Deep Discount
$??
$24
$28
misc store
$
$
$

These weekly threads are for price comparisons of all the big new releases, and the posting and discussion of that particular week's store exclusives and freebies.

These lists will likely be incomplete until Wednesday or so, since DVDs are released on Tuesday and one of us needs to visit all the stores to confirm things.

Links to the master list and to the previous and next week's thread are below.

Volunteers needed: I regularly go to Best Buy and Target; but don't visit the other stores every week. If you work at or regularly go to the Wal-Mart, FYE/TWEC chains, Costco, Borders, K-mart/Sears, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster, Toys-R-Us, or any other store that has DVD exclusives; we'd appreciate any updates you could give us. I am slowly "retiring" from my weekly chain crawls, and will need your help to keep these threads useful.

All Stores - Thread for all movie cash and free ticket deals
Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic - movie cash for Watchmen

Best Buy -
Wonder Woman - limited figure in 2 disc and BR versions
$7.50 Watchmen movie cash with three older repackagings; Matrix, Matrix Revolutions, Constantine; each on sale for $6.99

Target -
The Hills Season 4 Collector's Edition - exclusive packaging and bonus DVD with 100+ minutes of Hills content
Wonder Woman 2 disc - bonus 3rd DVD with 2 additional Justice League episodes, Maid of Honor 1&2

Wal Mart / Sam's Club -
Wonder Woman 1 disc- lenticular slipcover
Australia - bundled with collectible book for $20
Beverly Hills Chihuahua - bundled with Air Bud
Spongebob vs. The Big One - bundled with a WM exclusive Spongebob PC game for $14, also available in a lunchbox for $5 more

K-Mart/Sears -
Wonder Woman 1 disc- temporary tattoos

FYE/Sam Goody/other TWEC -
Wonder Woman - poster with either version

Barnes and Noble - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Borders -
Wonder Woman 2 disc - Making of Wonder Woman mini-book

Costco -
I searched and found nothing new

"Lesser" stores with no exclusives this week spoilered
Spoiler:
GameStop / MovieStop - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Blockbuster -

Hot Topic - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Toys-R-Us -

The Disney Store - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Meijers - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Ralph's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Hastings - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Acme / Albertson's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Giant Food / Giant Eagle - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Fred Meyer - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Canadian Exclusives -
Wonder Woman - exclusive embroidered patch at Futureshop

Last edited by Trevor; 03-16-09 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-02-09, 08:43 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: New release $ comparisons and store exclusives / freebies - 3/01/09 to 3/07/09

Tables done.
Old 03-02-09, 10:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: New release $ comparisons and store exclusives / freebies - 3/01/09 to 3/07/09

The Wonder Woman 2 disc DVD and Blu-ray has a limited edition Wonder Woman figure.
Old 03-02-09, 11:05 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

is it confirmed that "Watchmen" is $20 at Walmart?
Old 03-02-09, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
is it confirmed that "Watchmen" is $20 at Walmart?
I only put prices in that are on their website or in their flyer. $20 on the website.

But YMMV of course, Wal-marts across the street from each other can have different prices.
Old 03-02-09, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by dx23
The Wonder Woman 2 disc DVD and Blu-ray has a limited edition Wonder Woman figure.
Where? Every store?

edit to add: I see it in the BB ad.
Old 03-03-09, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all about Wonder Woman this week, folks.

FYE/Coconuts has a free poster of the single-disc cover art with purchase (of either version).

Wal-Mart has an exclusive lenticular slipcover with the single-disc version (whereas every other retailer offers no slipcover at all for this edition).

K-Mart, surprisingly enough, has free temporary tattoos inside the package of the single-disc version.

Lastly, Target has the 2-disc version with 2 bonus episodes of the "Justice League" cartoon. At least I think that's what it is, I'll need to double check. The weird thing is, the weekly ad states that it comes with a free "origins comic," which it clearly does not. At least not at the 2 Targets I checked here in NJ. Has anybody experienced different?

Also, seemingly no WW exclusives at Barnes & Noble, Costco or Toys "R" Us. I have yet to check Blockbuster and likely won't be able to hit Borders this week, in case anyone is so inclined.

Okay, off to bed...
Old 03-04-09, 08:14 AM

Good to see you staying active Ajay. I'm not making my weekly runs anymore, so your and other's input will be key to keep these threads useful.

On all those stores you checked, can I infer that there were no other exclusives? Or did you only look for Wonder Woman?
Old 03-04-09, 10:46 AM

Guilty as charged, Trevor. I was only really looking for Wonder Woman exclusives this week. Though I do post mention of any exclusives I find, I usually tend to have so many other agendas to keep track of that it's not often I notice other exclusives (especially when most of the time the stores themselves have little clue as to what I'm talking about).

ME: "Do you have any exclusives or promotional giveaways on any of the new DVD releases this week?"

TYPICAL STORE ASSOCIATE #1: "What do you mean?"

TYPICAL STORE ASSOCIATE #2: "We have the deluxe version, is this what you're talking about?"

TYPICAL STORE ASSOCIATE #3: "No, we don't." (and then I find out that they do have an exclusive after all).

Sad to say, it's simply become SO much work finding and keeping track of the exclusives on titles that I DO want, that I don't have much energy left to look for stuff that might exist for titles that would not otherwise interest me. I can certainly understand your desire to leave all this bullshit behind and I only hope that I have the strength of will to follow you someday. Though I am saddened and distressed to see so many retailers folding, I'm of the belief that it will end up resulting in fewer and fewer exclusives. We'll just have to see how it all plays out.

Last edited by Ajay C; 03-04-09 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-04-09, 11:47 AM

^ Don't feel guilty, I didn't mean to imply that anyone has to look for everything, I just wanted to update the post accurately.

I agree with most of your points there. I'm not totally retiring. I'll still "collect" exclusives, and do these threads. But I used to go out of my way to hit 10+ chains each week just to update the thread. I won't be doing that every week. I figure that at least one of you is doing what I do at each of these chains, so why re-invent the wheel? I'll just let you all be more active in reporting what you find.

And since you brought it up, here are my "tactics" in searching.

#1 - Never talk to store employees. No offense to those of you that work there, but most of them, like you say above Ajay, have no idea what I'm asking about. Nor should they perhaps. No store employee should be expected to know everything about all the products in the store, or even their section. I'm using hyperbole of course. If I absolutely can't find something that I know should be there, I will ask. But it's rare.

#2 - I'm now to the point where I know exactly where to look. Each store I walk into, I always presume that there are unannounced exclusives, and make my 60 second round of all the places they may be. At Target for example, I'll make a circle that will include all the endcaps (mine usually have new releases on these), the "current" or "bestseller" aisle, and an eyeball of the electronics desk area. I'll also take a glance at the flyer as I do this, although most of Target's exclusives are not mentioned in the flyer. My eyes are trained for finding them perhaps, but I'm pretty confident that I find 99% of all exclusives in about 60 seconds or so per store. But I'm a freak, doing this for 4 or whatever years has trained my eye in otherwise useless ways.

Last edited by Trevor; 03-04-09 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-04-09, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i can confirm no other bestbuy exclusives other than wonder woman this week.

trevor, im sure already know, even if its not expressed, how valuable your efforts are to a lot of dvd-nerds. ajay as well, especially lately. it seems particularly more difficult to track these store exclusives lately because a lot of them are not being promoted, prolly due to a lack of marketing dollars.

for example, i check fye pre-order books somewhat regularly, but have not seen any exclusive in the near future except for pinocchio (film cell btw woohoo!). and now a poster pops up for it all of a sudden?! shucks.

in any case, i will double my efforts to be as helpful as possible in these threads
Old 03-04-09, 09:16 PM

Thanks Hindolio. Even though I start these threads, you and others have always been doing the majority of the work. I appreciate you guys in these threads, and Speedy and the others that have/had the store threads and ad scans.

Ending up getting out of work early tonight and hitting a few stores. Updates in progress.
Old 03-04-09, 09:54 PM

Updates made. One non-DVD, but potentially $ saving deal this week.

Best Buy is giving away a case that includes two tickets to Watchmen (up to a $24 value) with any Xbox Live purchase. That item can be a 1 month card, which sells for $7.99. You also get some exclusive Xbox download, and a spare 360 case.

Even if you don't have an Xbox, you can save up to $16, and have some gifts for any Xbox friend.
Old 03-06-09, 12:19 PM

Regarding your reply to my post above, Trevor... sounds like you and I are cut from a similar cloth. Thanks for your tips, I do much the same. Tiring of it all, like yourself. Somehow or other, we shall muddle thru.
Old 03-06-09, 12:31 PM

^ For me it's become mainly a space issue. I live in a fairly small condo, already have a storage site, but have boxes and boxes of unorganized stuff everywhere.

I used to buy pretty much every exclusive, but just don't have the space anymore.

I've been a little tardy in the threads lately, maybe I'll start next week's today.....
Old 03-06-09, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want to thank all you guys for your efforts to continue these updates. It really helps me a lot when planning on whether I have to fight the crowds in NYC, as everything sells out 10x faster here than other places. Like Trevor, I have a small living space too and I am beginning to find myself sleeping with my DVDs...well almost. I am surprised they have not all collapsed on me! I have come to the point where I have to pick and choose. Right now most of my DVDs are actually SteelBooks, so pray those don't fall on me or else they will hurt more
Old 03-09-09, 01:18 PM

Sonovabitch! Just found another Wonder Woman exclusive, dammit. Borders is offering the 2-disc deluxe edition packaged with an exclusive "Making of Wonder Woman" mini-book inside the keepcase. Unfortunately, all the copies at the only Borders remotely near me were encased in those horrible DVD anti-theft trappers, which were NOT meant to house keepcases with slipcovers. As such, all of them were crimped and dented along the edges and corners, meaning I'll need to keep looking in hopes of finding one in nice shape.

Anyway, adjust your shopping lists accordingly.

Oh, and one last thing -- has anybody checked for this title at Blockbuster? The 3 near me only got copies for rental, but I remember the last DC animated feature (Batman: Gotham Knight) came with a Blockbuster exclusive CD-ROM, suggesting a possible trend. Anyway, please let me know if anyone has seen anything!

Last edited by Ajay C; 03-09-09 at 01:37 PM. Reason: added bolding, etc.
Old 03-09-09, 01:29 PM

Updated. I think Borders was late in getting their WW stock in. My local Borders didn't have any last Tues/Wed.
Old 03-09-09, 01:52 PM

I think you're right about that, Trevor. I saw none on the floor, but suspecting there might be an exclusive, made the dreaded inquiry. Thankfully, I found a rep who had his head screwed on right and who spotted mention of the exclusive in the Borders internal database (despite the fact that one is NOT listed on the Borders website). Anyway, he said that there were 4 copies in the back and brought them out for me. Hopefully your local store will have some this week if you'd like to pick one up.
Old 03-09-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ajay C
Sonovabitch!...

Unfortunately, all the copies at the only Borders remotely near me were encased in those horrible DVD anti-theft trappers...
ug! ive only seen a few box sets which were left out in the open (as opposed shelved behind locked, glass doors) with the spiders. other than that, nearly every dvd ive seen at a borders was mint. sometimes even encased in those alpha plastic security cases. hope it is not a trend, as one few highlights of borders is their mint dvds lol.