROW
THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN
THE GREAT ESCAPE
THE SANDPIPER
THE DIRTY DOZEN
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST

As a B-star, he was fine in MACHINE GUN KELLY.

But when he became a bonafide movie star in the 1970s, his range got limited and his films got more formulaic. Every so often after 1970 he did something worthwhile, such as HARD TIMES or TELEFON or THE EVIL THAT MEN DO, but it was pretty rare. I always found him miscast in DEATH WISH.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.