Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Film composer Maurice Jarre dies at age 84

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-09, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't see this posted anywhere. Sorry to hear of his passing. He did some memorable film scores. Most notably for David Lean. RIP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7971223.stm

Sarkozy tribute to composer Jarre

French president Nicolas Sarkozy has paid tribute to Oscar-winning film composer Maurice Jarre, who has died in Los Angeles at the age of 84.

Mr Sarkozy called French-born Jarre, whose credits include Lawrence of Arabia, "a great composer" who produced "majestic and full-bodied works".

Jarre also won Academy Awards for Dr Zhivago and A Passage To India.

His last public appearance was in February at the Berlin Film Festival, where he won a lifetime award.

'Unforgettable'

Mr Sarkozy added: "By working with some of the greatest filmmakers in the world, he showed that music can be just as important as pictures to make a beautiful and successful film."

French culture minister Christine Albanel called the composer a "creative, modern musician who showed a perfect mastery of sound".

"His music provided a counterpoint to the pictures and formed one with the film," she added.

Jarre rose to prominence relatively late in life, writing his first score for a French short film in 1952.

His breakthrough came in 1962 when provided the soundtrack for the epic Lawrence of Arabia, for which he was awarded an Oscar.

He went on to compose music for more than 150 films.

A further six Academy Award nominations came Jarre's way for his scores on other high profile films, including hits like Ghost, Gorillas In The Mist and Witness.

The musician also earned two Bafta Awards, four Golden Globes and a Grammy in a career rich with accolades.

His scores enhanced the work of some of the film industry's greatest directors - among his collaborators were David Lean, Alfred Hitchcock, John Huston and Luchino Visconti.

He also wrote symphonic music for theatre, ballet and television, including the 1970s mini-series Jesus of Nazareth.

Jarre, who moved to the US in the 1960s, was married four times and is the father of Jean-Michel Jarre, a pioneer of electronic music.

His other son, Kevin, is a screenwriter based in the US.

At the Berlin Film Festival earlier this year, event director Dieter Kosslick paid tribute to Jarre saying: "Film composers often are in the shadows of great directors and acting stars.

"It's different with Maurice Jarre - the music of Doctor Zhivago, like much of his work, is world-famous and remains unforgettable in cinema history."
Old 03-31-09, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Film composer Maurice Jarre dies at age 84

Wow. I actually just saturated myself with Lawrence of Arabia over the past few days. I've been doing that a lot lately... watching movies over and over and playing them in the background when I'm working and stuff. So, over the past week, I've pretty-much learned the score (and dialogue and general rhythm) by-heart.

They guy lived a long life and his work is in great movies. It doesn't really bother me when when a 'great' dies, because I can always visit their art, you know?
Old 03-31-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I had absolutely no idea he and Kevin Jarre were related. That gives a biological relationship between three of my top ten favorite movies: Lawrence of Arabia, Glory and Tombstone.
Old 03-31-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RIP Maurice Jarre
Old 03-31-09, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow...i've yet to see Lawrence of Arabia....barely remember the score for Dead Poets Society...damn, guess I should get that new edition of LoA.

off-topic: Does anybody think that the original trailer to Lawrence of Arabia kinda sucks...I find it so boring...
Old 03-31-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Just saw this reading the morning paper. Loved his work on Lawrence of Arabia.

Maurice
Old 03-31-09, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the greatest of all film composers.

His unforgettable scores live on to entertain us for years to come.

R.I.P.