Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need Recommendations on a GREAT VCR!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need Recommendations on a GREAT VCR!

Old 04-10-00, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help!

My (ancient) vcr died last night (halfway through happy, texas I might add!) and I need to replace it. I almost bought one at mobshop last week, but there were alot of complaints (the toshiba M675?) of faint green lines on the picture. I really only use my vcr for playing videos - I haven't been recording anything (don't watch tv) right now. The cost should be below $275, $250 is the preferred max (I'm in college! Links to coupons/deals for these recommended vcrs would also help alot

Thanks!!!!!
Earl Cressey
Old 04-10-00, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You realize you're addressing a bunch of anti-VCR people on this website. I would suggest something priced cheaper ($150 or so - Panasonic is decent). Then spend the rest of your money on a DVD player and learn what movies really look and sound like.

------------------
"I do wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner."
Old 04-10-00, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am not anti-VCR, but I agree that for almost anything that is prerecorded, I use my LD or DVD player. At the price of DVD players now, it is a no-brainer if one is making a choice of method to view "videos" and the videos are available on DVD, and you don't record.

But, most of us still have/use VCRs anyway. I have 4 of them (2 LD players, 3 DVD players ) There are lots of good VCRs out there, but your first criteria is decide on features. You want Hi-Fi stereo. Some VCRs programmability and menu options will make you kick the remote.

I like JVC or Sony for VCRs. http://www.mobshop.com has had some good deals on VCRs, such as the SuperVHS JVC for around $100 with a coupon. Some people got it for under that. I paid $110 for it a month ago. I thing it's a very nice VCR, and that price is very good. I also bought a S-VHS VCR from Value America 5 months ago. It never showed up.

Old 04-10-00, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you're really into getting quality SVHS playback, I would suggest the JVC 7600 or the 9600 models. They have better circuitry which cleans up the video for better performance. If you scrounge around the 7600 is doable for around $300 I think.

Otherwise, I would just buy a conventional VHS 4-head Hi-Fi VCR from Panasonic or Sony for around $130-$160.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 04-10-00, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Don't rip on the guy for asking about a VCR. Do we all love DVD? HELL YEAH!!

But, until you I can watch my home movies or record TV shows on DVD, I'll still have a VCR in my setup as well.

------------------
GuessWho's DVDTracker List
Old 04-10-00, 03:29 PM
Uber Member

Moving to DVD and Home Theater Hardware forum.

------------------
-David
Other forum
Old 04-10-00, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sorry for posting in the wrong area - I figured "other" would be the safest category for a topic concerning vcrs - I have a dvd player, and I have lots of dvd movies, I just also own around 250 VHS tapes, and I'd like to be able to watch them, hence, I asked for good recommendations for vcrs....I know "..what movies really look and sound like."

Any other recommendations? The hi-fi 4 head sounds like the way to go tho

Earl

Old 04-10-00, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

actually, I picked up a JVC that is not SVHS but has a quasi SVHS playback so you can use the tapes. My wife records a lot of TV shows that are late at night since we have to go to work really early.

JVC makes a very nice unit at a very very reasonable price. Don't spend more than 150 bucks if you don't need to do it. VCRs have gotten so cheap you can get a good one very reasonably.

However, when it comes to movies....DVD 4 ME!!! Cannot wait til Pricess Bride comes out so I can junk the VHS tape.
Old 04-12-00, 01:03 PM

Sorry I know this is a bit off-topic but I saw in Liquid Death's post about the green lines in the Toshiba. Man I thought I was crazy. They are very faint but definetly there. What in the world causes this? Other than this , this is a great vcr. I have kinda tuned out the green now just curious as to what is causing that.