Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about Onkyo 484

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about Onkyo 484

Old 04-22-00, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just in a local Circuit City an saw that they had a new Onkyo reciever on display. The Onkyo 484 has a retail of $279. It has Digital and DTS built in as well as 5-channel stereo. It seems to be the same as the 575, but has no RE-EQ option and is only 55 watts per channell(no learning remote either). Does the RE-EQ make that much difference? How about the wattage difference? My setup is Infiity OVT1's in front, CC3 center, and QPS1 rears. Will th low wattage per channel make this reciever that much weaker, or is this a good deal?

------------------

"Why do you got that tape on your nose?"
"Exactly!"
Old 04-22-00, 11:13 PM
BEC

Re-Eq tones the brightness down on movie soundtracks. Infinity's can be a little on the harsh side, so it may not be bad idea, especially if you tend to roll off the treble on music. (Can't remember if it was the reference or the overature series that had the harsh ribbon tweeter...)

ANYWAY, if you think your speakers sound ok, not shrilly or sharp, then you won't miss the Re-Eq much.

Onkyo's 55w is conservative compared to others. For a small room, you're ok- your speakers had pretty good sensitivity at 93 (92?)dB, so it doesn't take too power to drive them. You'd still run the receiver on the high side. A living room or den will probably need more power.

474 + DVD player w/decoders would work pretty well. At some internet places you could get a 575 for less than $400.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited April 22, 2000).]
Old 04-24-00, 05:40 AM

At $279 the 484 is a steal. Although it doesn't pack the same amount of punch as the 575, it does share the same Wide Range Amplifier Technology (WRAT). That means it is a capable of a flat response of up to 100kHz (needed for DVD-Audio and future formats) and that it can drive low-impedance speakers with excellent high-current power. Well, that's a mouthful, but it basically boils down to the 484 is conservatively rated, but has plenty of power to drive the Infinity speakers you mentioned. Plus, with dual-banana-plug speaker terminals for all channels, you'll be able to use thicker speaker wire. Re-EQ is nice, but I hardly even bother with it.