Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Circuit City exclusive HELLBOY II: Did ANYBODY find this???

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 01-26-09, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully this is the proper place in which to post this inquiry. Since this is the forum which hosts the weekly exclusives thread, I'm hoping this is the place to be.

Anyway, with the impending closure of Circuit City, I'm just trying to finally determine whether or not this title was EVER made available, as this matter has confounded me for some months. The CC exclusive version of the 3-disc "Hellboy II" was advertised to include a bonus "collectible interactive CD game card," pictured in their weekly circular and like the ones they issued with "The Incredible Hulk" and the recent "Mummy" film. I live near no less than six Circuit City locations (in northern NJ), and despite checking with each of them on or shortly after the release date in November, NONE of them ever received this title. They did receive the single disc version, though not the deluxe edition. I actually checked multiple times during that first week, and the reasons for its lack of availability varied from the expected to the absurd. One location had a sign posted, indicating that the first-week sale price would be honored when the title arrived that coming weekend, while an employee at another location told me that the truck delivering the "Hellboy II" discs had fallen into a sinkhole in Washington, DC! I will say that this title was scheduled to arrive the day after CC made its initial public announcement of their Ch. 11 bankruptcy and the first round of store closings, so that may have had something to do with it (although every employee I asked denied this possibility, of course).

As the weeks went by, I continued searching for this title in the various CC locations I frequent. After several dozen visits and nearly as many inquiries with less-than-informed salespeople, it became apparent to me that this item had likely never even shipped. Normally, I wouldn't care so much about about buying a specific title from a specific retailer, but I'm admittedly a sucker for these exclusives and I didn't want to give up before getting a definitive answer in the matter. Toward that end, I placed a phone call early this month to Circuit City corporate, attempting to once and for all determine if this exclusive ever existed in the first place... for if it was never even produced, my OCD would allow me to simply stop looking for it! Without getting into frustrating specifics of that unfortunate conversation, the only answer the service rep seemed capable of giving was "sir, the promotion is over, we don't have any to sell you" -- this despite the fact that I never even asked her such.

*sigh*

Okay, acknowledging that I probably could have been far more productive with the time I've wasted on this venture, I figured I'd finally turn to my fellow DVD enthusiasts to see if they had any better luck in this matter than I did. As indicated, the evidence I've encountered compels me to believe that this exclusive CD card thingy never even shipped, but I prefer to withhold final judgment until considering the experiences of others. If anybody would care to contribute their findings in this matter, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks for reading my admittedly longwinded inquiry and I hope everyone is able to find some good bargains at Circuit City in the weeks leading to its ultimate demise.

Ajay

PS: Curiously, does anybody think it's possible that this CD card might still reside with the label and/or manufacturer? With Circuit City not paying for some of its deliveries, that might have created something of an "orphan exclusive," with no retailer to distribute the card. If that's the case, then maybe... man, I am really grasping at straws now...

Last edited by Ajay C; 01-26-09 at 12:53 PM. Reason: fixed my fix of a typo
Old 01-27-09, 08:54 AM

Re: Circuit City exclusive HELLBOY II: Did ANYBODY find this???

Uh... anybody?
Old 01-27-09, 09:38 AM

Have you checked eBay to see if anybody selling it?
Old 01-27-09, 09:45 AM

Unfortunately, there website is gone. Did you ever see it on there and have a SKU number?
Old 01-27-09, 09:48 AM

Great deal..?!?!?
Old 01-27-09, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

AlexOi, never thought to check eBay, but I did just now and found nothing. A good idea for sure, I'll check there every now and again.

Phibes, I did check the Circuit City website, but not until after the bankruptcy announcement in November. By which point, they had pulled all DVDs and CDs from the site and were directing customers to purchase these items in their remaining brick and mortar locations. I found this out the hard way because I was having a similarly difficult time finding their CD card exclusive for "The Incredible Hulk" (which DID ship to retail on release date but never, ever showed up again in my area). As a last resort, I looked for the title on their website, added it to my cart... only to have it DISAPPEAR before I could checkout! They pulled all DVDs and CDs literally WHILE I was shopping! Within a few weeks, they did re-add both formats to the website (not before I ended up finding one beaten-up "Hulk" disc misfiled at a far-off Circuit City location), but no such luck on the Hellboy disc.

I will say that in a previous thread (linked below), someone reported that they HAD found a listing for the CC-exclusive edition of of "Hellboy II" on the CC website, shortly after the DVD titles returned last year. He then confirmed with a phone service rep that the title was to ship with the exclusive CD game card... only to have the item arrive WITHOUT said exclusive.

*again, sigh*

Believe me, I've only scratched the surface of my efforts to find this stupid thing, for fear of coming across as a complete lunatic (rather than merely a partial one).

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...-2008-a-2.html
Old 01-27-09, 11:14 AM

Alas, I think that you're not going to get this since CC has gone the way of the dodo.
Old 01-27-09, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ajay C
AlexOi, never thought to check eBay, but I did just now and found nothing. A good idea for sure, I'll check there every now and again.
In case you didn't know this: you can search completed auctions too, but you need to log in to your eBay account. It will allow you to search up to 30 days back.

Google search will also return old eBay auctions.
Old 01-27-09, 05:09 PM

Funk, I will indeed check out these feature, didn't know about them before. Thanks!

Phibes, I realize I won't be able to find this via Circuit City itself, especially since it seems like they may never even have received it. I suppose I'm just hoping to determine whether or not it ever even existed. The fact that some 700+ people have read this post but none of them have indicated that they've found it would appear to be further evidence of this conclusion, but I'm not closing the book on the matter just yet. If anybody was able to find this title/exclusive, please let me know! Or if you too were similarly unable to find it, feel free to chime in. Thanks again.
Old 01-27-09, 05:09 PM

double post

Last edited by Ajay C; 01-29-09 at 10:08 AM. Reason: double post
Old 01-28-09, 12:01 PM

I don't think Circuit City ever has that interactive game CD. I checked ebay under Completed items dated back on Nov, 08. I couldn't find any sold item that has the game CD. You know if Circuit City has that, definately people will sell that on ebay for money.
Also I check Half.com and didn't see anybody selling that either. I even search to sell if anybody has posted a picture of the game CD. None at all. Sorry, I tried my best.
Old 01-28-09, 12:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

FYI, the 700+ post views are not necessarily unique people. For example, it could be the same 7 people 100 times each.

I too received multiple answers when inquiring about this release/exclusive. If I had to guess, this is what happened. Circuit City's money problems including being behind with Sony (or whoever it was that produced this title). The exclusive was manufactured, packaged, and ready to go, but Sony held back the release because of the money issue. Circuit City never "caught up" in payments, so never received this title. The exclusives were removed (and probably destroyed) and the DVDs were put in their warehouse for general circulation to other clients.

Just a guess, I have no idea how this business works actually. Maybe there are DVD fairies that make them all, and storks deliver them on their hospital rounds for extra income.
Old 01-28-09, 01:09 PM

Maybe they'll show up at Big Lots.
Old 01-28-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
Just a guess, I have no idea how this business works actually. Maybe there are DVD fairies that make them all, and storks deliver them on their hospital rounds for extra income.
Lucky guess! That is EXACTLY what happens!!! They were getting delivered by geese as well, but they were whacked by an airplane in New York... Now the geese are scared to fly...
Old 01-28-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

This lack of Hellboy II Exclusive will turn out to be the cause of the downfall of Circuit City.
Old 01-29-09, 08:18 PM

AlexOi, thanks so much for doing all that legwork, I very much appreciate the effort! Definitely a good indication that there are none out there to be had.

Trevor, now that you've chimed in on not finding this exclusive, I'm feeling better about not finding it myself. I know you're similarly compelled to find these items, so if you couldn't find it, what hope would I have? As far as your theory regarding their likely fate, it would stand to reason that the exclusive CD cards may have been retained and removed by the manufacturer... but do you think they'd really go to the trouble of actually destroying them? It would seem to me that they'd try to make use of the time and money invested in their creation by distributing them elsewhere. Not that I have any delusions about acquiring one from the manufacturer, of course...

In any case, the fact that NO ONE has responded to say that they've found one of these exclusives (combined with all the evidence previously collected) tells me with relative certainty that this item was simply never made available to the public. In which case, I think I can finally put this matter behind me and sleep soundly tonight.

Man, I really need to start finding higher priorities in my life.
Old 01-29-09, 09:58 PM

Hey Ajay -

I found this:

http://dontforgetaboutmysite.com/blo...llboy2_ad1.png

which led me to this site:

http://goiactive.com/beta/play.html

Maybe you can contact them about how to get one (if they have them). Who knows, maybe they'll send you one just for the hell of it:

http://goiactive.com/beta/contact.html
Old 01-30-09, 08:27 AM

way to go sandman!, i love how we all work together to help each other
Old 01-30-09, 02:52 PM

We will see..I forward an email to them...
Old 01-30-09, 07:27 PM

Sweet mother of all that's holy!

Looks like you struck gold with that little discovery, sandman!

I can't imagine how you managed to dig up these links, but for this I am most grateful!

Now to take a stab at seeing if they have one to spare.

Thanks again for the amazing find!
Old 01-30-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live right around the corner from those guys.I might walk over and knock on their door to see if they have any samples.
Old 01-31-09, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Outstanding Sandman007!
Old 01-31-09, 05:41 PM

Nice find! I shot them an e-mail to see if any of the cards can be purchased.
Old 02-02-09, 03:57 PM

Okay, so I called the company today and spoke with someone who knew immediately what I was talking about. Unlike the clueless rep at Circuit City corporate in early January (who seemed unwilling to look into the matter and repeatedly cited company policy over providing me any actual answers), one of the first things this chap did was to confirm that this exclusive item never in fact hit retail. Huzzah, redemption! He then asked for my name and phone number and said that someone would be getting back to me in the next few days with further info. With a little luck, I'll finally be able to get one of these nifty little interactive cards, although the rep said he could not be sure that they actually have any to give. Regardless, if nothing else, I'm just happy to finally have an answer to this question after all this time!

Anyway, thank you again to sandman for his unbelievable find and thanks to everyone else for posting your findings and suggestions! Happy hunting, folks!
Old 02-02-09, 05:54 PM

Ajay, did you actually call or e-mail them? I e-mailed them but have gotten no reply as of today.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.