Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

'It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World' is the longer cut on VHS?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 08:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought I read somewhere that the VHS version of this film is a longer cut of the film, but not a true director's cut, as many fans want to see. As I understand it, those scenes that pad out the VHS version are part of the DVD's supplement section - right? What VHS version is the longer version - it looks like there are at least two VHS editions. Sorry this isn't technically a DVD question - but, hey I thought I'd ask.
Old 02-26-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts
Re: 'It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World' is the longer cut on VHS?

It looks like the 1993 VHS predates any DVD release, and is listed at 182 minutes. I think that's the last version I've seen, though I don't know if it was a director's cut.
Old 02-27-09, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've put my laserdisc in storage, but that is the longest cut of the film available, I guess that is the same transfer as the 93 VHS. I haven't done a comparison, but if you have the flipper disc, their are a lot of deleted scenes, I haven't gone thru all of them, if its not a flipper, it is a shorter cut of the film only.
Old 02-27-09, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Stanley Kramer's cut for the film's original theatrical release in 1963 was 192 minutes.
United Artists cut a 162 minute 70 mm version (without Kramer's involvement) for theatrical release, and a 35 mm version that runs 154 minutes --the same cut as the 162 min version but with the intro and exit music removed.

In 1991, Stanley Kramer helped oversee 182 minute version for VHS and Laserdisc release, but it is not officially labeled "a director's cut".

The DVD currently available, released 2001, is the 1963 35 mm version of the movie.

TCM shows a 184 min cut of the movie, which I believe is in 70 mm widescreen.
Old 02-27-09, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 248 Likes on 176 Posts

Also sometimes the film is 2:35 and sometimes 1:85. I had bought the 2 tape vhs version which was 2:35. Didn't open it for a very long time. Later discovered I had two of tape 1 and no tape two. Decided to tape from TCM what was on tape two and TCM showed it in 1:85.

Speaking of entrance and intermission music. Where Eagles Dare. The fullscreen vhs(no widescreen ever released) had the entrance and intermission. TCM would show it in widescreen but no entrance or intermission. When the dvd was released, no entrance or intermission either.
Old 02-27-09, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry. They'll restore the complete movie for all you Blu-Rayers! Are the deleted scenes worth checking out?
Old 02-27-09, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Swiski
Don't worry. They'll restore the complete movie for all you Blu-Rayers!
Will never happen as 6-7 minutes of footage is completely lost. Actually, the original length is about 5 hours long.

Read all about over at hometheaterforum

Last edited by Dane; 02-27-09 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-27-09, 09:39 AM

I have the two-tape VHS and it's the 182-minute version in 2.35:1 widescreen, as others have already mentioned.

Regarding the DVD, the original pressing was a flipper with the 161-minute version of the film on one-side, and the deleted scenes and other extras on the other side. MGM later reissued it without the extras-side. The original flipper version is somewhat hard to find now.
Old 02-27-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by man*machine
I have the two-tape VHS and it's the 182-minute version in 2.35:1 widescreen, as others have already mentioned.

Regarding the DVD, the original pressing was a flipper with the 161-minute version of the film on one-side, and the deleted scenes and other extras on the other side. MGM later reissued it without the extras-side. The original flipper version is somewhat hard to find now.
Yes, I own the flipper. Not suer how rare is actually is.

However, what makes it somewhat hard to find is the "flipper" and "non-flipper" has got the same UPC code..!!! What happened MGM? Morons!!
Old 02-27-09, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dane
Yes, I own the flipper. Not suer how rare is actually is.

However, what makes it somewhat hard to find is the "flipper" and "non-flipper" has got the same UPC code..!!! What happened MGM? Morons!!
Ya, and I heard the current one-sided disc still has the old menu screen on the movie side which says to turn over the disc to see the extras (which aren't there anymore!). Hilarious.

I've sold a few used copies of the flipper version on ebay for over $70 each, so some people really want it.