Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Dark Knight" Blu-Ray video lines in buildings issues

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought my first Blu-Play and Smallville S7 ($33 at BestBuy, great deal could not pass up. S7 is the only season I do not have at this time (but all the others are only on DVDS) and The Dark Knight (Blockbuster used $16).

Love the video quality of TDK, but I notice all kinds of Shimmering lines on buildings, does anyone else see this?

LOVE the chase sceen that was filmed in IMax, best DARK Blu-Ray video I have ever watched!!!!

Sorry if another thread was on this, I did a search but could not find one.
Old 03-19-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "The Dark Knight" Blu-Ray video lines in buildings issues

Yes, they're called Moire patterns. Lots of other people experience the same thing. I'm pretty sure it was explained somewhere in the official thread but I'm too lazy to search through it.
Old 03-20-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just bought Transformers in Blu-Ray and it looks beautiful on my HDTV.

The one thing I noticed is that it had a very very small problem with just one or two lines in buildings (or whatever and if I were not looking for them I may not have seen the small problem), the problem was nothing like the problem in TDK. TDK had lots of very noticable moire lines in buildings, this disappointed my a little, but I still love the rest of the video/movie.
Old 03-20-09, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Unfortunately, this was a widely reported issue with an otherwise fabulous looking disc.
Old 03-20-09, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

What's really weird is if you look at TDK Prologue featured on the BD of Batman Begins, the problem is barely noticeable. On the other hand, the same footage looks far worse on the BD of The Dark Knight.

It's far from fabulous looking, Qui Gon Jim. I'd call it serviceable. There were far better looking BD's before it and there've been far better looking BD's after it.
Old 03-20-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've watched it a few times on my HTPC and haven't noticed anything myself.
Old 03-20-09, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
What's really weird is if you look at TDK Prologue featured on the BD of Batman Begins, the problem is barely noticeable. On the other hand, the same footage looks far worse on the BD of The Dark Knight.

It's far from fabulous looking, Qui Gon Jim. I'd call it serviceable. There were far better looking BD's before it and there've been far better looking BD's after it.
Disagree. There are MINOR flaws in the picture. This disc looks amazing.
Old 03-20-09, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Dark Knight was one reason for pushing me to BD. The DVD was so bad in quality and the BD version is 100x better. I noticed a few of the buildings having moire but it doesnt matter to me, the rest of the film is so much more beautiful on BD. I already sold over 100 dvd's this past week and purcahsed like 30 BD's and much more on the way. BD is the wave of the future and glad i finally got caught up in it.
Old 03-20-09, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Moopher
Agree. There are MAJOR flaws in the picture. This disc looks good but not amazing.
fixed.

Some people thought the PQ was amazing, while others didn't. Let's not go through this again.
Old 03-21-09, 12:51 AM

I attribute the patterns to my television, more than the disc, because I see them on several discs, depending on my television's settings.

I have a set that doesn't do 1080p, so when it's set to 1080i, I see those patterns on a variety of discs, most noticeably Spider-Man 3 and The Simpsons Movie, along with this disc's opening scene.

If I set the BD's resolution to output the TV's native 720p, I don't see them unless I amp up the sharpness, which I do only if a particular disc looks a bit too soft (The Perfect Storm) so it's usually at the appropriate setting.
Old 03-21-09, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
fixed.

Some people thought the PQ was amazing, while others didn't. Let's not go through this again.
If you don't want to go through that issue once more, then don't "fix" the quote to suit your perspective.

He disagreed, he didn't "fix" the quote. Quite a difference.
Old 03-21-09, 12:57 AM

^ I know but I just had to get the last jab in.

EDIT: I meant jab at TDK's PQ, not at Moopher.
Old 03-21-09, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I attribute the patterns to my television, more than the disc, because I see them on several discs, depending on my television's settings.

I have a set that doesn't do 1080p, so when it's set to 1080i, I see those patterns on a variety of discs, most noticeably Spider-Man 3 and The Simpsons Movie, along with this disc's opening scene.

If I set the BD's resolution to output the TV's native 720p, I don't see them unless I amp up the sharpness, which I do only if a particular disc looks a bit too soft (The Perfect Storm) so it's usually at the appropriate setting.
No, this ones problem is on the disc for sure. I did use to get the lines easily with various dvds when I needed to uses composite cables from time to time.

As for the PQ of the disc, some of the non-Imax scenes are really dark, while EE is present at various points.
Old 03-21-09, 08:28 PM

For me, when I look at the quality of the DVD, and look at the quality of the BD, I'm more than completely forgiving toward the latter.
Old 03-21-09, 08:53 PM

I just watched it again on Blu-ray, and it looked great to me. Must be something wrong with your set-up or your televison.
Old 03-21-09, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jackson walker
Must be something wrong with your set-up or your televison.
No, there isn't. Read the rest of the thread. This was a widely reported complaint. I think the consensus in the previous thread was that it was caused by edge enhancement applied to the IMAX footage.

Either you just didn't see it, or there's something wrong with your setup.
Old 03-22-09, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
No, there isn't. Read the rest of the thread. This was a widely reported complaint. I think the consensus in the previous thread was that it was caused by edge enhancement applied to the IMAX footage.

Either you just didn't see it, or there's something wrong with your setup.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just re-read the thread, re-watched the scenes and everything looks great to me. My Pioneer Elite 950-HD and PS3 have handled hundreds of Blu-rays without problem, and this seems to be one of them.
Old 03-22-09, 01:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw several problems with the DK disc, as have many others. I believe it to be an issue with the way WB had the film mastered and compressed.
Old 03-22-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I saw several problems with the DK disc, as have many others. I believe it to be an issue with the way WB had the film mastered and compressed.
I agree.

Watched the different trailers for the Dark Knight. One of them had the zooming in of the buildings in the beginning of the movie. The vents in the right middle of the black building that gets in window shot out have TONS of shimmering in the movie, but in the trailer there were NO shimmering in the vents.
Old 03-22-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
No, this ones problem is on the disc for sure. I did use to get the lines easily with various dvds when I needed to uses composite cables from time to time.

As for the PQ of the disc, some of the non-Imax scenes are really dark, while EE is present at various points.
And some pretty ugly EE, to boot. TDK is a really mixed bag for PQ; the IMAX scenes should look better than they do, and the 35mm scenes look generally better than the theater, but it's an "artificial better" due to EE and sharpening I'd imagine. Mediocre disc, one of the few I actually hope gets double-dipped on later for a better image.
Old 03-22-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by naitram
And some pretty ugly EE, to boot. TDK is a really mixed bag for PQ; the IMAX scenes should look better than they do, and the 35mm scenes look generally better than the theater, but it's an "artificial better" due to EE and sharpening I'd imagine. Mediocre disc, one of the few I actually hope gets double-dipped on later for a better image.
I hate to admit it but this release actually makes me look forward to a double dip. It needs it if only so they´ll do a better job mastering and compressing the image.

They just better not mess with the audio. That was phenomenal!