Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me pick a DVD player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help me pick a DVD player

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-00, 12:13 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a panasonic A110 which I bought from best buy. I have had to have more than 3 repairs on it so I'm trading it in as part of their no lemon exchange. However they don't have that model anymore (duh) and they don't carry any panasonics at the store other than the 5 disc carousel. I would like to know like to know which model I should look at instead. I basically get a 300.00 crediton any machine I want.

Toshiba SD-2200 $329.99
Toshiba SD-4109 $449.96
Sony DVP5530D $284.96
Sony DVP550D $429.96
Sony DVPC650D $549.96

They had a progressive Toshiba DVD player there but it was $799.99 which was a bit out of my league right now. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-22-00, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd recommend the Toshiba SD-2109 even though you don't have it listed. This DVD player is not the newest one from Toshiba but it seems to be the best one, some of the new players have some bugs in them, and the SD-2109 will be cheaper and of better quality too, I have one of these and it rules.
Old 04-22-00, 02:03 PM
Cool New Member

The Toshiba 2109 is definitely out. I think the 3109 is out too because I think they don't have a true fast forward on them from what I can see. I want a fast forward button on them for sure.

Thanks
Old 04-22-00, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a sony and love it. Only got the 330 since I have decoders in my HT receiver.

NOTE: Sony's come with 2 free (near free about 5 bucks total cost) DVDs from Columbia House usually (in the box)
Old 04-23-00, 02:25 PM
Cool New Member

Best Buy just put the Toshiba 2200 on sale for 299.99 this week. Has anyone tried this one? I'm thinking about buying it tomorrow and then if I like it using that one for my trade in. It has a dual disc and wouldn't cost me as much as the Sony 650 ($0 vs $249.99).

Thanks and Happy Easter
Old 04-24-00, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've owned two Toshiba SD-3109's for about six months now and am very pleased with them both, especially since I picked them up for a very good price ($240 each). The only weakness I found with this model is the non-lighted remote control. It's so lame that you need to memorize where each command is if you expect to use it without turning on the room lights.

Other than that, it's got some very good features (multi-zoom, multi-angle camera, fast forward & rewind, dual tray drawer, etc.) and a built-in Dolby Digital (AC-3) decoder. I haven't tried the other models on your list so I don't know how good they are, but I can say that the Toshiba SD-3109 has been very good for me... so far.

To fast-forward or rewind requires pressing the skip button on the remote and holding down until the fast speed mode is activated, then pressing again to increase the speeds from 2X to 8X or 30X.