Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Interference RF / Electrical/Microwave??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Interference RF / Electrical/Microwave??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-00, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the below listed interference happens it is like somebody turned on a switch, and goes away just as fast.

Following are the symptoms of this interference (they all happen at the same time) are:

As seen on television:
I. Snow on VHF channel 3 (KSNW)
II. Herring Bone on VHF Channel(s) 8(KPTS) & 12 (KWCH)
III. Black and White line scrolling from the bottom of my screen to top of my screen on UHF Channel(s) 27 & 29, these channels are created for home entertainment system distribution, I also use channels 20 & 22 with no interference.

As heard on telephone:
I. Loud ‘BUZZ’ on corded devices, that sounds to me in the 60khz range.
II. ‘BUZZ’ can not be heard on cordless devices.

Other electrical devices effected:
I. Small AC transformer powered devices that have speakers buzz.
II. X-10 RF cordless controls stop working.
III. Ceiling fans start to ‘HUM’

If you feel that you might give me a lead or help reduce this interference I sure could use your help! I have been fighting this interference for close to four years! Have had KG&E and SWBell out to see if they are creating this interference with no help!

--David
[email protected]
Old 04-13-00, 06:17 PM

Well....you have a strange problem(s). Most so called interference issues are directly related to electrical grounding. You mentioned that you use X-10. Try looking at your X-10 panel interface and any network enclosures for grounding/patch problems. Next, determine if the house is properly grounded according to the National electrical code; including your service entrance, inside wiring, cable or satellite feeds, modulators, etc. Let me know how the search goes.

David Myers
Old 04-13-00, 07:37 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by davidmyers:
Well....you have a strange problem(s). Most so called interference issues are directly related to electrical grounding. You mentioned that you use X-10. Try looking at your X-10 panel interface and any network enclosures for grounding/patch problems. Next, determine if the house is properly grounded according to the National electrical code; including your service entrance, inside wiring, cable or satellite feeds, modulators, etc. Let me know how the search goes.

David Myers
<HR>

David -

Per both the local electrical service provider (KG&E) and an electrican my phone and electrical service is fully and correctly grounded...

I can throw the main breaker on the house and the 'BUZZ' will stay in the 'WIRED' phone service at the network interface box at the outside of my home... Yet SWB shows up the track down the interference it does not show up on the pole connection....

If you only know how frustrated I hove become.

--David

Old 04-13-00, 07:41 PM

I have a similiar situation in my current apartment, the main lines run right up the wall in the living room. Puts a nice tilt on any screen which can be annoying. Get the same noise problems on phones and general humming from other things. Its quite maddening isn't it? Time to move me thinks..