Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Problems with Stuart Little...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Problems with Stuart Little...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-00, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Folks - I'm pretty new hear, but I had a quick question...

Last night I purchased Stuart Little on DVD... Got it home, and just handed it off to my son. All of a sudden he's telling me it doesn't PLAY anything!

Come to find out, it doesn't even PLAY the movie! It will only show the title page, and pretend to go off and play catagories, like playing the movie, but it then immediately returns to the root page.

SO, sitting there frustrated, I noticed that the DVD Player had the PBC lit up, so, I turned that off, and we are able to actually WATCH the movie, but it goes chapter by chapter, and looks terrible!!!

Any ideas what I need to do about this? It is a Raite DVD Player, and I haven't had this problem on ANY other DVD before...

Thanks!

Steve
Old 04-22-00, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Santoman first thing I would do is go to retailer (Best Buy, Circuit City, ...)
And ask if you can test their DVD player/TV/Home Theatre setting with your DVD.
(Or visit a friend that has a DVD player.)

It will help you narrow down on the problem, and you will know for sure if it s your player or DVD.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-00, 02:38 PM

Yup, it's definately weird... All my
other DVD's work great, including things that didn't work on my brother-in-law's DVD player, like Matrix. Even the Mummy Looked Incredible, compared to my Other Brother-in-law's RCA dvd...

Well, I think what I'll do is bring it to them and see if it works there... Just curious if anyone else had problems with Stuart Little as well...

Thanks!

sms
Old 04-23-00, 02:16 AM

The kids already watched it three times with no problems on my Panasonic A110.

[This message has been edited by Jetfan (edited April 22, 2000).]
Old 04-23-00, 12:15 PM

Jetfan - Which version? We've got the widescreen version... Everything else works fine! So, I've got it on netflix coming, so we'll see how that version works...

Old 04-23-00, 02:08 PM

I'm experiencing the same problem with the "Full Screen" version too.

My home player is the Apex AD-600A and when you load the DVD it automaticaly startes in the Special features menu. The "Main Menu" and "Play Movie" selections do nothing except for reload the special features menu again.

I played it on my Notebook with Software Cinemaster and it worked fine.

It would appear that the "Stuart Little" titles have some Bad DVD Authoring that is making trouble for some home players.

It actaully starts
Old 04-23-00, 02:10 PM

I forgot to mention that I was able to get the movie to play on the Apex AD-600A when I pressed the PBC menu off button on the remote control.

I wonder if there is firmware update for the Apex?
Old 04-23-00, 02:36 PM

I found this info on another site. Maybe it applies to Stuart Little

It seems that the Apex AD-600A cannot play any DVD that uses Seamless Branching technology (ie. "Stargate: SE" or "The Abyss"). Check out this review for more info: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews/apexad600a.html

Old 04-24-00, 12:32 PM

That's interesting... Nowhere does it say anything about branching in the DVD manual, or on the Stuart Little Disk...

Oh, well I guess I'll be trying to return this one to Wally-world...

Looks like in the future, I might want to be careful and rent before I buy, or, do the ultimate, and get a new DVD player! Yup, can see the happiness on the wife's face already!!!
Old 04-24-00, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mt WS version was reluctant to load in my 2109 that I have no other problems with

------------------
Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
Jim's DVD Tracker list
But John, when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.
Old 04-24-00, 04:11 PM

I had no problem playing the WS version on my Toshiba SD6109.
Old 04-25-00, 04:34 AM

I've got the WS version of Stuart Little and my copy has the same problem on my DVD player, an APEX AD-600A. I tried it on a friend's Apex and it didn't work there, either. However, my copy worked great on a DVD-ROM drive and a friend's Sony DVD player (no idea what model.)

I did manage to play the movie successfully on the apex, but the features didn't work right. When at the Special Features menu (the only one you can really get to on the Apex) hit the 'resume' button on the remote and the movie will begin...

Old 04-26-00, 01:09 PM

And a solution was found...

Thank you bergerdml! Ok, so I can't get all the COOL features on the DVD, but I can at least watch it after I hit the RESUME Button!

Very cool, and thank you. When we watched it the other night, we had done it after hitting the PBC button, and it was like it was skipping!

Thanks!

Steve
Old 04-28-00, 10:19 PM
Topgun94

Stuart Little is one of the growing list of titles that doesn't work correctly on the Apex. Stargate and Abyss loop because of the Apex's seamless branching problem and the Sixth Sense switches to 16X9 mode a few times on its own while playing. From personal experience I can only recommend this player and the Raite as a second player. If you are getting your first player get a name brand like Toshiba or Sony.

------------------
Aaron
My DVD Collection
My Rather Small Laserdisc Collection