Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

U-Control question for Universal Blu-Ray discs

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-09, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've got the Blu-Ray discs for Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Knocked Up and 40-Year-Old Virgin, all of which are from Universal and all of which have the U-Control special feature. I have a Magnavox NB500MG (it's profile 1.1) and I can bring up the Picture-in-Picture feature. The issue is that I can't locate its audio. On Forgetting Sarah Marshall, there is a visual commentary and the audio is the 4th track, which is the regular audio commentary, but I can't find the audio for the PIP behind-the-scenes footage. Same goes for the other two movies. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!
Old 02-22-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: U-Control question for Universal Blu-Ray discs

You'll need to go into the player's Setup menu and turn on Secondary Audio.

If you're bitstreaming the high-res audio codecs to a receiver, you'll have to turn Secondary Audio off again when you want to watch the movie.
Old 03-16-09, 04:15 PM

I've been able to produce "Secondary Audio" by hitting the Audio button on the remote twice (the first time brings up the primary audio options), and I can turn it on, but I can't seem to select it to output the secondary audio instead of the primary.

Last edited by MisterHowie; 03-16-09 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-16-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

LG may call it something different. You'll have to check the manual. Basically, if you're sending audio over HDMI in "bitstream" form, the PiP audio is not part of the bitstream and won't be transmitted. You'll need to switch the player to do audio decoding internally so that it can mix in the PiP portion.
Old 03-16-09, 09:00 PM

Thank you! Both responses together helped me understand what to do. I've gotten this feature to work on Batman Begins. I'll test it out on those other discs. I appreciate the help!