Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Chickenfoot anyone?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Chickenfoot anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Chickenfoot anyone?

Searched and only found a couple of passing mentions of this in other threads but....

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony, Joe Satriani and Chad Smith. I didn't know Satch was involved. Sounds like it has the potential to be really good.

Ex-Van Haleners Sammy Hagar and bassist Michael Anthony will team up with guitar master Joe Satriani and Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith to form a supergroup -- tentatively titled Chickenfoot. The four played together last February in Las Vegas and have since hit the studio under producer/engineer Andy Johns to record tracks for an upcoming album.

"The style is high-energy, kick-ass rock n' roll," says Satriani. "We all bring to the table some unusual influences and then we also share a lot of roots. We'll draw from funk, blues and experimental. We know what we want to get out of it. We want passages in songs that develop and we want everyone's personality to be able to come out."

"I just got back last Wed. from a week and a half of recording with Sam, Joe, and Chad, and all I can say is....F_K, the shit is ROCKIN!!!! NOBODY will be disappointed!" Anthony said of Chickenfoot on his blog.

They hope to finish recording by January, come up with a name less retarded than Chickenfoot, and release an album in April and follow it up with a tour.
Old 02-04-09, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Chickenfoot anyone?

Now THIS has some potential!
Old 02-05-09, 06:17 PM

Sorry but Hagar is a dolt. His songs are always terrible. And Chickenfoot is a terrible name for a band.
Old 02-05-09, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lastyear
Sorry but Hagar is a dolt. His songs are always terrible.
sounds like you have never stood on top of the world!
for the record the only VH songs i like are with sammy. even with that i know this will suck.
Old 02-05-09, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a long time Satch fan as well as the Chilis. I almost would rather have heard a power trio instrumental CD with only Anthony, Smith, and Satriani. I'll still give this a shot, but I can only take Hagar in small doses.
Old 02-10-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I can't wait for this. I'm not a fan of Hagar, but I don't hate him. I thought Poundcake was one of Van Halen's best songs. It'll be well worth $10 just to hear how this comes together.
Old 02-10-09, 11:21 AM

I've been following this band ever since I heard them mentioned on one of the Sirius stations back in January.

The band is supposedly built for Chad Smith to be able to do the kind of drumming that he's been wanting.

Wikipedia says album in April, but you know how their information is.
Old 03-20-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got to see their show this week, and I thought they were just awesome. Smith and Satriani were the stars of the show, and I like Sammy a lot. I'm very impressed, and very pumped for the album. It's nothing too deep or groundbreaking, just a lot of fun hard rock.
Old 03-20-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

just visited the site. whoever came up with that needs a swift kick in the beanbag.
Old 03-20-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
I got to see their show this week, and I thought they were just awesome. Smith and Satriani were the stars of the show, and I like Sammy a lot. I'm very impressed, and very pumped for the album. It's nothing too deep or groundbreaking, just a lot of fun hard rock.
Do tell! Was this some sort of promo or invitation-only gig?
Old 03-20-09, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a show for attendees at a retailer event. They're always really cool enough to invite the vendors to the entertainment, too, so I got to go.
Old 03-24-09, 04:27 PM

Two songs (tracks 2 and 7) from the upcoming release available for streaming on their website!!
Old 03-24-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Two songs (tracks 2 and 7) from the upcoming release available for streaming on their website!!
Gotta say this sounds pretty good. Nothing innovative, but pretty solid.
Old 05-21-09, 02:16 PM

Review of the CD:

May 16th, 2009
by Bruce Owens

What the hell is Chickenfoot you may ask? This is Heavy Metal’s new super group with Sammy Hagar (Montrose, Van Halen) on vocals, Joe Satriani on guitar, Michael Anthony (Van Halen) on bass and Chad Smith (The Red Hot Chili Peppers) on drums.

Sounds like really good Van Halen but with great drumming and a guitarist that didn’t stop innovating 20 years ago.

Joe Satriani sounds so much better with a full band. I have only heard a sampling but this is the best stuff I have heard in a long time, these guys are rocking.

One track that blows me away is “Down The Drain”. This is a classic funky groove orientated heavy metal tune with a huge back beat. Micheal Antony’s bass lends that VH tone and you suddenly realize how important he is to that VH sound, sorry Wolfgang. Joe Satriani spanks the shit out of the arraignment with some burning lead guitar.

“Soap On A Rope” is another VH sounding tune. Classic Hager vocals and a huge guitar sound from JS. One thing that stands out is these guy are playing with the meters and the timing. Maybe to entertain themselves maybe to entertain us but there is some funky stuff going on. Once again JS fries the fretboard and singes your ears with another killer solo.

Other stand outs on this album are “Oh Yeah” and power ballad “Learning To Fall” which right when you think you are listening to a standard slow jam Chickenfoot mix it up and add some cool textures.

If there is one song that is blowing me away it is “Get It Up” this song is a departure from anything any of these guys have done with their former bands. I am thinking this is what Chickenfoot sounds like.

The bass and the drums are pounding and Micheal Anthony has a lot more room than he ever did with VH. Hagar’s vocals are strong as ever, this guy has never missed a beat anyway. Once again JS hits us with a sonic torrent of notes with one of the coolest solos I have heard in a long time.

Van Halen is back! Surprisingly Eddie and Alex are not in the band anymore. This is hands down better than anything Van Halen has produced in the past 20 years. Fresh imaginative and energetic, this is a must have for fans of any of these musicians or their former bands.

Now if we could only get Axl Rose to leave Guns & Roses….
Old 05-21-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I missed this thread before but this sounds promising. I like Hagar, and I like the name Chickenfoot. This sounds a lot better than Sammy's solo efforts.

Van Halen is back! Surprisingly Eddie and Alex are not in the band anymore.
Old 05-22-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They are performing on "The Tonight Show" .

Edit: I thought it was tonight, but it is not.

Last edited by parrotheads4; 05-22-09 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-22-09, 11:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This has me very curious.
Old 05-23-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I heard those two initial release songs. Terrible. Dopey Hagar lyrics and they made Satriani sound feeble. PASS.
Old 05-25-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If anyone is interested you can check out Chickenfoot on Facebook. They are doing a '12 days of 'the Foot' where they post a video of the band talking about the origins of each song. Today's song was Avenida Revolution.

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
I heard those two initial release songs. Terrible. Dopey Hagar lyrics and they made Satriani sound feeble. PASS.
Really? I think it's a blast. I've probably listened to those three songs a half dozen times each already. Just straight up fun rock 'n roll, which we don't see too often anymore.
Old 06-04-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My copy arrived from Amazon today. I like the heat sensative cover. I've listened though it once so far. I like it. I like this kind of music. Good old rock 'n roll.

They are on the "Tonight Show" Friday.
Old 06-05-09, 02:09 AM

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

MP3 album is only $ on Amazon...

Chickenfoot

In case you don't check the Amazon deals thread...and if you don't, what the hell is wrong with you?
Old 06-05-09, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Awesome Dave, thanks. I was going to head to BB tonight for it, $4 is hard to beat. I'd like the heat sensitive artwork but I can't pass this up.
Old 06-05-09, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chickenfoot?

Sounds like a great band. Van Hagar with a side of Satch. Sounds like a winner to me in a very odd sounding way. I am definately going to pick this up...some day. Where is it the cheapest?
Old 06-05-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
Where is it the cheapest?
Ummm... read the two posts above yours?
Old 06-05-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Whatever man..

Chickenfoot i'm in, good times, great music haven't seen or heard this in a while in music, will pick my cd up on 6/9 @ best buy for $9.99.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.