Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fan cuts you would like to make

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I've never made a fan cut of a film but i know there are some out there that do make them for fun.

One movie that I would like making an edit of would be The Curious case of Benjamin Button.
Spoiler:
The scenes in the hospital where Buttons daughter reads his Journal would get edited down to only two; the beginning and ending

I think it would make the film flow a lot smoother with those edits.

What movie or movies would you like to make a Fan Cut of and why?
Old 02-04-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Fan cuts you would like to make

My friends and I once put Pulp Fiction into chronological order (there was some heated, Taco Bell fueled debate about the order of scenes, as I recall). Anyway, it sucked, as should be expected.

Part of the beauty of most films IS the editing.
Old 02-04-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Probably get hell for it but oh well, 2001. I quite frankly found a lot of the space ballet unengaging, which is a shame, because it really is a brilliant, engaging movie outside of that.
Old 02-04-09, 04:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'd like to cut any and all fans of Uwe Boll! I'll cut 'em good!!!
Old 02-04-09, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done fan cuts of films before, mostly for fun like you say. I'm actually working on a re-edit of Alien Resurrection right now. Most of the changes I'm doing are simply removing all of the jokes and cutesy one-liners scattered throughout the movie (ie. "Who do I have to fuck to get off this ship?"). I'm also cutting down a lot of the shots of the Newborn alien at the end. You can still kinda see what it looks like but there will no longer be any long shots that reveal the whole body which is much more how Ridley Scott filmed the xenomorph in the first film. Just quick glances, the long shots I'm simply replacing with reaction footage from Ripley, Call, etc. plus audio from the newborn. I'm also inserting the alternate ending(part of which can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM5d1...eature=related ). Should all be finished in about a week.
Old 02-04-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhg83

One movie that I would like making an edit of would be The Curious case of Benjamin Button.
Spoiler:
The scenes in the hospital where Buttons daughter reads his Journal would get edited down to only two; the beginning and ending

I didn't like Button, but I absolutely agree with taking those scenes out. Just the thought of them makes me shudder...

I did a Return of the Jedi edit with less Ewok action & trimming bad dialoge, as well as Han Solo's Boba Fett? Boba Fett? Loop... I'd like to cut an hour out of the Postman.
Old 02-04-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Spoiler:

I can definitely get behind that edit.
Old 02-04-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

In SW:TPM, I'd cut the sequence with Amidala taking back her throne and Anakin destroying the Control Station so that I could have one fluid scene with Obi-Wan & Qui-gon fighting Maul.

Same with SW:RotS, I'd make cuts to secure a fluid lightsaber fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Oh, and to leave all shots including Jar Jar on the cutting room floor.
Old 02-04-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Peter Jackson's King Kong.

I think it would be a much better, tighter film with about 30 min shaved off, mostly at the beginning and some of the useless subplots removed.
Old 02-04-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As I've said about thirty times before here, one can easily combine The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions to make a (much better paced) three hour movie.
Old 02-04-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd love it if Warner Bros. would consolidate the Lester and Donner cuts of Superman II. Something that retained the opening and dramatic tone of Donner's version, but retained a few scenes, including Lois' plunge into the water, and the original ending or Lester's version. Not to mention, cutting out the ridiculous "turning back time part 2" ending.
Old 02-04-09, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
As I've said about thirty times before here, one can easily combine The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions to make a (much better paced) three hour movie.
It wouldn't even need to be 3 hours.
Old 02-04-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
I'd love it if Warner Bros. would consolidate the Lester and Donner cuts of Superman II. Something that retained the opening and dramatic tone of Donner's version, but retained a few scenes, including Lois' plunge into the water, and the original ending or Lester's version. Not to mention, cutting out the ridiculous "turning back time part 2" ending.
What I had to realize was that "Turning Back Time 2" was supposed to be "TBT 1" and that "TBT 1" wasn't supposed to happen unitl the end of #2.
Old 02-05-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Babel while I found the concept and the subject interesting, the pacing of that movie just killed it for me. Once a scene gets the point across, move on. Unless it's showing some breathtaking landscape or something, cut to the next scene. Everything reminded me of Star Trek 1 where they view the new Enterprise for what seems like an eternity. They show a helicopter flying. Unless the helicopter is going to do something, or has some scenery to show, a few seconds gets the point across. Ramping it up to a minute doesn't help the understanding . It's a fucking helicopter. I get it OK? They easily could have trimmed 20 seconds from every little vignette and not lost any of the meaning.
Old 02-05-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Anytime Anakin says "Master" or "M'lady" in AOTC. I've paid attention and just about every time he says it, it's completely unnecessary and contributes to his overall whiny tone throughout that movie.

I think all three of those movies could have stood someone with a red pen and free rein on the script. Same basic stories, but with some much needed edits I think they really would have had something.
Old 02-05-09, 10:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Cuts I'd make to Magnolia. These will likely piss a lot of you off, so I'll spoiler it for the sensitive PTA fans.:

Spoiler:
  • I'd cut the whole "coincidences" introduction. It's a very cool sequence, but it ultimately has nothing to do with the rest of the film.
  • I'd cut the sub-plot with the kid on the game show. It never worked for me.
  • I'd cut the Philip Baker Hall sub-plot. It's not bad, but one "estranged child reconciles with dying father" plot point is enough.
  • I'd cut the "Wise Up" sequence. Love the song, but that scene is self-indulgent claptrap.
Old 02-05-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I know a lot of people's first instinct for Return of the Jedi is to cut the Ewok stuff, but there's other scenes that could be added that would make the idea of the Ewok's more palatable. When Threepio is telling the Ewoks the "story so far", in the novel they initially reject the Rebels. They basically say "yeah, it's sad, what are you going to do?". So Han, Luke and Leia all give reasons why the Ewoks should help, with Leia's argument eventually winning them over. I don't know if these were filmed, but I read the novel dozens of times in my youth and the movie always felt lacking in this regard.

Other scenes that I think were filmed that would help are scenes of General Madine (the grey, bearded human in the initial briefing scene) on one of the capital ships directing the fighters, and also more footage of the Rebel ground troops on Endor fighting against the stormtroopers. This last bit would help hammer home the point that the Ewoks were a distraction strategy, and didn't single-handedly defeat an "entire legion" of the Emperor's best troops.

Also, Obi-wan on Degobah talking more about Anakin. Not sure how much would fit with the prequels now, but some of it would be nice.

Also, I'd love an edit of The Princess Bride without the present day scenes. Some of the voiceover narration could stay, but the actual scenes of Fred Savage and his grandfather really take you out of the story.
Old 02-05-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old Yeller
Spoiler:
He gets better at the end!

The Shawshank Redemption
Spoiler:
The movie ends with Red on the bus. No spoonfed beach walk.
Old 02-05-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have much more resigned cuts that I'd like to make. I liked Live Free or Die Hard, and I like additional swearing and violence, but I wasn't satisfied with the Unrated version. There's a perfect compromise somewhere between the rated and Unrated versions that I'd like to see.

I also think Bad Boys II is one of the most gloriously, awfully over-the-top action movies of all time, but it's equally indulgent in its 147m runtime. If that could be scaled back to about 127m -- something I think is wholly possible -- it'd be even gloriouserly, awfullyer, over-the-topper.
Old 02-05-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

You guys should check out fanedit.org

That site is fantastic when it comes to fan edits and the explanation of why cut were made. Although, recently, you cannot download the edits anymore, but there are some really good ones (and editors) there.

Totally worth your time.
Old 02-05-09, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal

I think it would be a much better, tighter film with about 30 min shaved off, mostly at the beginning and some of the useless subplots removed.
it was but down it'd be a much more entertaining film....but damn it's long.
Old 02-05-09, 02:45 PM

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3.

There's a great 3-hour epic dying to get out of those two films.
Old 02-05-09, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've said this before:

"Back to the Future 2" the movie should end right after the Delorean is struck by lightning and Marty is trying to call him on the walkie-talkie.

No car pulling up, no "1885 letter", AND NO SCENES FROM THE THIRD MOVIE!
Old 02-05-09, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've never made a fan cut of a film but i know there are some out there that do make them for fun.

Spoiler:

What movie or movies would you like to make a Fan Cut of and why?
I would cut out the old woman Cate Blanchette speeches. I could barely hear them and they made no sense. That may have cut out 15 minutes of an overly long running time.
Old 02-06-09, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
My friends and I once put Pulp Fiction into chronological order (there was some heated, Taco Bell fueled debate about the order of scenes, as I recall). Anyway, it sucked, as should be expected.

Part of the beauty of most films IS the editing.
Agreed. When I saw Memento in chronological order it wasn't nearly as engaging.

Originally Posted by RichC2
Probably get hell for it but oh well, 2001. I quite frankly found a lot of the space ballet unengaging, which is a shame, because it really is a brilliant, engaging movie outside of that.
Agreed. It's a great movie, it's just so damn long that I can't imagine watching it again for a very long time.

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal

Exactly. Although I would cut close to an hour off of it. The length of the movie made it terrible. Cut an hour and it'll just be more fun.

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I've said this before:

"Back to the Future 2" the movie should end right after the Delorean is struck by lightning and Marty is trying to call him on the walkie-talkie.

No car pulling up, no "1885 letter", AND NO SCENES FROM THE THIRD MOVIE!
I like this but I think when the movie was released it was a good way to serve as a teaser for Part III.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.