Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

For all you laserdisc fans...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

For all you laserdisc fans...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-00, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question for all of you with laserdisc collections:
I recently have been bitten by the laserdisc bug, and have decided to pick up the Pioneer DVL-919 (think that's the model #). I realize that I will need a RF demodulator to get Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, but my question is this: What about DTS? I know Yamaha makes a demodulator for DD, but will it work for DTS? If anybody has info about this, and maybe a link to a place online for the Yamaha (I heard I could find one for around $100) I would appreciate it.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.dvd-o-rama.com"" TARGET=_blank>DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude
[email protected]
Old 04-09-00, 12:06 AM

the dts signal is encoded on the digital audio tracks of a laserdisc player, so it is passed through the optical or coaxial digital output of the player--just as if would from a dvd player--to your receiver. the DD signal is modulated and actually replaces one of the two analog audio tracks on the laserdisc--a neat trick--but you're correct that you need a demodulator to turn it into a coax/optical signal your receiver can decode.

as for demodulators, $100 is a great price for any brand demodualtor. check sony's site for theirs for @ $100 + shipping. at any rate, try several company's sites, and only as a last resort got to ebay.

------------------removed personal attack

[This message has been edited by gkleinman (edited November 15, 2000).]
Old 04-09-00, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
DVD-O-Rama, you won't believe how good dts on LD can sound. Unfortunately, the really good dts LD title are going for lots of money on Epay, with the following being the tougher ones to find at reasonable prices:

Independence Day
Armageddon
Casper
Titanic
Ronin
X-Files
Toy Story
Jurassic Park 1 and 2
True Lies
Blade
Speed

You can pick up some cheap dts LDs at www.eavlaser.com at $9.99 a pop, but the selection is quite limited (The Rock, Street Fighter, StarGate, etc). www.lvd.com was an okay to pick up dts LDs, but their stock is drying up or their asking price approaches MSRP. www.dtsonline.com has a few dts LDs for 60% off MSRP - again the selection is sparse. I started hunting down lots of dts LDs about 6 months ago, and the main 3 dts LDs that have eluded me so far are Independence Day, Ronin and X-Files (and maybe Austin Powers).

I did pre-order the TPM LD (Japanese import edition), and I was very lucky to find a AC-3 RF Demodulator for cheap so I am DD capable with my LD player, but Epay is also the last resort for those late in the AC-3 LD game.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 04-09-00, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Patman, I've gotta laugh...Epay? Good one

Prices are still a little more than what I want to pay for most discs, and the entire reason I even though about laserdisc was to see Star Wars on my system sometime before 2006 (or whenever Sir George pulls his head out of his anus). I am planning on picking up the Trilogy at LVD.com for $30. Yeah, I know they aren't 5.1, but a laser with Dolby Surround is better than VHS any day.
I've seen the 'Definitive Collection' on Ebay for @$125+ Anybody have any thoughts on it?
Thanks for the info and the links, Patman.
I almost forgot...your Yamaha demodulator will work for passing DTS as well as DD?
I know it must work somehow for you to be singing the praises of dts sound

------------------
[email protected]
Old 04-09-00, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama:
I've seen the 'Definitive Collection' on Ebay for @$125+ Anybody have any thoughts on it? [/B]<HR>

I own the Definitive Collection ... what kind of thoughts are you looking for ?
I think new it was $250. I paid $75 for my used copy. It is CAV ... but the sound is not DD5.1 if I remember, just Dolby Surround. There is a book which is ok. I forget what "extras" they put on the laserdiscs ... but nothing sticks out in my memory .... of course I haven't watched it in about 4 years ... I am trying to watch all my DVDs now ....
Old 04-09-00, 06:01 PM
Tom

DVD_O_Rama,

My apologies if I am a bit confused by this and I muddy the waters further, but I don't see in here where you mention if your receiver has DTS and DD. I'm guessing not since your looking into external demodulators. I have a little experience in LD's as I have had a Sony MDP-800 which I think was their first entry into the LD market, and was before AC3. When AC3 came out on LD I didn't want to sink a bunch of money into a new player, new receiver, new discs etc... Same with DVD when DTS hit. Why spend all the extra money. Well I ended up aquiring a Sony receiver that did DTS, and when talking to a knowledgeable person at a hi-end video store he set me straight on the DTS facts. Since my LD player has digital (optical) out and my receiver has DTS I can play DTS LDs. Another thing I was not aware of is that even though my DVD player did not have DTS, I could play DTS audio discs in it.

My point, buried somewhere deep in there is that if you have a DTS receiver, and a LD with digital out, you are already ready.
Old 04-12-00, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the responses on this topic. I missed the last two responses, and just happened to come across them today.
This might seem like a *real* stupid question...my only previous experiences have been with stand alone units (either DVD or LD) and with the unit I'm getting (the Pioneer DVL-919) it's a combo player.
Are there seperate audio outputs for DVD and LD playback? I am referring strictly to digital outputs. I know it has both coax and toslink outputs (along with the old analog ones), but I'm not sure if you can use just one cable, and depending on which source you are playing from , that's what you will hear?
I am just wondering if I am going to have to buy another cable, or I can just use the one coax I have now.
I guess this is directed more at Patman, because I know he has a Pioneer combo unit. So, any guidance for this lost soul?
Thanks for all the help, fellas.

Oh, and LightTrinity...I was refering to the Definitive Collection (or whatever it was called) that was released in '97. I believe the one you mention was from '93. How many times did Sir George release Star Wars on LD? Greedy sunava....

------------------
[email protected]
Old 04-12-00, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
DVD_O_RAMA,

There are separate digital audio outputs on the DVL919. You should have the AC-3 RF output (where you hook up the RCA coax to the RF demodulator), and depending on the demodulator, you can output either a TOSLink or a RCA coax to your receiver's digital audio input, but the grand daddy of all RF demods is the Pioneer RFD-1 which will allow you to also plug in the digital audio output from the LD player so that you only have to use just 1 digital audio input on the receiver and it'll autoswitch between all the active inputs, otherwise, you'll have to use 2 digital audio inputs.

From my DVL909, I have connected the AC-3 output to my Yamaha APD1 demod, and its output goes to my DVD/LD coax digital audio input, while my LD's digital audio output (TOSLink) goes to my DVD/LD TOSLink digital audio input.

Then my standalone DVD player, I also use the TV/SAT input instead, and take the digital audio TOSLink output from the DVD player and hook it up to the TV/SAT digital audio TOSLink input.

My receiver is set to auto-input detection mode, so it know what's active and will play either the AC-3 from the LD, or the dts from the LD depending on the LD that's in the DVL909. Sometimes, it might require manual intervention to get the right digital audio track to play if I also have the DVD player on at the same time. I prefer my Proscan DVD video output over the DVL DVD output for now. But I may just move the Proscan DVD to my bedroom and rely on the DVL for my LD and DVD player.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 04-12-00, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Once again, you've come through with the info. Thanks, Patman!

------------------
[email protected]