Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Raite 715. Upgrade to 3H, no Macrovision.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Raite 715. Upgrade to 3H, no Macrovision.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-00, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have the latest US model Raite 715, here's step-by-steps instructions on how to upgrade the firmware from 3E to 3H. Once you do, you'll be able to disable Macrovision, pick region code or make it code-free, etc.
www.arrive.at/raite3h/

Pat Gomes
Old 04-29-00, 08:24 PM
EAV

Can you confirm whether the 3H Beta should or should not have a background image? After upgrading from the Yamakawa 3C firmware to the 3H firmware, the background becomes black.
Old 04-29-00, 09:13 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by EAV:
After upgrading from the Yamakawa 3C firmware to the 3H firmware, the background becomes black.<HR>

Huh? You don't get the blue background with the Yamakawa logo? Did you use the files on my site, or did you get them from Seditec? I can't vouch for theirs, since I don't know how often they are updating them.

Are you getting all of your menus, but not the background picture? That's interesting. There are some European hacks that allow you to insert your own picture, instead of the Raite/Yamakawa/Kiss one.

Do you get MP3 BMPs?

Let me know, I'm curious about this.
Thanks,
Pat
[email protected]
Old 04-29-00, 09:34 PM

I think I know what you mean now, EAV. When you first turn the player on, with 3H, you don't get the Yamakawa logo screen, but it *does* show up when you change discs, insert an MP3 disc, etc. Right?

That's what mine does!

Pat
Old 04-30-00, 05:31 AM
EAV

Hi Pat,

Welcome to DVD Talk! I got your info from the eGroups email list on Friday and was up fairly late last night trying this out. I've been successful for the most part...the only failures coming from my use of inadequate CD-Rs and CD-RWs. I've discovered that inexpensive media does not work at all (i.e. Great Quality brand disks purchased on sale at Frys). Running the exact same Apasswd and Bank30 files (under the same ISO 9660 conditions) on cheap versus more expensive media yielded very different results. I was finally able to get this all to work using Memorex CD-RW Platinum disks.

As for the Yamakawa Blue screen, it appears when I downgrade to 3C, but once I upgrade to 3H I receive nothing but a black screen. There is no difference when I change disks. In fact, when I stop (both on pre- and full stop) the player or change disks I have a residuale screen shot from the film that I have been watching. I haven't tried an MP3 BMP yet, but I'll keep you posted when I try tomorrow. I am getting all menus but the parental control and password settings under preferences. I used the 3H file from your page, but also have the version downloaded off of Seditec. Do you think that will make a difference?

Another strange thing has been trying to go from 3H back down to 3C. I tried using F2Y0XGPX.3C 03B2703 and kept receiving the incorrect password error. Finally I tried F2Y0XENX.3C 03B2703 and got it to work. Perhaps I am missing something, but since the firmware ID for 3H is F2Y0XGPX.3H, I assumed that F2Y0XGPX.3C would get you back down to 3C. Would this have something to do with changing the settings to NTSC? If so, then I'm curious why upgrading from 3C to 3H didn't require the F2Y0XENX.3H. Oh well...it works!!

By the way, I used the YST program to change the 3C Yamakawa background while running DVDs. Since this modifies the Bank30 file, I needed to create a new password: F2Y0XENX.3C F6073A7. However, I did this after I had already completed the 3H upgrade and decided to try going back to the 3C, so this wouldn't be related to the 3H blackscreen issue.

Thanks again,

Erik

Old 04-30-00, 03:39 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by EAV:
Welcome to DVD Talk!<HR>

Thanks! It took me many failed attempts before I got the procedure right, so I thought I'd share it with people who might be in the same boat.

quote:<HR>I've been successful for the most part...the only failures coming from my use of inadequate CD-Rs and CD-RWs. I've discovered that inexpensive media does not work at all… Running the exact same (files) on cheap versus more expensive media yielded very different results. I was finally able to get this all to work using Memorex CD-RW Platinum disks. <HR>

I'm going to add a Troubleshooting page to my instructions, and I'll mention this. Thanks. So far, the one other thing people have had a hard time with, has been creating a disc in ISO9660 format, which is why I included the Easy CD Creator images.

quote:<HR>As for the Yamakawa Blue screen, it appears when I downgrade to 3C, but once I upgrade to 3H I receive nothing but a black screen. There is no difference when I change disks. <HR>

I played with my 715 last night, to check on this, and realized that I needed to add something about this to the instructions. So I did. You'll only see the Yamakawa logo screen when you play MP3 discs, with this 3H. May have something to do with the beta status.

[b]
quote:<HR> In fact, when I stop (both on pre- and full stop) the player or change disks I have a residual screen shot from the film that I have been watching. <HR>

Yeah, this is kinda cool, but I can't remember if it did this in 3E or not, so I didn't mention it. Did it do it in 3E?

quote:<HR>I am getting all menus but the parental control and password settings under preferences. <HR>

Right. Me too. I guess some people *would* like to use the parental controls. I better add this to my site.

quote:<HR>I used the 3H file from your page, but also have the version downloaded off of Seditec. Do you think that will make a difference? <HR>

No. Not until they change their files, which will probably be once they release the final 3H.

quote:<HR>Another strange thing has been trying to go from 3H back down to 3C. I tried using F2Y0XGPX.3C 03B2703 and kept receiving the incorrect password error. Finally I tried F2Y0XENX.3C 03B2703 and got it to work. <HR>

Ooh, this is good. I was thinking of adding an Undo to my site, in case people don't like 3H, and I'll need this. Thanks, again.

quote:<HR> Perhaps I am missing something, but since the firmware ID for 3H is F2Y0XGPX.3H, I assumed that F2Y0XGPX.3C would get you back down to 3C. Would this have something to do with changing the settings to NTSC? If so, then I'm curious why upgrading from 3C to 3H didn't require the F2Y0XENX.3H. Oh well...it works!! <HR>

This is why I had such a hard time, initially, and why I published the instructions once I got them to work. I don't think they are consistent with their password format. Or, I don't fully get it!

quote:<HR>By the way, I used the YST program to change the 3C Yamakawa background while running DVDs. Since this modifies the Bank30 file, I needed to create a new password: F2Y0XENX.3C F6073A7. However, I did this after I had already completed the 3H upgrade and decided to try going back to the 3C, so this wouldn't be related to the 3H blackscreen issue. <HR>

As a project, I think I'll try to add the Yamakawa and Raite screens to 3H, so people can have the logo of their choice as background. Does YST work with 3H? I'll need to do some research.

As an aside, someone emailed me with a password combination that allows going straight from 3E to 3H. I need to check it out, but if it works, it would be helpful. I tried a bunch of combinations and could never get it to work. We'll see.

Thanks for your help, Erik, and the good ideas!

Pat
Old 04-30-00, 07:14 PM
EAV

Thanks for the reply Pat. I have just completed the process of going back to 3E and when you hit stop it reverts to the Raite image...no residual film screen shots. As for the YST program (can be found at http://www.yst.de.vu/ ), it currently only works with the 3C firmware that I can tell. The newer version has two options that allow you to create passwords or modify the firmware to include a different image for any variation of 3C (i.e. Raite, Yamakawa, Monyka, SEG, Tokai, & Kiss). The YST site has the email addresses of the creators, so I will try and contact them and see if a 3H version is on the horizon. If you go to the YST site, they have a couple of sample screen alternates. I used the first one that utilizes the Yamakawa blue screen and has the letters DVD with a disc below it. It is actually very nice and appears to be based upon the one used on other players like my Panasonic.

One interesting point regarding the downgrade from 3H to 3C is that the system does freeze. I have found that once the system indicates "update success" you need to either unplug or turn your power strip on and off. This seems to have no negative impact on the player. However, you must be sure the machine has frozen and is no still in the update process. This can be difficult when the messages on screen turn into jibberish. I've found the best course is to wait until the reading icon (the circle on the front display) has stopped moving.

I'll email you the passwords and firmware files for the reverse process so you don't have to go to the trouble of creating them yourself.

Thans again,

Erik

[This message has been edited by EAV (edited April 30, 2000).]

Old 04-30-00, 07:44 PM
EAV

Sorry Pat, I forgot to mention the question of going directly from 3E to 3H. Both the Seditec and the Yamakawa board (in German...can be found at http://www.dvdboard.de/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi )
note that this conversion is not possible. I have read several posts on the Yamakawa message board that indicate that people have been able to do this, but more often than not I've seen people mention that it ruined the machine, requiring a new EEPROM. Until the final version of 3H is released by Seditec (which is said to allow the 3E to 3H conversion), I'd probably use caution when trying it.

Another great message board for the Raite can be found at MP3.com: http://bboard.mp3.com/mp3/ubb/Forum73/HTML/000108.html

It's especially good since Michael Doherty, the customer support representative from Pixie (the US distributor for Raite), has posted there in the past. I'm not sure if he still works at Pixie and I have not received a response to my emails to them regarding the possibility of the 3H firmware being released in the US. Nevertheless, it is still a interesting source of info...especially if MP3s are your bag.

Erik

Old 04-30-00, 11:10 PM

I've just updated the site. Simplified the upgrading process, and clarified a couple of things.
http://www.arrive.at/raite3h/

A couple of people came to the rescue and emailed me the correct password/bank30.com combination to go straight from 3E to 3H. Counting the files you sent me, I must have received 10 different bank30.rom files today!

I created the passwords to go back from 3H to 3E, in case people change their minds, and attempted the upgrade (3E-3H). It worked like a charm! Just to push my luck, I downgraded it to 3E, and back to 3H, again, and it worked without a glitch.

So far, all of the email I got is positive, no one has fried their machine.

Another great message board for the Raite can be found at MP3.com

Yeah, I posted about my site there, too.

I have not received a response to my emails to them regarding the possibility of the 3H firmware being released in the US.

Last I heard from him, they (Pixie) were waiting for 3G chips to arrive. That was about a week ago. I suspect that the Raite chip may be developed separately from from the Yamakawa chip, even though they both overlap. Otherwise, why would the US distributor be waiting for their first shipment of 3G, while the German distributor is about to release their final 3H?

About YST. It's probably a simple process for them to make a 3H version. All they need to do is find where the graphic starts in the bank30.rom file, and adjust accordingly. Maybe they are waiting for the final version,
afraid to waster their time since the file will change.

Thanks again for your help, Erik, and keep us informed on YST. It would be nice to be able to insert the Raite graphic into the final 3H, just so people would have a Raite background in a Raite player.

Pat
Pat

[This message has been edited by pgomes (edited April 30, 2000).]
Old 04-30-00, 11:54 PM
EAV

Nice job Pat. I didn't think to try the files I used to get from 3C to 3E while still in 3H. This is great if you want to go directly back to 3E.

Keep up the good work!

Erik
Old 05-01-00, 12:02 AM

Oh, and one more thing...
Have you seen the image for an English-language 3D anywhere? The only 3D I found is the French version (Kiss brand). I would like to be able to downgrade to the last American version that allowed MV disable.

Let me know if you see it.

Thanks again,
Pat
Old 05-01-00, 04:46 AM
EAV

My understanding was that 3D was only released on an EPROM and not on the web, but I'll keep my eyes out for it. I'm sure somebody has it..

An odd thing though, I utilized both F1R0XENX.3H 714E5A7 (your 3H to 3E downgrade)and F2Y0XENX.3C 8D7C644 (my 3H to 3C downgrade) to successfully go directly back to 3E. Very strange that a 3C password, combined with the 3E bank file would work. I really would like to figure our what Raite is thinking!