Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

need help in choosing a hi def tv

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-15-09, 03:23 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi every one im thinking of buying an hdtv. Im not into gaming im just into watching tv, and watching movies. i want a tv that has 1080i 1080p that way i could replace my digital cable box from comcast to a hi def box so i could get the hd channels. and im going to be buying a bluray player. im thinking of putting it in my bed room. its a small bed room not to huge. im going to be sitting 8 feet away. so what can ya tell me what size should i get. i was thinking of buying this one is from vizio model-v073lf it cost 729.99

in the bottom are the tv specs i could really use all the help and opinions. thank you

Size: 37-in*
*Viewable: 37.02-in
Tuner: Integrated NTSC/ATSC/QAM HDTV Tuner

Supported TV Formats
1080p

Native Panel Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Supported PC Resolutions
640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1920x1080

Specification
Panel Type: 37" Diagonal*, 16:9 Wide Screen, Color TFT Active Matrix LCD
Panel Specifications: Anti-Static and hard coated surface
Pixel/Dot Pitch: 0.42675mm (H) x 0.42675mm (V)
Display Compatibility: HDTV (1080p)
Signal Compatibility: Supports 480i (SDTV), 480P (EDTV), 720P (HDTV), 1080i (HDTV), 1080p Video Signals
Response Time: 6.5ms
Colors: 16.7 million
Brightness: 500 cd/m2 (typical)
Contrast Ratio: 1300:1 (Typical), 6500:1 (w/DCR)
Viewable Angle: 178° (horizontal and vertical)

Inputs
RF (F Connector for internal tuner): 1
HDMI with HDCP: 3
Analog Stereo Audio for HDMI Inputs: 1
Component YPbPr plus Stereo Audio: 2
Composite Video: 2
S-Video plus Stereo Audio: 1
Computer RGB plus Stereo Audio: 1
Service Port: 1

Outputs
Analog Audio out (RCA): 1
5.1 SPDIF Digital Optical Audio: 1
Headphone (Stereo Mini-Jack): 1

Additional Information
Picture-in-Picture (PIP)
Picture-outside-Picture (POP)
V-Chip
3D Comb Filter
3:2 or 2:2 Reverse Pull-down
ATSC with 8VSB & QAM demodulation
ATSC with MPEG-2 decoding
NTSC Video decoding via RF: Yes, thru Antenna, Cable, or Satellite
NTSC Video decoding via Video: Yes, thru CVBS, S-Video, or Component
Progressive Scan Video: Yes, thru Component YPbPr, VGA or HDMI
HDTV: Yes, thru HDMI or Component YPbPr
Computer: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1920x1080 via VGA and HDMI
Sound enhancement: SRS TruSurround XT™
Color Temperature: 6500K (standard), 5400K and 9300K
Color Fine Tuning: Independent Red, Green and Blue
Audio: Built-in 2 x 12W Speakers
Lamp (LCD) / Panel (PDP) Life: 50000 hours
Power: IEC Connector for direct power line connection
Voltage Range120Vac at 50/60 Hz
Power Consumption: 210W average
Removable Base: Yes
Old 03-15-09, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts
Re: need help in choosing a hi def tv

42", 46" or 50" Panasonic Plasma.

Thank you...and have a nice day.

Ok...I guess I don't need to be a smart ass....you say what you won't do, but you don't say what you will be doing (besides the cable box thing). IMO there is no better picture at any price then the Panny plasmas (other then the Pioneer plasmas). But if you are a move watcher, I'd get bigger then 37". Even at 8' you could go bigger with HD with ease (look at my sig. I go 10' and 12' for a 94' screen).

If you do stick with 37" I'd find a deal on a 720p. Your just not going to see the benefit of 1080p (regardless of source) on that small of a set (unless you plan to use as a computer monitor) So save a few $$ and find the great deals on 720p.

But I tell ya...that 46" Panny plasma may be a sweet set to get you started. However, I have seen the 50" in the $900 range which is just amazing and awesome price on what is one of the best pictures available.
Old 03-15-09, 12:07 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nah you not really being a smart ass and thank you for your opinion and input i really apreciate it man i do. i dont know alot about hdtv all i know they are 720p, 1080i, 180p. i watch alot of tv, alot of sports im in to baseball, basketball and hockey, i want the best picture. im a huge movie buff i really want to make the leap to blue ray. but i want to make sure that im getting the right tv with the right input. if i get a bluray i want to make sure that its on 1080p if im going to upgrade to an hd cable box i want to make sure i get the image on 1080i i dont know alot as you can see about hi def. i appreciate all the help i was looking at this 37 inch from vizio i said it would look perfect in my room. like i said my room is not huge. im going to be sitting across from the room and looking straight at the tv. i just want to make sure that im getting a nice tv but im definitley going to look in to that panny plasma that you mention once again thank you very much for your input. take care

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
42", 46" or 50" Panasonic Plasma.

Thank you...and have a nice day.

Ok...I guess I don't need to be a smart ass....you say what you won't do, but you don't say what you will be doing (besides the cable box thing). IMO there is no better picture at any price then the Panny plasmas (other then the Pioneer plasmas). But if you are a move watcher, I'd get bigger then 37". Even at 8' you could go bigger with HD with ease (look at my sig. I go 10' and 12' for a 94' screen).

If you do stick with 37" I'd find a deal on a 720p. Your just not going to see the benefit of 1080p (regardless of source) on that small of a set (unless you plan to use as a computer monitor) So save a few $$ and find the great deals on 720p.

But I tell ya...that 46" Panny plasma may be a sweet set to get you started. However, I have seen the 50" in the $900 range which is just amazing and awesome price on what is one of the best pictures available.
Old 03-15-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts

If you are concerned with numbers then just get the cheapest (Visio, Westinghouse, Polaroid, Olevia) 1080p TV you can find.

The problem of course is numbers do not = picture quality.

A Panasonic 720p 42", or 50" plasma will BLOW away the image quality of 99% of the 1080p LCD's EVEN WHEN USED WITH HD SOURCES, such as HD TV, HD DVD and BD DVD. And I currently have a 1080p Samsung LCD in my living room that is HD Dish and HD DVD. In my media room, I have a 720p projector with HD Dish, BD and HD DVD.

1st, resolution is only about the 4th most important factor in overall picture quality. Black levels, color, contrast, etc all have a more significant impact then resolution.

2nd, your eye's simply cannot see all the resolution of 1080p in smaller sets (I say less then 55" but some say less then 50") unless you sit way, way to close. It doesn't matter the source. Unless you sit on top of the set or get new eye's, your throwing your money away getting a 1080p at 37". Now if it is the same money, then fine it won't hurt. But your not going to see the benefits of it.

But I'm really tired of making this arguement. So go get the 46" Panny plasma. I think it is only 1080p. So there you go. About $1,300 so also a fair deal. Of course the problem I have with that is you could get the 50" 720p Panny plasma for LESS then this. And when it comes to having a "movie experience" nothing beats size (assuming a reasonable picture). But of course you could find the 42" 720p Panny plasma for even less. Maybe in the same ball park as your visio. And would be significally better picture.

All the sets you are considering are 1080p or 720p. So that is what you will see. Regardless of what you are connecting to it. If your source is 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p the display is going to show it in it's naitive resolution (720p or 1080p)

Originally Posted by moviefan19125
nah you not really being a smart ass and thank you for your opinion and input i really apreciate it man i do. i dont know alot about hdtv all i know they are 720p, 1080i, 180p. i watch alot of tv, alot of sports im in to baseball, basketball and hockey, i want the best picture. im a huge movie buff i really want to make the leap to blue ray. but i want to make sure that im getting the right tv with the right input. if i get a bluray i want to make sure that its on 1080p if im going to upgrade to an hd cable box i want to make sure i get the image on 1080i i dont know alot as you can see about hi def. i appreciate all the help i was looking at this 37 inch from vizio i said it would look perfect in my room. like i said my room is not huge. im going to be sitting across from the room and looking straight at the tv. i just want to make sure that im getting a nice tv but im definitley going to look in to that panny plasma that you mention once again thank you very much for your input. take care

Last edited by Sdallnct; 03-15-09 at 03:46 PM.