Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Germany/France's animated DRAGON HUNTERS DVD Mini Review

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-09, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased the German PAL DVD of Dragon Hunters from Amazon.de

The DVD is of excellent quality:
-English Dolby Digital 5.1 audio (with Forest Whitaker voicing the dragon hunter in this film)
-Anamorphic Widescreen
-Non-forced German subtitles that can be turned on or off.

If you are looking for a mature children's animated film in the style of Coraline or Pixar flicks, I highly recommend this film. It's very exciting movie - definitely one of the best dragon-oriented films that I've seen. It's also one of the most visually original and exciting for a Pixar-type CG-animated film (with Wall-E in first place of course). The world in this movie is made up of a broken-up earth, with big areas of rocks, buildings floating around the atmosphere (it's sort of as if Earth is made up of a lot of mini-earths all sort of floating next to each other, always moving, but with gravity). This world is sort of similar to the world in Hong Kong's The Legend Of Zu. Dragon Hunters has the better story though. Besides Dragon Hunters and Legend of Zu having a similar heavenly scenery, both movies have similar monsters - In Legend of Zu, there's tons of skulls that merge and form into one mega-huge monster skull. In Dragon hunters, there's tons of bats that merge and form into one mega-huge monster.

This film was a nice surprise, and just wait till you see the main dragon villain in this film - pretty scary and huge - it's sort of like the same build up to the monster in Cloverfield.

Film: 8
DVD Video: 9 (eye-popping clarity)
DVD Audio: 9 (highly active surrounds and subwoofer action)
Extras: 2 (non-subtitled German Making Of, and some trailers)

You can purchase the dvd here:
(http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001...pf_rd_i=301128).

Here's the youtube trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAo__tKIznY
Here's the IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944834/

Last edited by toddly6666; 02-07-09 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-08-09, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First BATHORY and now this...you're certainly turning up some interesting stuff. The trailer looks pretty good. The movie's official site also has some teasers with the English dub for those who want to check it out.

I checked the pricing at Amazon Germany, for U.S. residents it is:

12.56 Euro for the DVD (after removing VAT)
plus
14.00 Euro shipping

Final cost: 26.56 Euro, or about 35.66 U.S. (per today's exchange rate)
Old 02-10-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Germany/France's animated DRAGON HUNTERS DVD Mini Review

Originally Posted by flixtime
First BATHORY and now this...you're certainly turning up some interesting stuff.
thanks, there is nothing better than discovering a new movie and then realizing the DVD already exists already. That's what happened when Japan/Poland's AVALON came out. I didn't even own a DVD player back then in 2001 until I saw a trailer for that movie. And then I ordered the DVD right away. I watched it on my computer until buying a multi-region dvd player.

I'll make a thread about this actually...