Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Half.com--New buyer claims item damaged but...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

OK, I've been on ebay/half.com for over TEN YEARS. (Seriously--since 10/98.) Over those ten years, I have never had a negative or even a neutral. I have 100% positive feedback. I have bought and I have sold. No real problems to speak of.

A few days ago I sold my copy of Fallout 3. I played it a little, but just couldn't get into it. It was in pristine condition--not a scratch on the disc, case/manual in perfect condition. I sold it for $40--the cheapest price on half.com at the time. The buyer had a feedback of 1. I shipped it the same day, first class (instead of media) at no extra charge. I wrapped it well in a padded envelope.

Today the buyer writes me and says, "The game disc was scratched all over, there was a chunk taken out of the back of the box, the condition said "Like New" and this is not it."

Is it possible the disc game lose in the box and got shaken around. I suppose. But a "chunk out of the back of the box"?? No way, and this feels like a scam to try get a refund...all, partial, not really sure.

So what should I do now? I don't want a negative, sellers can't leave feedback, but I don't want to pay off a scammer either. Thoughts??

Thanks.
Old 01-29-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Half.com--New buyer claims item damaged but...

Well, you can leave feedback-- it just has to be positive.

Also, you think you did him a favor shipping first class? As long as I don't use excessive packaging, first class ends up being cheaper than media mail!

I'd say that you could request a picture that details the condition of the game, but he could simply damage the game and box and then take the pic! I agree with you that it sounds suspicious with the chunk being taken out of the box. I generally don't like padded envelopes, although I haven't had too many negative experiences with them.

How much feedback do you have?
Old 01-29-09, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^I don't know if he'd have the balls to damage the game he just paid $40, since there's no guarantee he'd get his money back.

I would chalk it up to him bluffing man.
Old 01-29-09, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the input. I do think 1st class is a favor because (1) it's faster and (2) they usually have to pay more. I use it because people like their stuff fast and because I like the postage machines (vs. the long lines).

If you don't like padded envelopes for DVDs/games, what do you use? I have always used them w/out incident (I guess there was one guy who said his CD case cracked).

My feedback is 267--not crazy high but still should be enough to show that in over 10 years I've never shipped something inaccurately described. I like the idea of "take a picture and email it to me and I'll see what I think." Can't really think of anything else.

Here is what I wrote back: "Sorry to hear that. The game was in pristine condition when I shipped it, because I only had it 2 weeks and played it for a total of 7 hours. I've been on ebay/half for over 10 years and have never had a complaint--100% positive feedback the entire time--but I'm sorry something must've happened in transit (though it was packed in the padded envelope, I guess the disc could have come loose and gotten shaken around--only possible explanation, though I have no idea how a "big chunk" could be taken out of the case). I see you only have a feedback of 1 so you must be new, which is fine. How would you like to resolve the matter?"
Old 01-29-09, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I could tell you all kinds of things about what you should be able to do, but ultimately, eBay's new policies are anti-seller. Really, the only burden of evidence asked of you to provide is proof of shipment within a reasonable time, and that it went to an approved address. After that, it's entirely at the discretion of eBay. In the old days, you could at least backtrack the e-mail address on file (sometimes) and see if the ID has been switched. I caught a couple of bad eBayers that way, but now it's all restricted and you have no access to that information. Best of luck, and let us know how it pans out.
Old 01-29-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 240 Posts

Could you request the item be returned if he wants a refund? You can inspect the damage yourself and by forcing him to pay a few bucks to ship it back, it may as previously mentioned "call his bluff".
Old 01-29-09, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by uteotw
Thanks for the input. I do think 1st class is a favor because (1) it's faster and (2) they usually have to pay more. I use it because people like their stuff fast and because I like the postage machines (vs. the long lines).
That's a valid way of looking at it, but knowing how and when I employ it, I simply couldn't look at it as me doing them a favor. It certainly gives the buyer some added utility, but with no sacrifice on my part. As I previously stated, in situations where I employ 1st class, it is monetarily advantageous to me.

If you don't like padded envelopes for DVDs/games, what do you use? I have always used them w/out incident (I guess there was one guy who said his CD case cracked).
I recycle my packaging. While in the past months I haven't bought much, I usually buy a lot from Amazon or Columbia House. The small CH boxes are perfect, but the bigger ones work, too. Media Mail sets its cost by the pound, so I simply try and keep it under a pound. As long as it isn't a multi-disc set, it's easy. I secure the items well. If I shake a box and hear the item moving around, I won't send it out. Buyers have mentioned my packing when leaving feedback.

I have sent items in padded envelopes, but it's rare, and I do it with very low-value items.

My feedback is 267--not crazy high but still should be enough to show that in over 10 years I've never shipped something inaccurately described. I like the idea of "take a picture and email it to me and I'll see what I think." Can't really think of anything else.
I asked because I thought of my own situation. My feedback score is 71/100%. One negative would hurt me big time. I've only had 1 issue (and it was with a textbook) and I stood firm and risked the negative (ended up not getting any feedback).

Here is what I wrote back: "Sorry to hear that. The game was in pristine condition when I shipped it, because I only had it 2 weeks and played it for a total of 7 hours. I've been on ebay/half for over 10 years and have never had a complaint--100% positive feedback the entire time--but I'm sorry something must've happened in transit (though it was packed in the padded envelope, I guess the disc could have come loose and gotten shaken around--only possible explanation, though I have no idea how a "big chunk" could be taken out of the case). I see you only have a feedback of 1 so you must be new, which is fine. How would you like to resolve the matter?"
I'm not sure how I would have responded (and hopefully I won't ever have to find out). You certainly don't want to come out on the offensive-- and you didn't. Others have mentioned the potential bluff, and I think you have to call it. Make the buyer do a little work. You can try the picture idea. mcfly did bring up a decent point with that; the person might say he/she has no access to a camera.

You can ask to have the item sent back to you. You can then inspect the damage. If the buyer puts in a complaint with ebay/half, the game will change, however. I'd have to review the policies again and see what implications they have and how they could change the game. Most of us are aware that ebay is biased toward buyers now.

I do wish you luck and am curious to see how this turns out.
Old 01-30-09, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If he wants a refund tell him to return the game, its as simple as that.
Old 01-30-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Padded envelopes don't provide a lot of protection; they'll really only protect against damage from light handling. Most of the time, that's adequate protection.

It's possible that the "chunk taken out of the case" is the result of a heavy box being dropped on top of the game by the USPS during transit. A severe enough blow could be enough to punch a hole through the back of the case through a bubble mailer.

Though if I received an item in that condition, I would definitely mention that it was damaged during shipping. The mailer should show some signs of trauma at the area where the case was damaged.
Old 01-30-09, 04:57 AM

Received 224 Likes on 149 Posts

Even if the guy does offer to send the game back, I'd still be a little suspicious. It's possible that he bought a damaged copy from some store's used bargain bin for ultra cheap (or somebody gave it to him) and then he purchased your copy off Half.com so that he can send back the damaged copy to you for a refund.

I'd tell the guy that you put a secret mark somewhere on the cover and will need to verify that it's there before you can send him a refund.
Old 01-30-09, 05:56 AM

with the way half.com and ebay are run this days all he has to do is
file a claim and they will deduct the money from your account and have
him sent the item back..You can bank on that..As far as feedback you
can give him a positive with negative comments..
DG
Old 01-30-09, 07:50 AM

Received 4,649 Likes on 3,146 Posts

Ask him to take a picture. If he wants a refund he could just mess up the game himself and send the money back. And you wouldnt be able to resell it at all. He might just drop the whole thing if you press the matter. You gotta be firm and give a bit of an attitude like youre someone no to be messed with.
Old 01-30-09, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why the christ would you damage something you just received in order to get a refund and then send back the damaged item? Like, what the hell is the point? It's not like he's making money on the deal... unless he wants a refund and to keep the damaged goods
Old 01-30-09, 10:32 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by lordwow
Why the christ would you damage something you just received in order to get a refund and then send back the damaged item? Like, what the hell is the point? It's not like he's making money on the deal... unless he wants a refund and to keep the damaged goods
Bought the wrong game. Didn't like it. Buyers remorse. Lots of reasons.
Old 01-30-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Chances are that he is lying in order to try to get you or Half to give him some of his money back, and that he has zero intention of sending it back.
Old 01-30-09, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Chances are that he is lying in order to try to get you or Half to give him some of his money back, and that he has zero intention of sending it back.
Or maybe it was damaged....who knows???? only him for sure
DG
Old 01-30-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by disneyguy
Or maybe it was damaged....who knows???? only him for sure
DG
I said "chances are", not "it is for sure".
Old 01-30-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Correct answer.
Old 01-30-09, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
First, thanks for all the great input. I've never had a problem like this and I'm glad to be able to hop over from the Video Game/TV forum and get input.

It's not QUITE as simple as return the game, get a refund, but if you mean the only way he's going to get a refund, if at all, is by sending it back then I agree.

All I know is I bought the game new for $59.99, had it a couple of weeks, looked it over well--NO scratches at all--before I shipped it, and packed it in a padded envelope like I've done every other time.

The guy's feedback rating is 1. Sure, we were all 1 at some point, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything. On the flipside, if someone with 200 feedback, mostly positive, told me something arrived all damaged and I could see they didn't have a history of that type of claim, I'd feel much more comfortable.

In the end, only the buyer knows. My inclination is he's scamming for some type of partial refund w/out having to return the game, but that's just my gut obviously. I haven't received a reply yet, and I will definitely post when I do. Thanks again--
Old 01-30-09, 01:06 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

If he refuses to send back - tell him to break it in half and send you a picture showing so - that way you know its destroyed.
Old 01-30-09, 01:56 PM

Sounds like the guy is trying to scam you....
Old 01-30-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

First, thanks for all the great input. I've never had a problem like this and I'm glad to be able to hop over from the Video Game/TV forum and get input.

It's not QUITE as simple as return the game, get a refund, but if you mean the only way he's going to get a refund, if at all, is by sending it back then I agree.

All I know is I bought the game new for $59.99, had it a couple of weeks, looked it over well--NO scratches at all--before I shipped it, and packed it in a padded envelope like I've done every other time.

The guy's feedback rating is 1. Sure, we were all 1 at some point, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything. On the flipside, if someone with 200 feedback, mostly positive, told me something arrived all damaged and I could see they didn't have a history of that type of claim, I'd feel much more comfortable.

In the end, only the buyer knows. My inclination is he's scamming for some type of partial refund w/out having to return the game, but that's just my gut obviously. I haven't received a reply yet, and I will definitely post when I do. Thanks again--
You got my intentions, tell him if he wants a refund he's going to have to send it back. It may not fix everything, but at the very least he doesn't get a game AND his money back.
Old 01-30-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, it is quite that simple.

1. If the guy is trying to keep the game and get a refund/partial refund, your offer to return the game will be rejected and the problem will be solved (you will have successfully 'called his bluff').

2. If the guy is willing to return the product to get a refund, all he needs to do is file a claim and Half.com will force you to give him a refund. Might as well do it voluntarily and avoid getting negged.
Old 01-30-09, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Actually, it is quite that simple.

1. If the guy is trying to keep the game and get a refund/partial refund, your offer to return the game will be rejected and the problem will be solved (you will have successfully 'called his bluff').

2. If the guy is willing to return the product to get a refund, all he needs to do is file a claim and Half.com will force you to give him a refund. Might as well do it voluntarily and avoid getting negged.
All I meant was I wasn't quite ready to guarantee a full refund if he just sent it back. I didn't know half would force me, but we'll see. I sent them a preemptory email.

I haven't a word back from the buyer since my "send it back to me" email, so maybe your #1 option above will prove right. Thanks again.
Old 01-31-09, 08:10 PM

Here is the reply I got:
"Hi, when I opened up the game I flipped it over and it had many scratches on the back. You did correctly guess that the game cd was not holstered in its slot so that very well could have been the issue. I would like to return the item and get a refund. I tried playing the game but I only had to play for roughly an hour and a half until the game froze up on me. I have never had problems with my xbox working before so I can only conclude that it was a problem with the disc. Please get back to me on how I should go about sending the game back to you as soon as possible."

If I had to guess, he didn't like the game and wants his money back, but again that's only a guess. If he mails it back, seems like my only option is to give the refund and keep the now-scratched up game. COULD have happened in transit, and I'm not too jazzed about being out all the $$, but I guess I'll just have to chalk it up to part of doing business. Still sucks though...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.