Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Halo Wars

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Halo Wars

So the demo’s been out about a week now. What’s everyone think? Is anyone picking this up?
Old 02-12-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Halo Wars

I didn't like the demo. I'd rather play AOE on the PC instead of this type of game on a console.
Old 02-12-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually thought it was pretty decent and sense I don't have any other rts games right now I could see myself gettting this game eventually . I liked the control scheme for console version at least , and I don't play games on my laptop. Now one caveat is if I had a pc that I used for gaming then I probably would not play this game at all.
Old 02-12-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty meh RTS imo
Old 02-12-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm...I thought it was just me. I cancelled my preorder for the LE because of the demo.
Old 02-13-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

wow, I thought it was very well done...Game Informer gave it a 9.25 I think...easily the best Halo game I have ever played.
Old 02-13-09, 12:28 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

I liked it. Played through the demo twice. I had zero interest in this game. But after playing the demo, I'm thinking of picking it up.
Old 02-13-09, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I like these, what are they called? "RTS" games? But I suck at them. I tried this Halo demo and I got my ass handed to me. But still, I may get it when the price drops.
Old 03-03-09, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone picking this up today? I am getting it for my son for his birthday this weekend. I'll be getting the limited edition version to get the Halo 3 map pack code.
Old 03-03-09, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be getting it from Gamefly in the next day or so. I've never been into Halo at all, but I like RTS games and I enjoyed the demo.
Old 03-03-09, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Buy.com has the LE for $68.
Old 03-03-09, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't get past the third mission. In the city. You have to defend the transports.
Old 03-03-09, 09:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
I'll be getting it from Gamefly in the next day or so. I've never been into Halo at all, but I like RTS games and I enjoyed the demo.
I should have gotten it from Gamefly but I've been getting screwed over by them on new releases for quite some time now

sorry... just had to vent

Anyway I really enjoyed the demo. I usually don't like RTS on the console since they don't quite work out well. I think the control mechanism they came up w/ addresses some of the problems w/ this. Still does anyone know if this is eventually going to be released on the PC? I think I'd much rather play it that way.
Old 03-03-09, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

I just feel that this game will be one that lots of kids will buy since it's Halo, only to decide that RTS is not their thing. I expect to find it used cheap within a month. We'll see I guess...
Old 03-03-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nemein
I should have gotten it from Gamefly but I've been getting screwed over by them on new releases for quite some time now

sorry... just had to vent

Anyway I really enjoyed the demo. I usually don't like RTS on the console since they don't quite work out well. I think the control mechanism they came up w/ addresses some of the problems w/ this. Still does anyone know if this is eventually going to be released on the PC? I think I'd much rather play it that way.
You just need to know how to work the (Gamefly) system. I always make sure to clear out my queue of "Available" games and only leave the game I want or the game that is coming out in my queue (along with various pre-release games). This works for me 9 times out of 10 in getting new releases a day or so after Gamefly lists them as available.

I do that same thing for currently available but high demand titles, and it usually means I only have to wait a few days at most before they ship. I've been doing this for years.

I have felt the same way you do about RTS games on consoles, the controls are just never up to par. However, I agree that Halo Wars controls seemed pretty solid to me.
Old 03-03-09, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You just need to know how to work the (Gamefly) system. I always make sure to clear out my queue of "Available" games and only leave the game I want or the game that is coming out in my queue (along with various pre-release games). This works for me 9 times out of 10 in getting new releases a day or so after Gamefly lists them as available.
I usually keep my queue full and I'm lucky if I have 1 game that is currently available. The issue regarding getting new games has been timing the releases. For example for the longest time Killzone2 was listed as being released on 26 Feb. I dropped something in the mail on the 24th (since it always takes two days to ship to them for some unknown reason) but then it changed to the 27th. So I missed that. Same w/ Halo Wars, originally listed as being released on the 3 Mar, so I dropped something in the mail on the 28th, then the release changed to the 2nd. We'll see what happens w/ HAWX later this week but I'm not holding my breath. I guess I've just gotten used to Netflix...
Old 03-03-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nemein
I usually keep my queue full and I'm lucky if I have 1 game that is currently available. The issue regarding getting new games has been timing the releases. For example for the longest time Killzone2 was listed as being released on 26 Feb. I dropped something in the mail on the 24th (since it always takes two days to ship to them for some unknown reason) but then it changed to the 27th. So I missed that. Same w/ Halo Wars, originally listed as being released on the 3 Mar, so I dropped something in the mail on the 28th, then the release changed to the 2nd. We'll see what happens w/ HAWX later this week but I'm not holding my breath. I guess I've just gotten used to Netflix...
You just need to time things better. Leave a bit more time between when you send back and a game is released.

I lucked out with Halo Wars. I got FEAR 2 on Friday, beat it by Saturday morning and had it in the mail Saturday. I got an email on Monday saying they received FEAR 2 (via Fast Return, which is really hit or miss) and then shortly after that got the email that Halo Wars had shipped.

It also helps that I have the 2-out plan, and I really don't have the time to play two games, so if I only have a single game at home, then it isn't a big deal. I might not be getting the most quantity as I could out of my subscription, but the fact that I am constantly getting new games definitely makes up for that. Not to mention the fact that those "new" games can be kept for $45 or less, unless its a game I cannot wait for, that is the only way I buy new games.

Last edited by flashburn; 03-03-09 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-03-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I just feel that this game will be one that lots of kids will buy since it's Halo, only to decide that RTS is not their thing. I expect to find it used cheap within a month. We'll see I guess...
Same here. I also see Amazon having it as their DOTD in the next couple months. I don't mind waiting for this one.
Old 03-03-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I like these, what are they called? "RTS" games? But I suck at them. I tried this Halo demo and I got my ass handed to me. But still, I may get it when the price drops.
real time strategy. I prefer watching other people over their shoulder play them than actually playing them.
Old 03-03-09, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
yeah, I'm betting on the used market for this one too.
Old 03-03-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Buy.com has the LE for $68.
I got my LE for $65 at BB after reward zone points.
Old 03-03-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you could grab it from here (will ship next week) http://www.gamedealdaily.com/

he is a CAG regular that has his own business. $39.99 comes in the LE tin (nothing else from the LE version) + shipping

(probably better than the "used" market will be for awhile)
Old 03-03-09, 02:04 PM

Haven't had a chance to play this, but one of my buddies I'm pretty sure will pick it up so I'll check it out at some point. I like the occasional RTS but I'm most curious to see how they made it work on the console since it's been so PC-centric forever.
Old 03-03-09, 02:10 PM
Banned

I grabbed the Limited Edition, wanted one in good shape and of course, with all valid codes. The game is like a popcorn RTS, not much depth, but more fun in the traditional sense. I thought about waiting on used, but the new Halo 3 maps and two bonus vehicles pushed me to a new one.
Old 03-03-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

I love RTS games. Halo, not so much.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.