Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba SD1200 - Horizontal Lines Across Picture?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Toshiba SD1200 - Horizontal Lines Across Picture?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-00, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am running a Toshiba SD1200 connected to my computer via an ATI All-in-Wonder 128. I have noticed horozontal lines running across the picture for every dvd I have played since picking up this unit. I initially had it hooked up with the composite video cable, but I switched to S-video to see if that would clear up the problem - it has not.

These lines are particularly visible over the color red. I would call tech support, but I'm not sure if I should be calling ATI, Toshiba or Samsung (the manufacturer of my monitor).

I would connect the DVD player to a television, but I do not have one available. (I'm a college student.) I used to run a Pioneer DVD-Rom in my computer and never had any image problems, so of the three possible culprits I think my monitor is the least likely. If anyone can at least give me an idea what the problem might be, I'd appreciate it.
Old 04-10-00, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is Level 2 Macrovision ("Color-Striping") at work, a form of copy-protection on DVDs. It is meant to fool VCRs into making imperfect copies. My guess is that it is fooling the video input of your card. The only way to fix this for you is to either get your dvd player modified ("chipped", as people would say) to disable macrovision, or to buy a black box that will clean up the signal.
Old 04-10-00, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the information fantasia, I am hugely relieved that the unit isn't defective. It has been a nightmare trying to get the warranty on my Pioneer DVD-Rom honored, I just don't think I could go through it again.

I guess I'll just have to wait for a month or two until I get a real television. Appreciate your help.