Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fox Friday Nights at the Grindhouse! New Terminator/Dollhouse ad

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-04-09, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doooo-blay your pleasure on Friday nights with the D-Girls, Cameron and Echo!

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nF24DwIh5uc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nF24DwIh5uc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

I love the level of camp Fox has thrown out here.
Old 02-04-09, 10:07 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Fox Friday Nights at the Grindhouse! New Terminator/Dollhouse ad

Wow...Fox did something right.

How long before they can Dollhouse? Bets? 3 weeks?
Old 02-04-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD

How long before they can Dollhouse? Bets? 3 weeks?
4 weeks. It seems similar to that Christian Slater show that just got axed. But then again, maybe young T&A will help it stay afloat...

Cute ad BTW.
Old 02-04-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to early reports Fox is aware that Dollhouse might take some time to catch on and I hear they're actually going to give it a fair shake - so I don't think it'll get canned too soon - it may not get a season 2 pickup in May, but it sounds like they might have learned from some of their mistakes (Firefly, Wonderfalls)...but who knows, this is Fox so they'll probably fuck it up - but I do like that ad...very well done and I can't wait for the 13th...
Old 02-04-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
According to early reports Fox is aware that Dollhouse might take some time to catch on and I hear they're actually going to give it a fair shake - so I don't think it'll get canned too soon - it may not get a season 2 pickup in May, but it sounds like they might have learned from some of their mistakes (Firefly, Wonderfalls)...but who knows, this is Fox so they'll probably fuck it up - but I do like that ad...very well done and I can't wait for the 13th...
It's one thing to say that you understand it will take awhile to find an audience, and another thing to actually show patience when the ratings are terrible and advertisers are complaining and your job is on the line.
Old 02-04-09, 11:27 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Love the promo's.
Old 02-04-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

great ad, but nothing last on Fridays on FOX
Old 02-04-09, 12:14 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
It's one thing to say that you understand it will take awhile to find an audience, and another thing to actually show patience when the ratings are terrible and advertisers are complaining and your job is on the line.
They can always replace it with repeats of House
Old 02-04-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
.... but it sounds like they might have learned from some of their mistakes (Firefly, Wonderfalls)...but who knows, this is Fox so they'll probably fuck it up - but I do like that ad...very well done and I can't wait for the 13th...
Just not buying the mistake thing. These were both very niche oriented shows that would have better been suited to basic cable or The CW. I own both series on DVD, and especially in the case of Wonderfalls, don't see how either could have succeeded. Blame Whedon for Firefly, he sold it to a mainstream market that competes for high numbers. Wait, you can't blame Jesus Whedon .... please stand up no need to genuflect at the mention of his name.
Old 02-04-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ayre
Just not buying the mistake thing. These were both very niche oriented shows that would have better been suited to basic cable or The CW. I own both series on DVD, and especially in the case of Wonderfalls, don't see how either could have succeeded. Blame Whedon for Firefly, he sold it to a mainstream market that competes for high numbers. Wait, you can't blame Jesus Whedon .... please stand up no need to genuflect at the mention of his name.
Umm.... What isn't a niche show? I think there are now more actors portraying forensic scientists then actual forensic scientists out there in the field. Wonderfalls came out the same time as Joan of Arcadia and Dead Like me (as often happens when one studio gets an idea several others mimic it) and both survived for a second season.

Consider the fact that more people actually own firefly than watched it on TV it tells you something. A show can not survive on TV by word of mouth, on DVD it can. If FOX actually puts in the ads in the right market, between the right shows, in the hour block that it'd survive, commits to showing the show in it's correct order, and not in a spot where it'd get preempted by sports it has been given a fair shake.

All of that is FOXs fault, not the fault of Joss. Both of the shows you mentioned got high rating from both critics and target groups so that means the creators of those shows did their part correctly.
Old 02-04-09, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FOX killed Firefly by not even giving it a proper chance as shown by airing the show out of order.

I love Whedon, I do, but after the Firefly debacle, I'll probably just wait to watch Dollhouse on DVD before I'm disappointed by FOX again.
Old 02-04-09, 07:27 PM
Banned

When I saw this I figured it didn't bode well for either show. Isn't friday and saturday nights where they send shows to die?
Old 02-04-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Everyone is saying what a shitty timeslot Friday's are, but where else would you put it? There is simply no other timeslot available. FOX only has 2 hours of weekday programming available and Monday-Thursday's are already full. Saturday is Cops and AMW and Sunday's is the cartoon day.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-04-09 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-05-09, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Both of the shows you mentioned got high rating from both critics and target groups so that means the creators of those shows did their part correctly.
I didn't like the show when it aired because of the cowboy theme, so I didn't watch. Critics don't pay the bills. If it had high ratings in the target demo it would still be on the air. You can't have it both ways, either the ratings were high enough to compete with other available programming or not.

I bought it because everyone raved about it and I wondered what I was missing. It isn't bad, but there is no way it is a marketable to a wide enough audience to pull in the 8-10 million needed to survive and offset production costs. Sorry, it was WB/USA/SciFi material.

Niche Market
Old 02-05-09, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back.
The frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?"
The scorpion says, "I won't sting you. If I do, I will drown."
The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog.
The dying frog gasps "Why?" The drowning scorpion answers "It's my nature."
Old 02-05-09, 04:52 PM

Sorry, it was WB/USA/SciFi material.
USA and SciFi both have some really good, original shows on them. BSG, The 4400, Burn Notice, Psych, just to name a few. So your argument is kind of invalid. Plus, I imagine that if one of those three networks had gotten it, we'd still be seeing it weekly. Unlike Fox, those 3 at least give a show a chance and show the episodes in order and give their shows decent marketing. Fox typically doesn't advertise for shows unless they're cheap reality shows or shows that somehow made it through the gauntlet of not getting press the first season. Like House for instance.

Last edited by Gilgamesh1082; 02-05-09 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-05-09, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Fox has a tradition of scrapping Friday night sci-fi shows ..... I'm still pissed off about losing THE VISITOR and VR5.
Old 02-05-09, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh1082
USA and SciFi both have some really good, original shows on them. BSG, The 4400, Burn Notice, Psych, just to name a few. So you're argument is kind of invalid. Plus, I imagine that if one of those three networks had gotten it, we'd still be seeing it weekly. Unlike Fox, those 3 at least give a show a chance and show the episodes in order and give their shows decent marketing. Fox typically doesn't advertise for shows unless they're cheap reality shows or shows that somehow made it through the gauntlet of not getting press the first season. Like House for instance.
I actually think he’s right. A show’s survival depends on Network expectations. Burn Notice is a cable show while Bionic Woman, for example, was a Network show.

Burn Notice' lights up USA:
The midseason return of “Burn Notice " was seen by 5.1 million viewers and drew in a 1.9 adults 18-49 ratings. The network is pretty ecstatic about this performance.

The $6 Million Dud:
Bionic Woman’s Ratings Plunge- it appears nothing can save NBC's "Bionic Woman" which plummeted to an all-time low of 6.44 million.

Notice the “all time low” for the Network show is higher than the 5.1 mill that made USA cable network ecstatic - and where is Bionic Woman today?
Old 02-05-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by marty888
Fox has a tradition of scrapping Friday night sci-fi shows ..... I'm still pissed off about losing THE VISITOR and VR5.
They canned VR5? Shit, NO!!! Sydney!!!
Old 02-05-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll stand by my points. Any show outside a sitcom is a niche. You can't say Lost isn't because how many people are actually stuck on a supernatural island. Same with just about any other drama you can think of. Target groups loved the show "when" they saw it. If FOX does not promote the show to that audience then it's the network's fault.

Whedon himself could not walk into people's living room and turn on their sets.
Old 02-05-09, 06:35 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by marty888
...and I, Brimstone & Harsh Realm.

Saw the promo during this week's episode of Fringe -- love it.
Old 02-05-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
I'll stand by my points. Any show outside a sitcom is a niche. You can't say Lost isn't because how many people are actually stuck on a supernatural island. Same with just about any other drama you can think of. Target groups loved the show "when" they saw it. If FOX does not promote the show to that audience then it's the network's fault.

Whedon himself could not walk into people's living room and turn on their sets.
I think you're painting "the niche show" with too broad a brush.

Most people are not cops, lawyers, or doctors --but shows about cops, lawyers and doctors fall into well established genre categories.
Those genre's dominate mainstream TV entertainment because premises of the shows [police solving crimes, doctors saving lives] are instantly understandable to any viewer.

In my opinion, FOX's guilt with regard to the handling of Firefly is all about their refusal to show the pilot movie.

All the way back to Twin Peaks, and more recently with true niche shows like Lost, Dark Angel, Alias, and even 24 -- networks have premiered the series with a pilot movie and promoted that movie as an event.

Sci-fi TV show are considered cult fare, but sci-fi movies are regularly the highest grossing titles of the year.

Convince people to tune in one night to watch a movie that will blow their minds, and hope that they like the characters enough to keep tuning into the show.
By violating such a simple rule, FOX never gave Firefly a chance .
Old 02-06-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
FOX killed Firefly by not even giving it a proper chance as shown by airing the show out of order.

I love Whedon, I do, but after the Firefly debacle, I'll probably just wait to watch Dollhouse on DVD before I'm disappointed by FOX again.
What a BRILLIANT idea, Brainiac!!!!! Let's get EVERYONE to do that so the show DEFINITELY gets cancelled!!!!!
Old 02-06-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh1082
USA and SciFi both have some really good, original shows on them. BSG, The 4400, Burn Notice, Psych, just to name a few. So your argument is kind of invalid.
That actually is my point. USA and SciFi are better suited to shows that won't likely appeal to large audiences. That doesn't mean that they are bad, but usually are good shows that lack mass appeal.

Lost tricked the public. A very clever premise about a plane that crashes on an island. It was advertised as an adventure drama and not SciFi. One can't help but notice the decline in viewership as SciFi was added, although it wouldn't be completely fair to blame SciFi.

SciFi is a hard sell. The TV graveyard is full of them. In one season we had Invasion, Surface and Threshold all fail. Fans argued that the networks never gave Invasion a chance and the time slot killed it. BAH! It simply wasn't going to appeal to a large enough audience to counter production costs and opportunity costs.

Whedon shows are campy and that's what I guess the fans like. I don't. Angel was considered more serious than Buffy, yet it had silly makeup and humor. Serious drama has to remain serious to attain believability. I love immersion and if you pull me out with campy humor and goofy costumes, I am gone.

Yes, there are Dramedies that are successful, but they succeed without the camp and are not saddled with the pitfalls of Scifi.

Sorry, for the long rant.

I hope Dollhouse is a success, I will be watching. I just don't buy into the Whedon style or the shows premise as a mass appeal product that can sustain double digit million viewers. Alas, there is always fox to blame.

Last edited by Ayre; 02-06-09 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-06-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
What a BRILLIANT idea, Brainiac!!!!! Let's get EVERYONE to do that so the show DEFINITELY gets cancelled!!!!!
I agree I hate this type of philosophy to TV viewing: I won't support the show until it becomes a hit. I'll wait for the DVD release, then watch season 2.

Keep in mind, if you watch the show, like it, go on forums like this and talk about it, word of mouth spreads and people who actually have a Nielsen box will hear about it and probably start watching. Choosing not to support a new show because you think the network will fuck you over is assinine. Watching TV is all about taking risks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.