Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Cable difference between car and home audio...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Cable difference between car and home audio...

Old 04-10-00, 12:40 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all of the talk about car dvd and other stuff along those lines, I am curious about whether or not a person should have better quality audio cables with all of the noise potential and other variables car audio applications have.

I realize that I am probably going to get a variety of opinions but I would just like to get a feel for what most people think.

One store tech I talked to said I should get 3 $40 "top of the line" monster cables, even though there were 3 "middle of the road" Monster cables for $12 each right next to them. He said that it would make a "HUGE" difference. Your thoughts please...
Old 04-10-00, 05:02 AM

I personally think that big cables are all a marketing gimmick.

For answers to your questions, it may be best to check the other "big cables" threads rather than starting again here.

Beejay.
Old 04-11-00, 02:42 AM

As far as car audio cables are concerned, they are generally designed for an automotive enviorment. Power cables have thick jackets to resist heat and oil. Signal cables, the more expensive ones, are double or triple shielded to prevent radiated noise. In my experiences it is generally ok to go with less expensive signal cables. They should do just fine. BTW the mark-up on most car audio accessories is anywhere from 50% to as much as 90%. That's probably what the HUGE difference is.
Old 04-11-00, 12:22 PM

As long as you are careful how you route the signal and power wires in your car, you should be fine going with the cheaper cables. The nicer ones generally have better terminations and more sheilding, but as long as you keep your signal cables as far away from any power wires in your car (factory or not) as possible you'll be fine. When noise is present in a car stereo system it can rarely be fixed by simply swapping a cable, it is usually a grounding or routing problem.

------------------
People say nothing is forever. If that's true how do you explain herpes or the Greatful Dead. I say forever is for people who got the balls to make it last.