Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Let The Right One In - Incorrect Subtitles

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

There's a thread on this in the DVD section but not here so I think it's worth duplicating.

First check here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/55...le-issues.html

In a nutshell - DO NOT BUY the current disc if you are interested in having the correct theatrical subtitles.

If you use the dub tracks, then go nuts.

What a mess. I wonder if this is why the film didn't have a bigger impact on me - it did seem kind of "off".

Looks like it's time to unload my current disc since there won't be any exchanges apparently. Totally obvious this was an authoring mistake and not a "fans don't like the translation".

Now that I think of it, I'm inside the return window for Amazon. It's going back as defective. Let Magnet deal with the returns from retailers.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 03-24-09 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-24-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Let The Right One In - Incorrect Subtitles

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Totally obvious this was an authoring mistake and not a "fans don't like the translation".
If the studio rep is to be believed, it wasn't an "authoring mistake." The studio seems to have used an alternate translation that simply wasn't up to par.
Old 03-24-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Movie still a profound effect on me. I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying it.
Old 03-24-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I loved the movie and didn't find out about this until after I saw it. I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned here before, I think I found out at IMDB.
Old 03-24-09, 11:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Sounds like Magnet fessed up, but their response pisses me off.....from digitalbits:

In other news today, you might recall that we recently reviewed Magnet's Let the Right One In on Blu-ray Disc. Well, it's just come to our attention that the DVD and Blu-ray versions have English subtitles that differ substantially from those of the theatrical art house presentation, in that much of the subtle nuance has been lost and many original lines of dialogue are untranslated entirely. Unfortunately, having only seen the film once in theatres, I wasn't familiar enough with the translation to spot the differences. But Icons of Fright has posted some examples of just how different the subtitles are. We contacted Magnet directly on this issue this afternoon, and they were quick to respond as follows:

"We've been made aware that there are several fans that don't like the version of the subtitles on the DVD/BR. We had an alternate translation that we went with. Obviously a lot of fans thought we should have stuck with the original theatrical version. We are listening to the fans feedback, and going forward we will be manufacturing the discs with the subtitles from the theatrical version."

We asked Magnet some follow-up questions, specifically how people will be able to identify the new discs, when they'll be available in stores and if there will be an exchange program for those who have the existing version. Here's what they said:

"There are no exchanges. We are going to make an alternate version available however. For those that wish to purchase a version with the theatrical subtitles, it will be called out in the tech specs box at the back/bottom of the package where it will list SUBTITLES: ENGLISH (Theatrical), SPANISH."

The no exchange thing is going to upset many that have already purchased the disc, and understandably so. We're at least encouraged to see that the title is being corrected. We'll let you know when the discs are available, and rest assured we're letting Magnet know that an exchange program might be a wise idea...
Old 03-24-09, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Movie still a profound effect on me. I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying it.
The point is don't buy it right now as a corrected version will apparently be released.
Old 03-24-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Bought it on release. Thanks Magnolia for not even having an Exchange Program!!

For the most part the subtitles for a good portion of the movie are alright. Though "Alternate Version" is putting it pretty lightly there Magnolia.

One example I mentioned over in the Talk thread was the seen where
Spoiler:
Hakan is attempting to drain another person in the locker room of the local pool
He speaks one word "Eli" which then the subtitles translate as "I'm Trapped"

"Alternate Version"? More like laziness. Stop dumbing down films and stop catering to those who "don't like to read Subtitles".
Old 03-24-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Magnet! I don't actually care that much, but why would you "go with" an alternate set of subtitles?
Old 03-25-09, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I wrote a email to Magnolia/Magnet. I suggest everyone that already owns the movie does so. [email protected]

Originally Posted by Me
To whom it may concern:
I am writing this right now, trying my hardest to find the words to compose my thoughts politely and rationally.

I received my Blu-Ray copy of ‘Let the Right One In’ today in the mail during my lunch break. I was elated, seeing as this was my most anticipated film of the year. After that, I found out about the toned down, stupefied subtitles that were used for this disk.

I am quite pleased that you guys have decided to fix the issue.

I am, however, not at all happy that you expect me to purchase the disk again to get the correct subtitles.

I have run into issues with disks like this before. Miss-framing on Back to the future 2&3 and Pirates of the Caribbean, wrong disks entirely in the Superman Box set, repeating footage on Starship Troopers. In all instances, the studios saw it as the least that they could do to make it up to their customers to fix their mistakes, and I gladly took place in the replacement programs.

I know that you guys currently have the stance that there is actually not an error. However, before you say that the existing subtitles are correct; there are entire sentences and several smaller nuances that are missing entirely from the existing track. In some points, it barely makes sense.

"We had an alternate translation that we went with."
I really don't understand the choice to use different subtitles on home video than the theater. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" The old adage pops into mind, and I feel it fits here. At the least, can you please explain to me why you did that; used a different track that stripped out a lot of subtleties from the movie, but felt a need to still stick to the theatrical subtitle script while recording the dub track?

To tell you the truth, I was almost ready to grit my teeth and bear this issue before it was addressed at all. But now you have said, "There are no exchanges. We are going to make an alternate version available however,” in response to people that have already given you money for the movie, and gotten something they didn't expect. Because of this, I will most likely trade this disk somewhere for store credit, and not re-buy the movie. Or anything else you release, for that matter.

I would appreciate a response of some type. I am assuming it will be a form letter. I’m just dumbfounded by this entire situation. Like I said, I would at the least like an explanation. But is having it corrected really too much to ask?

Thank you for your time, and I appreciate that you actually read my letter.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 03-25-09 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-25-09, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Those are some pretty drastic changes. I'm glad I haven't found the movie to purchase yet on blu ray. I'll wait.
Old 03-25-09, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
The point is don't buy it right now as a corrected version will apparently be released.
I understand that thought, but I just have a "buy it now or never buy it" mentality. Meaning if I held off, my interest in the movie would've declined and I never would've gotten it.

But I'm not a good one to ask, for the record I have:

Back to the Future Part II DVD -- misframed scene
Pirates of the Caribbean Blu-ray -- misframed scene

I'm not one to complain.
Old 03-25-09, 02:38 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have those discs with the misframed scenes as well, but they're short and not nearly as noticeable as the problems with this disc. I've been holding off on watching mine because there's someone I wanted to show it to who hasn't seen it. Now I may hold off on showing it to her until I can get a copy with the correct subtitles.
Old 03-25-09, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just cancelled my copy from Amazon. Fortunately it was delayed.
Old 03-25-09, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Swedish BD (which is region-free) apparently has the theatrical subs. Unfortunately it also has no lossless audio.
Old 03-25-09, 09:06 AM

Well, we know that Magnolia is repressing the disc with correct subtitles. Now we just have to convince them that its worthwhile offering the exchange program. This is on all the online DVD forums I frequent, and if we all email them, we can change their mind.

Write to them at

[email protected]
Old 03-25-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I'm confused why this would even happen in the first place?? You have english subtitles already for the theatrical release?
Old 03-25-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course I didn't read this thread until after I opened my blu-ray last night.

Seems like the only recourse is to send a polite email requesting an exchange.
Old 03-25-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Average
The Swedish BD (which is region-free) apparently has the theatrical subs. Unfortunately it also has no lossless audio.
I've never bought any region-free BD imports.
Where might one find that online?

Last edited by Pointyskull; 03-25-09 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-25-09, 10:27 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

^ Darn, you edited your post. I was about to post the obligatory, "Sweden".
Old 03-25-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
^ Darn, you edited your post. I was about to post the obligatory, "Sweden".
Hence the edit, preventing the obligatory "Sweden"..
Old 03-25-09, 10:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Hence the edit, preventing the obligatory "Sweden"..
Not quite.

I'm curious too. I'll admit to being completely clueless about the international blu-ray situation. Some are region coded and some aren't, right? Do most have english audio options? How's pricing? No PAL problems, right? I should probably do some checking in the international forum.....
Old 03-25-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.subdvd.com/productView.do?prod_id=671274

It's not gonna be cheap. Plus, it looks like it's out of stock.
Old 03-25-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the site I've seen posted around for the Swedish BD (though it's all in Swedish):

http://www.discshop.se/shop/ds_produ...&utm_campaign=

Looks like $30 USD+ shipping. You also get the PAL DVD with this as well, but there is no lossless track, deleted scenes or featurette that is on the US disc. There is a Swedish commentary track with the director that has no English subtitles though.
Old 03-25-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wrote Magnolia an email expressing my displeasure with the lack of an exchange program. Simply unacceptable, plain and simple. Otherwise, I might try to use the extended return policy window @ BB thanks to my RZ Silver member status and get the re-pressed BD.
Old 03-25-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Email sent. I encourage everybody that cares to do the same. It only takes a couple of minutes and the more people that respond, the better the chances Magnolia will reconsider and offer an exchange.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.