Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Suicide Squad (2016, Ayer) S: Smith, Leto, Robbie, Courtney, Kinnaman, Davis

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Warner Bros. sets up 'Suicide Squad'
Dan Lin to produce supervillain franchise
By DAVE MCNARY

Warner Bros. is going on a suicide mission, setting up the DC Comics property "Suicide Squad" for Dan Lin ("Sherlock Holmes") to produce as a potential franchise.

In a departure from normal comic-based fare, "Suicide Squad" concentrates on a group of incarcerated supervillains rather than the usual focus on superheroes. The first version of the squad debuted in a 1959 DC Comic, and a series was launched in 1987.

Stephen Gilchrist from Lin Pictures will co-produce. Justin Marks ("20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," "Hack/Slash," "Street Fighter") is penning the screenplay.

"Suicide Squad" will feature a mix of well-known and unknown villains recruited by the government to accomplish a task deemed too dangerous for superheroes. The historically independent operators must bury their own interpersonal conflicts and agendas to form a cohesive unit to take on a singular task.

Lin's a former Warner exec who set up his own Warner-based shingle at the start of last year. Besides producing "Sherlock Holmes," starring Robert Downey Jr., Lin's a producer on "This Side of the Truth" and "The Box" and an exec producer on "Terminator Salvation" and "Shorts."

Looks like WB has been raiding the DC vault to mine for more comic book properties to exploit. I hope its the version with Deadshot. With this and Doom Patrol, Green Lantern, Plastic Man, Teen Titans... one wonders if they'll follow what Marvel did by signing Jackson to a long term agreement as a lot of characters have the possibility of crossing over.
Old 02-26-09, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Suicide Squad (WB/DC) - News, Rumors, Cast, etc.

Deadshot!!!
Old 02-26-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Love it!
Old 02-27-09, 06:58 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Loved the first year or two of that 1987 series.
Old 02-27-09, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Whaaat? I'm sooooo cool with "DC Vault Mining" since DC has more than just Batman, Superman, and Watchmen. Just don't let them suck.

Either way, Amanda Waller better be in this; and if she is, she needs to be played by the same woman who voiced her in the JL cartoon, the great CCH Pounder.
Old 02-27-09, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Sounds awesome but I'm concerned about the writer. I'm not familiar with his other two adaptations but Street Fighter looks simply dreadful.
Old 02-27-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Either way, Amanda Waller better be in this; and if she is, she needs to be played by the same woman who voiced her in the JL cartoon, the great CCH Pounder.

Pretty much. Without her I wont see the movie. Perfect casting.
Old 02-27-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you didn't know any better you'd think they wrote the Comic character based on her.
Old 02-27-09, 10:13 AM

Should Pounder don a fat suit for the role?

I wonder if the actor who will portray Captain Boomerang will be an actual Aussie? Australian actors come over to America and play American or Brits, this time, one can be legit.
Old 02-27-09, 11:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Sounds awesome but I'm concerned about the writer. I'm not familiar with his other two adaptations but Street Fighter looks simply dreadful.
yeah..this is the part that worries me...
Old 09-19-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by The Hollywood Reporter
David Ayer Eyeing Warner Bros.' 'Suicide Squad' (Exclusive)
10:40 AM PDT 9/19/2014 by Rebecca Ford

David Ayer, the gritty filmmaker whose WWII tank drama Fury hits theaters next month, is circling Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment project Suicide Squad.

The project had been in development with Justin Marks attached to write for a couple of years, but sources say it was put on the backburner when focus turned to Warner Bros.' other DC Entertainment property Justice League.

The Suicide Squad team, also known as Task Force X, was created by Robert Kanigher and Ross Andru, and first appeared in Brave and the Bold #25. It centers on the characters Deadshot, King Shark, Captain Boomerang and Harley Quinn.

The DC property about convicted supervillains who have a chance to redeem themselves through dangerous missions has been in the works for some time at Warner Bros. Marks wrote a script in 2011. Sources say Warner Bros. starting looking for a director earlier in 2014.

Dan Lin is producing.

Warner Bros. had no comment.

Ayer wrote and directed Fury, which stars Brad Pitt and Shia LaBeouf. It hits theaters on Oct. 17. His previous films include Sabotage and End of Watch. He's repped by CAA and Sloane, Offer.
Old 09-19-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Ayer seems to be the right choice to direct this. Could be good, although hopefully it'll have some connection with the other DC movies, but knowing Warner, it'll be a stand alone film.
Old 09-19-14, 02:08 PM
Banned

Would be amazing if they kept the title as "Suicide Squad" but I don't trust WB with how're they're doing anything DC now.

That and having suicide in a title is a no no especially if it has violence. I'd guess. The only film i can think of with "Suicide" in the title is The Virgin Suicides, in the more mainstream. Though I think it was an indie.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 09-19-14 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-19-14, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Would be amazing if they kept the title as "Suicide Squad" but I don't trust WB with how're they're doing anything DC now.
Yeah, they'll probably go with the more PC, and mundane, title Task Force X.
Old 09-19-14, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Ayer seems to be the right choice to direct this. Could be good, although hopefully it'll have some connection with the other DC movies, but knowing Warner, it'll be a stand alone film.
Maybe not the movies, but it could be connected with the Arrow TV series since Suicide Squad has been involved with Arrow.
Old 09-19-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It's a huge decision for Warner to decide whether or not this is a PG-13 film, affecting the entire project. I have to believe they will aim for a hard PG-13, in the hopes of luring in teenage boys. A PG-13 version will likely get a bigger budget and more expensive cast.
Old 09-19-14, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Could be interesting but I don't entirely trust the present direction of Warner/DC so I dunno.
Old 09-19-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's a huge decision for Warner to decide whether or not this is a PG-13 film, affecting the entire project. I have to believe they will aim for a hard PG-13, in the hopes of luring in teenage boys. A PG-13 version will likely get a bigger budget and more expensive cast.
Given how far PG-13 can go, could work.
Old 09-19-14, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

The animated "Batman: Attack on Arkham" was kickass and pretty hardcore. So it can be done.
Old 09-19-14, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

The animated "Batman: Attack on Arkham" was kickass and pretty hardcore. So it can be done.
I dunno if I'd say that. The DCAU has been around for a long time and has its shit together. The live action department at DC/Warner seems really shakey and seemingly have no direction but are just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks. I have very little faith in any of their current projects.
Old 09-19-14, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Warner's film division has very few executives with understanding of Pop culture. They wouldn't be caught dead admitting they even know what a comic book is in private. They tried to change this by moving the former business head of DC Comics up to the top position. It won't do anything since most of their executives are extremely out of touch with mainstream American cultural interests.

If you want to cast a prestige project for Oscar bait, get it made at WB. Avoid messing with their comic book properties unless you are Christopher Nolan and can blow them off.
Old 09-19-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This seems uninteresting like the Sinister Six movie.
Old 09-19-14, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

While I'd love to see it, I'm not sure we need it. Now that GotG was a massive hit, everyone is trying to find the next one of those. Seems like that is what is causing many of these movies be thought of again.
Old 09-19-14, 11:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
This seems uninteresting like the Sinister Six movie.
Suicide Squad is not comparable to Sinister Six at all. Suicide Squad has had a few ongoing comics that were well received. Sinister Six has never held its own title. Suicide Squad has more in common with Guardians of the Galaxy in that both are almost completely unknown to anyone who does not read comics.
Old 09-20-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Suicide Squad is not comparable to Sinister Six at all. Suicide Squad has had a few ongoing comics that were well received. Sinister Six has never held its own title. Suicide Squad has more in common with Guardians of the Galaxy in that both are almost completely unknown to anyone who does not read comics.
That's nice. Irrelevant to my post and opinion about it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.