Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Most Shameful Double Dip Ever?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-09, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most Shameful Double Dip Ever?

Double dipping dvds usually never bothered me, but for some reason, I am greatly annoyed at the arrogance to release Back to the Future again on dvd. The dvds are the exact same releases and extras as the Back to the Future collection set released a few years ago.

Do the studios really think consumers are this igorant? We can enjoy all three films in the original edition release for the same price as just one re-release! There was absolutely no reason to produce these videos again on dvd.
Old 02-22-09, 12:20 AM

Re: Most Shameful Double Dip Ever?

I believe the main reason for double dips like Back to the Future is basically to get more promotion for the movies in Sunday ads and online, along with replacing the older, lower priced release with a newer, higher priced release. The double dips aren't really for people who already own the first DVD release, but for people who don't own them.
Old 02-22-09, 12:20 AM

It would be nice if a Blu release was coinciding with this re-release of the movies on standard DVD. Since it isn't however, I will stick with my Back to the Future trilogy set.
Old 02-22-09, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, there are some nice new slipcovers, and Best Buy has exclusive film cells. Plus wasn't there a problem with the framing on the original release?
Old 02-22-09, 09:16 AM

This definitely isn't the most shameful.

The first movie has a second disc full of new content. Plus, this is the first time the films have been released individually. Some people only like the first film and may have held out because they didn't want the trilogy.
Old 02-22-09, 09:20 AM

Even though I own the original BTTF trilogy, I bought all 3 new releases. I was going to get just the first one, but then thought well I'll get all 3. Now I see that they have them on sale for $9.99 each so I'm going there tomorrow and get $15 back.
Old 02-22-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
Plus wasn't there a problem with the framing on the original release?
There was but Universal had a replacement program soon after so I think future printings were corrected.

Even though I own the original BTTF trilogy, I bought all 3 new releases. I was going to get just the first one, but then thought well I'll get all 3. Now I see that they have them on sale for $9.99 each so I'm going there tomorrow and get $15 back.
Any reason why you got Parts 2 and 3? To each their own and all that, but $20 ($30 before the sale) for the same exact content? Just curious as to why.

Last edited by TheMovieman; 02-22-09 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-22-09, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Any reason why you got Parts 2 and 3? To each their own and all that, but $20 ($30 before the sale) for the same exact content? Just curious as to why.
so he would'nt have part 1 and then the BTTF trilogy next to it on his shelf...rather just have the seperate releases and sell off the trilogy.
Old 02-22-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
so he would'nt have part 1 and then the BTTF trilogy next to it on his shelf...rather just have the seperate releases and sell off the trilogy.
Again, to each their own, lol.

Back on topic, no, I don't think this is the most shameful re-release/double dip, though I do wish they had added some new content for parts 2 and 3.
Old 02-22-09, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't even consider these releases of Part 2 and 3 to be "double dips" in the strictest sense of the term....as others have pointed out, this is the first time these films have been released individually, and they did not even add any new content to those two....
Only Part 1 can somewhat be called a "double dip", in that they added a second disc of new features that was not available previously...however, this is also the first time the film has been available by itself, so it still doesn't actually fit the term 100%....

A truely shameful double dip is one where the new release is a downgrade to a previously released disc....one where they remove features, or even worse make it pan and scan when it was widescreen before!
Old 02-22-09, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by WMAangel
A truely shameful double dip is one where the new release is a downgrade to a previously released disc....one where they remove features, or even worse make it pan and scan when it was widescreen before!
The current crop of "I Love the 80's" DVDs from Paramount may be the worst offenders out there. These are movies that are widely available, many of them in solid 2-disc or other special editions, and the "new" 80s DVD offers gullible buyers a stripped down version of the film accompanied by a "bonus" CD of recycled 80s songs (none of which actually appear in the particular movie), at a higher price than the special edition.

No thanks.
Old 02-22-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by scottp120
Where?
Old 02-22-09, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not so much shame..

POINT BREAK!
Old 02-22-09, 11:44 AM
Banned

The 2-disk Babel was pretty craptacular considering the obscene price and only one (albeit indepth) extra.
Beetlejuice
Poltergeist
Old 02-22-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
Where?
Best Buy.
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
The 2-disk Babel was pretty craptacular considering the obscene price and only one (albeit indepth) extra.
Beetlejuice
Poltergeist
Those suck, but they're not quite shameful in the best sense of the word. I'd have to contend that it's one of the eight or nine different re-releases of Independence Day with new cover art but the exact same disc inside the packaging.
Old 02-22-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Two-Disc "Titanic" which is currently out are the same discs from the Three-Disc set, minus the excellent third disc.
Old 02-22-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

The Abyss
Old 02-22-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

So I Married An Axe Murderer: Special Edition

Here is the front:

Here is the back:

The only thing "special" is the new Dolby Digital 5.1 remix. That's it. No extras, just the DD 5.1 sound.

Smell it, smell it, now taste it.
Old 02-22-09, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Didn't Sin City do a second release that had like 30 seconds extra material in it? Maybe not shameful, but definitely lame.
Old 02-22-09, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
Didn't Sin City do a second release that had like 30 seconds extra material in it? Maybe not shameful, but definitely lame.
Not quite. They did have the uncut versions of each story, but they each featured 5 min of credits, resulting in an inflated length being advertised.

With that said, it was a 2-Disc set with lots of other bells and whistles (including the first Sin City graphic novel), whereas the previous release was a single disc set with one 8 min. behind the scenes featurette.
Old 02-22-09, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,824 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Seconded for 'I love the '80s' series. Also getting a little tired of various Evil Dead editions, and Chainsaw seems to have gone through a few too many releases for my money.

I'd call a shameful double-dip one where a few new extras are added, and some are taken away (as with the above horror movies) so that you 'have' to get the new disc, even if you were more than happy with the older release.
Old 02-22-09, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Releasing a single disc of X-men 2 was pointless.

Also WB's lame four episode discs of their cartoons{some of which repeat certain episodes}.
Old 02-22-09, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by emachine12
So I Married An Axe Murderer: Special Edition

Here is the front:

Here is the back:

The only thing "special" is the new Dolby Digital 5.1 remix. That's it. No extras, just the DD 5.1 sound.

Smell it, smell it, now taste it.
Ditto on this one. I was stoked when I heard an SE of Axe was coming out, only to find out that NOTHING in the way of extras, etc., was on it. I think you got some free song downloads w/ purchase. That and the new audio. Why'd they even bother?
Old 02-22-09, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One that hasn't been mentioned: The Jerk. First, Universal releases a full-screen disc. Then, they make amends for that snafu with a "26th Anniversary Edition" that includes a fucking ukulele lesson and a 4-minute deleted scene. "Don't call them Universal, call them Shitheads." And yeah, those "I Love the 80's" repackagings are beyond ridiculous.
Old 02-22-09, 10:51 PM

BTTF movies are $9.99 each this week at Best Buy. Sorry

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.