DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Hardover Graphic Novels that go out of print? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/552227-hardover-graphic-novels-go-out-print.html)

JeffTheAlpaca 03-25-09 07:37 AM

Hardover Graphic Novels that go out of print?

Do they have any collectable value for example the All Star Vol 1 Superman Hardcover is out of print and hard to find and the same with the Death of Captain America Vol 1.

The paperback editions are readily available.

slop101 03-25-09 10:09 AM

Re: Hardover Graphic Novels that go out of print?

It depends - sometimes they do, sometimes they don't - just depends on supply/demand.

For example, the Absolute hardcover editions of Authority (first volume) is going for a mint, while the second volume can be found for around cover price since many more of those were printed.

Mostly due to scarcity, DC's Absolute editions and Marvel's Omnibuses tend to go for higher prices after they're out of print, since due to their high cover price, not too many get printed. Less so for the smaller hardcovers, since they have a bigger print run.

JeffTheAlpaca 03-26-09 02:10 AM

thanks for the info

the captain america omnibus sounds enticing but buying 2 copies would be expensive.

slop101 03-26-09 10:25 AM

Why would you buy two copies?

JeffTheAlpaca 03-26-09 04:48 PM

one for collecting and the other to read

fujishig 03-27-09 03:24 PM

Argh... been slowly collecting the HCs as I read them, and Walking Dead Omnibus 3 is out (hopefully temporarily) at Amazon...

Meatwad's Ghost 03-28-09 12:55 PM

I've been working on selling all my old single issues and going with just the Hard cover books. The main thing I've learned is if I'm interested in reading it, to buy it now where I can find it on sale, then trying to hunt it down later. For example I was lucky to find the hard cover box set of Lost Girls at Borders and with 40% off coupon getting it for under $50 where it's going for over $100 on ebay/amazon. I missed out on some of the earlier Marvel Omnibuses and might never get them cheap, if I get them at all.

If you're wanting one just to read you might want to check out TFAW they have a nick and dent area where it's 50% off. The ones I've gotten have been in some cases better than you can get at a book store.

ivelostr2 03-28-09 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Meatwad's Ghost (Post 9354863)
If you're wanting one just to read you might want to check out TFAW they have a nick and dent area where it's 50% off. The ones I've gotten have been in some cases better than you can get at a book store.

I have picked up the spiderman, silver surfer, iron man and daredevil Omni's from them in nick and dent, the condition varies, the iron man one still had the plastic and was in great shape, the daredevil one had some nicked corners and had obviously been read, but Im gonna read it anyway, so I didnt care.