Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

So, does anyone know about the quality differences in the TAKEN dvds (Liam Neeson)?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

So, does anyone know about the quality differences in the TAKEN dvds (Liam Neeson)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to figure out which DVD to buy of Liam Neeson's TAKEN:

The French version, the UK version, the Korean version, or the Australian version???

Does anyone know about the quality of these titles? Which is better? Do any of them have Forced subtitles?

I'm certainly not going to wait for the USA Region 1 release now that I hear it's going to be PG-13. I can't believe USA actually cut the movie so that they can do that PG-13 and Unrated DVD bullshit...I watched this movie uncut, and it wasn't PG-13!
Old 01-30-09, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: So, does anyone know about the quality differences in the TAKEN dvds (Liam Neeson

The French release has the most extras but no English subtitles for the French material.
The Korean disc has DTS but I believe no extras
The UK disc has bonus material and subtitles
AUstralian one isn't out yet
Old 01-30-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: So, does anyone know about the quality differences in the TAKEN dvds (Liam Neeson

Originally Posted by manicsounds
The French release has the most extras but no English subtitles for the French material.
The Korean disc has DTS but I believe no extras
The UK disc has bonus material and subtitles
AUstralian one isn't out yet
Do you think that the French or Korean DVD editions have forced subtitles?

I watched the movie already, but I forgot if there were French dialogue scenes in which they were English subtitled. If that's the case, then it may be best to purchase the UK or Australian DVD?
Old 01-30-09, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to imdb.com an alternate torture scene was used in the UK cinema but the DVD has a banner that says Extended Harder Cut. The Korean disc probably won't have forced subs but may not have English subs. I haven't seen it yet. Are there any spoken languages besides English I will need to see subs for? I think I'll wait to find out if the UK BD is region free and purchase that. The French BD has forced French subs when playing English audio.

Last edited by Subgeniusguy; 01-30-09 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-14-09, 11:30 PM

The UK release only has English subs for the Entire film not harburned subs just for the French parts as in the theatrical release.

That leaves the Australian edition which isn't out yet.
Old 02-15-09, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by spizz
That leaves the Australian edition which isn't out yet.
The US Blu-ray/DVD releases are set to be released in April. Should be made public shortly.

Pro-B
Old 02-15-09, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The french scenes aren't that important that need to be subtitles. For example:

"get me a car"
"Where is he?"
"sleep well children"
Old 02-15-09, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
The US Blu-ray/DVD releases are set to be released in April. Should be made public shortly.

Pro-B
As long as it is not cut to be PG-13
Old 02-17-09, 02:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work at a video store in NZ and we have the Taken dvd (we still do rental windows here quite often). Quality was fantastic, and yes it had subtitles for the French parts. I can't remember what specific features the disc had, if there were any I didn't watch them. Definitely uncut also.
Old 02-17-09, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a UK Blu Ray. As some have reported, no english subtitles for the french speaking parts (as Toddly6666 apptly pointed out)...there really aren't needed. An interesting column written by our local film critic on the reason for the US cut vs the UK "harder" video cut.

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainm...y/1028132.html