Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Friday the 13th (1980)' (Blu-ray)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 01-28-09, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Adam Tyner's DVD review of Friday the 13th (1980) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=36072 and...
I was wondering if you think it's worth the upgrade to BR if you already own the DVD from the box set? Obviously an HD picture & soundtrack is better than SD. But on a film this old is the BR remaster that much better to justify a purchase?
Old 01-28-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Friday the 13th (1980)' (Blu-ray)

That's a tough one. I mean, I'm geeky enough that I know I'd buy it in high-def at some point (although I admittedly don't have a complete set on DVD), but I think the question would be if I'd get it now or if I'd wait a few months.

I think I could go either way. Part of me thinks I'd want to wait for this new remake to hit DVD/Blu-ray. Paramount will probably release more of the sequels around that time, there might be some kind of package deal with them, and the sticker price should have eased back a bit by then too.

Then again, the unrated cut -- even if there are only a few seconds' worth of differences -- would be pretty tough for me to pass up, and the movie really does look pretty good for what it is. There are also quite a few new extras compared to what's in the box set, although these admittedly are kind of hit or miss.

It's a solid package, and I don't think you'd regret picking it up now. It's more a matter if you'd rather wait to get more of the movies in one fell swoop in high-def or if you'd like to maybe spend a little more for instant gratification.