Reload this Page >

Question about quality of re-released anime box sets

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-21-09, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

i just noticed that some anime companys are cutting the anime discs after releasing the single dvds or a box set.

For example, its Full Metal Alchemist Season 1 - 7DVDs in two boxes or 7DVDs in cases - The brandnew complete collection only has 4 DVDs!

Same with Azumaya Daioh!, Air Gear, Pani Poni Dash, Air TV, Kanon and a few others.

Are the "new" DVD Boxes not as good as cause they are printed on less dvds? (No extras, compressed quality? Artifacts?).

Is it better to buy the old box sets? I mean bootlegs are often printed on 3DVDs and their quality is...meh.

Its just a question, hope someone can give more information.

RockJack
Old 02-22-09, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Question about quality of re-released anime box sets

Most of the time, they just kill the extras, freeing up disc space. From your examples, AFAIK, the image quality is not degraded at all, and you shouldn't worry. If you want all the extras though, you might need to grab the singles. Online reviews should clear up any specific questions regarding that.

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 02-22-09 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-22-09, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Most of the time, they just kill the extras, freeing up disc space. From your examples, AFAIK, the image quality is not degraded at all, and you shouldn't worry. If you want all the extras though, you might need to grab the singles. Online reviews should clear up any specific questions regarding that.
Hey canaryfarmer,

thanks for your reply.

I think i will get the old dvd box sets if i can, its just difficult and a little bit more expensive

RockJack

€dit.: Do you have any reviews to the new box sets like FMA or School Rumble? I couldnt find any, just for the old dvds

Last edited by RockJack; 02-22-09 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-23-09, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There's a whole thread for anime, you'll probably have better luck asking there.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/47...on-thread.html
Old 02-24-09, 12:29 PM

I wouldn't worry too much, if you only care about the episodes. These newer releases should be fine. They take up less space on your shelf and will save you a bundle! The key thing to remember is that the American anime distribution model doesn't consist of 6 discs (once upon a time 8!!) of 4 30 minute episodes due to video quality. It's more of a subscription model to get back their licensing costs plus profit. Most US tv box sets toss twice as many episodes per disc with no quality complaints in most cases. Also the anime releases often don't have surround tracks to begin with which also saves space. In general I rent all of my anime now, and will purchase the budget rerelease if I enjoyed the show enough.