Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Circuit City R.I.P. Final Words

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-09, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was in one of the original stores in my area today-almost stripped bare and in it's last weekend of existence and it was kind of a melancholy mood. Sure I was looking for bargains but did feel bad for all the employees losing their jobs-especially with the economy. I'll miss the weekly ads and competition with Best Buy. I spoke with some of the employees and wished them well....end of a retailing era. I'm sure even some of us on this Forum have worked at Circuit City. Wishing you good luck also if you were currently employed with them. Wanted to post this if anyone else had any final words.
Old 03-07-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Circuit City R.I.P. Final Words

Hated some things about them, like having to check out at customer service, but still sad that they won't be around anymore. It is kinda weird to think about a world with no Circuit City, but maybe that will open the door for some new store to burst onto the scene (once the economy recovers) and give Best Buy a new adversary.

R.I.P. Circuit City
Old 03-07-09, 11:13 PM

Yeah, it will be kind of weird without Circuit City around anymore. As a matter of fact, I just watched "Eagle Eye" for the first time tonight and it was quite amusing that the characters end up going into a Circuit City store.

I've definitely wasted many hours of my life in the store, that's for sure. Actually, Circuit City was the first store that I developed a line of credit with and purchased my first very own 27" tube television. And I remember watching DIVX come and go in the Circuit City stores when DVD came out on the market. I remember the stores still selling appliances and then making the switch to only become an electronics store. So many memories.

CC
Old 03-07-09, 11:20 PM

I worked for Circuit from 1990 to 1997 and during that time I learned alot about retail. I was in one of the stores a few days ago and talked to a former co-worker. I was actually in disbelief that the store was actually closing forever. I work at Best Buy now and I am fortunate that I made the move many years ago. For me it is still bittersweet.
Old 03-07-09, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will not miss them that much then again the writing was on the wall at are store a long time ago.
Old 03-08-09, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to CC more in the last 2 weeks than in the last 2 years. I rarely went there. BB prices win 90% of the time for the items I buy. Still, competition is always a good thing. So I wish CC was still around... But I will probably miss KB Toys more than CC... More childhood memories from KB as well...
Old 03-08-09, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought my first DVD Player from them back in '99. That'll probably be my only good memory of CC.
Old 03-08-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They deserve to close after sticking with vertical organization of media for decades even though it makes everything hard to find. That and they tried to kill DVD media with DIVX and self-destructing discs in general at the beginning of the switch to optical media.

As far as I'm concerned they died a couple years back when they fired all their employees who worked for commission and then proceeded to get out of the most profitable part of their business: appliances.
Old 03-08-09, 01:44 AM

I'm sad that I will no longer be shopping there and most of all that quite a few people are out of jobs. I do have a few complaints about some of their practices, though not as many as others.

1. One time I was there looking for a DVD which I myself was unable to find. I asked a person working there if they had it and they open up some binder, looked in it, and said no. During this same trip and right after this woman looked at the binder the person I was with looked and found it. I can understand looking at a binder if it has a listing of things that have arrived during the week. But since when does a piece of paper update store inventory? How would a printed piece of paper tell you if the store has it or not unless you printed out a page that said "This DVD is not in stock"? But let's ignore the binder and look at how lazy this employee was and how someone who usually only went there because I did was able to find it. After this incident I became hesitant of asking workers at any store for help.

2. DVDs were arranged horribly. Sometimes the order or lack of order was confusing.

3. This might depend on the store but from what I remember about the one near me there were a total of four registers if you don't count customer service.

4. This generally only seemed to happen with this one lady that worked at the store near me, but if I was to price match something they would call the other store to see if they had it in stock. This was also before that policy came into play where they'd knock 10% more off of the price. I'm sure there's some dumb reason for this which probably involves money, but that doesn't change the fact that it made me angry.

5. The whole incident with Speedy. I only heard about this a few months ago and I wasn't even aware of this place's existence when it happened, but what they pulled is still horrible.

6. This one I probably should have expected but when they announced their stores were closing I went to pick up one of the $4.99 DVDs. I thought I'd also be getting the 20% off price but instead 20% bringing the cost down to less than $4.99 it brought it down to like $12. They were no longer honoring their sales ad due to liquidation. I maybe should have thought about that but no matter what it again didn't change the fact that it made me angry. On the bright side though I ended up getting that $4.99 DVD for $3.99 at Best Buy.

Despite some complaints I still think it sucks that they're going out of business. Consumers had more choices with Circuit City being open, but now that they're gone fewer options means fewer bargains. I'm hoping something will come along to give competition to Best Buy and no I don't count Target or Walmart. Goodbye Circuit City!
Old 03-08-09, 01:55 AM

my feelings can be summed up quite clearly in 2 words...

good riddance!!
Old 03-08-09, 01:56 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Yes, CC sucked, but now Best Buy can practically do whatever the want. Competition is always good, even if my local Circuit City smelled like B.O.

PS: Anyone remember Lechmere?
Old 03-08-09, 03:49 AM

i have mixed feelings about the store closing. Sure i feel bad about all the people losing their jobs but at the same time if they had better customer service the store might still be opened. IMO they lost customers due to the horrible customer service

they were the ones to have good dvds for 1.99, 2.99, 3.99

Customer Service was horrible ... try and ask employees (including managers) to help you find a movie and the best they do is to look at on the store website (which if you ever looked for a movie on the website IT NEVER SAID "AVAILABLE FOR STORE PICK UP") instead of looking at the store database. Ask them to help u with a TV, Surround Sound System,Blu-ray player, Computer/labtop, and they become you best friends ... Now you might say "well thats everywhere" ... in my experiences at Best Buy (Woodland hills, Sherman Oaks, & Burbank) they have always been helpful with ANYTHING including the cheapest dvd.

And the last problem i ever had with them was with the Product Protection plan.
I bought an Xbox 360 back in 2006 ... in Oct of 2008 i got the RROD. Now when i bought the 360 that problem wasnt a huge deal at that point but the employee did tell me "if you buy this plan we can either exchange it for a new on or give you a GC for the amount that you paid for" so i said sounds good ill take it ... when i sent my 360 back i was emailed about 4 weeks later telling me that a replacement was on its way ... which surprised me ... when i got the replacement in Nov 2008 it said "Refurbished Replacement" which pissed me off but then i said well atleast i can play my games again... 2 weeks later the RROD hit my Refurbished Replacement. So began a big back and forth delima i was told that buy Dec 14th id have a Replacement ... the 14th came and went and i was still without what i was intitled too. Email after Email, call after call, dec.... january... came and went lol nothing until i filed a complaint with the mainheadquarters... the next day i recieved an email telling me that a GC had been sent to me and i should recieve within a few days. As soon as i got the GC i bought a PS3 and bought a 360 at best buy. one week later CC starts liquidating stores....

after typing all that it reminded me how upset and frustrating it was so good riddance.
Old 03-08-09, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

fuck

lost my post by hitting the wrong key.

Goodbye CC,you did more harm then good in the last few years.
I will miss your open box specials,but thats about it.
Old 03-08-09, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I went through hell around 1994 when I bought a 31" TV from them. They badgered me into buying the extended warranty saying "Wouldn't you like to have the piece of mind that if it ever wasn't working EXACTLY the way you wanted it to, you could call us and have it fixed?" Being more naive at the time I took the bait. TV worked pretty good for a few months until it got fried in a power outage. They picked it up and had it in the shop for a couple months, then when they brought it back the picture had a problem that wasn't there before (moire pattern). When I complained about that they said it was normal but reluctantly tried to fix it, and each time they ended up making the picture worse than it was before. The last time they touched it the picture tube was magnetized, so colors were distorted in some spots. They then said "It's within manufacturer's specs, so we have to just leave it at that." I ended up selling the TV and buying a better one from a mom & pop dealer.

What REALLY blew my mind was one time when their so-called 'technician' came over, he brought a younger apprentice along, and his first comments on seeing my setup was "Rabbit ears??? Don't you have cable?" I politely informed him that I watched hardly any TV at all, most of my viewing was laserdiscs. I'd just moved out after living with an idiot roommate who insisted on having cable and I never found anything worth watching on it. Then when I tried to demonstrate the picture problem for them, I put on the laserdisc of "A Video Standard", regarded as the Holy Bible of home video (it was the forerunner of the more popular Video Essentials.) These clowns had never even HEARD of this disc before- they went "Uh, what's this- a laserdisc with test patterns n stuff?" The main guy actually wanted to adjust the TV by turning to a random broadcast channel and going by whatever they happened to be showing.

I NEVER bought anything from Circus City after that, except for loss-leader priced DVDs once those came about. I consider their going under good payback for my experience with them.
Old 03-08-09, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used to buy from them all the time when I lived on the east coast since I lived a block away from one of the stores. But for the past five years or so they started to suck really bad and never had anything in stock, so I stopped going.

But I don't go to Best Buy either... like many people here I buy online since it's cheaper anyway.
Old 03-08-09, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

won't miss them too much . cc and bb are pretty much the same store to me. now it's time for 6th ave to move up. seems like they have the lowest prices.
Old 03-08-09, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, but now that the end is here, all I can think about is the time when a CC sales person rudely walked away from me when I was ready to buy a $2400 Sony TV because I wouldn't buy the extended warranty.

(Shouldn't this be in the store forum?)

Last edited by Pizza; 03-08-09 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-08-09, 06:32 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Thanks for the Memories Circuit City! Some of my best Black Friday "Raids" were pulled off at the Daytona Beach Circuit City. in 2005 I got a 52-inch HDTV from them for $600.00 along with 25 DVD Movies. (I had a 30-Inch TV that had died a few months earlier, Mom and I were getting by with a 20 incher we normally used for the Guest Room. You should have seen the look on her face when I came in announcing "Mom, We're getting a new TV!) In 2006 I picked up another dozen movies and 10 TV Series Box Sets for less than $200.00 (This was the beginning of my TV Series DVD Collection. withing two months I dropped my Subscription to Cable TV because I no longer had any need for them!) In 2007 I "Relieved" them of 14 DVD Box Sets and another two dozen movies, and last year I picked up 16 Box Sets and another doxen movies for less than $200.00. Black Friday will never be the same without them!
Old 03-08-09, 06:45 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I've lived in Virginia pretty much my whole life, where they were founded, so have frequented Circuit City since they opened.

I've never really liked them much, always found the customer service mediocre and the checkout process insanely bad. But still, their prices were often good and I'm sure I spent at least $20,000 there over the last 25 years. I bought my first stereo there, back in the mid 1980s, and still own those working components.
Old 03-08-09, 06:54 AM

I always hated the people who worked at mine. Took me about a half hour every time I pricematched, because they would always be very slow and total diicks about following THEIR policy, but I did it just to stick it to them.
Old 03-08-09, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Won't miss the sucky customer service. Not that Best Buy glows in that department either.
Old 03-08-09, 07:30 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Originally Posted by docdoowop
Won't miss the sucky customer service. Not that Best Buy glows in that department either.
Is anyone noticing that a lot of Businesss that have the crappiest Customer Service (You know, Calling Customer Service and getting greeted with "Welcome.....To....(Name of Business) and if you try to punch "Operater" in order to avoid their long-winded messages you are either A: Disconnected or B: Put on hold for an agonozingly long time only to be answered by someone 10,000 miles away who can BARELY speak English!), are the ones that are going out of business? It's time for them to reap what they have sown!

During my 2005 Black Friday "Raid" at Circuit City I caught two employees giving a Customer the runaround when they were trying to purchase a Laptop that had been advertised as one of the "Doorbusters". They were telling them they needed a coupon to make those purchases, and I could see a Stack of 20 or so of the laptops behind the counter. Several Reps in the area IGNORED their calls for the Manager so (Using my LOUD Voice) I raised a ruckus that the Manager HEARD. It turned out the two Customer reps had HOARDED the Laptops, (Along with a few other "Big Ticket" Items) and were waiting for their friends to come over to make the purchases. The Manager fired those two on the spot, and placed the items they had hoarded back on the floor to be sold.
Old 03-08-09, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Most of the time when I went there the customer service reps seemed nice and went out of their way to accommodate your needs.
Old 03-08-09, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by IamLegend
Was in one of the original stores in my area today-almost stripped bare and in it's last weekend of existence and it was kind of a melancholy mood. Sure I was looking for bargains but did feel bad for all the employees losing their jobs-especially with the economy. I'll miss the weekly ads and competition with Best Buy. I spoke with some of the employees and wished them well....end of a retailing era. I'm sure even some of us on this Forum have worked at Circuit City. Wishing you good luck also if you were currently employed with them. Wanted to post this if anyone else had any final words.
I am sadden as well. CC had some great dvd sales over the years, and gone are the days of price matching fun with Best Buy. I can't believe some people are happy that a major competitor is gone. LEss competition means less bargains, folks.

Like many people, I wish we could all wake up and this economic nightmare will be over. I miss my life a year ago. Good job in a small town. Spend my Saturday driving to the big city, hit Sam's club, Best Buy, Circuit City, and come home happen with my dvd bounty. I lost that job, and really for the first time, I put the dvd back on the shelf yesterday even though it was on sale. I didn't need Stargate Alantis when I never have found time for my Stargate seasons.
Old 03-08-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a part time job there between 2001-2003 (when they actually had a good and varied DVD selection). I'm sure the 500 multiple choice question premployment test will be missed by all. Can't have too many psychotics selling A/V gear. Good bye Circuit City!

Last edited by visitor Q; 03-08-09 at 05:19 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.