Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon's Deal of the Day (1/23) - Deadwood - Complete Series for $65

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

or

http://www.amazon.com/Deadwood-Compl...FY2T5KPYH69PTZ

Old 01-23-09, 02:11 AM

Re: Amazon's Deal of the Day (1/23) - Deadwood - Complete Series for $65

Damn it... damn it. DAMN IT! I told myself after Extras on Wednesday and The Wire on Thursday that I wouldn't get anymore HBO shows. But this Deadwood deal is too good to pass up.
Old 01-23-09, 02:23 AM

hmmm.... im very intrigued. any thoughts on this show?
Old 01-23-09, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

is this the cheapest its ever been? i just got the sopranos set from monday so i have a huge backlog of unwatched stuff and have the luxury of waiting.
Old 01-23-09, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Damn !!! This price is sick....Got a $100 Amazon GC to burn...but I am cheap. I know for sure, this will hit the $50 mark soon. Will wait. Got a ton of other stuff to watch. But this price....sssiiick
Old 01-23-09, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dollfins1
is this the cheapest its ever been? i just got the sopranos set from monday so i have a huge backlog of unwatched stuff and have the luxury of waiting.
I think so. It was 75 with the price matching of BB 50% off HBO sale.
Old 01-23-09, 07:09 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Damn man. This is practically what I paid for one season. Get it at that price. I really doubt youll see it for much cheaper.
Old 01-23-09, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never really got into this show, so I'll pass. But after getting Everybody Loves Raymond, The Sopranos, and The Wire's complete series, I needed a pass today.

Is this the end of the HBO deals for the gold box? If not, what other shows are possibilities? SATC?
Old 01-23-09, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in, thanks. Another HBO blind buy.
Old 01-23-09, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by vietduckboi
hmmm.... im very intrigued. any thoughts on this show?
I had coveted this show for some time and bought it (from Amazon ... for $75 IIRC) during the recent Best Buy HBO 50% off sale ... I have watched about half of the first season ... it's pretty good but not as good good as I was expecting ... there are some interesting characters but I am not on the edge of my seat wanting to see more ... like I was after watching the first few episodes of The Sopranos ... I love westerns ... it's a little on the dark side which doesn't bother me ... it's somewhat similar to an extended version of Eastwood's Unforgiven ... but not as good IMHO ... I suspect there are others here that will disagree with me ... the price is right (just over $20 per season).

Last edited by ChipHP; 01-23-09 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-23-09, 08:19 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChipHP
I had coveted this show for some time and bought it (from Amazon ... for $75 IIRC) during the recent Best Buy HBO 50% off sale ... I have watched about half of the first season ... it's pretty good but not as good good as I was expecting ... there are some interesting characters but I am not on the edge of my seat wanting to see more ... like I was after watching the first few episodes of The Sopranos ... I love westerns ... it's a little on the dark side which doesn't bother me ... it's somewhat similar to an extended version of Eastwood's Unforgiven ... but not as good IMHO ... I suspect there are others here that will disagree with me ... the price is right (just over $20 per season).
I'm not disagreeing... but def. stick with it.

If you make it through the whole 1st season and feel the same then it might not be your thing. But the 1st season just gets better as it goes.

Momentum builds and some pretty cool stuff happens, imo.
Old 01-23-09, 08:32 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I tried watching it. I had high hopes and thought I'd love it. Gave it several episodes, and they were ok, but nothing worth buying.

I later checkedout some episodes from later seasons and again it was just ok. But by then they had also began to talk in very odd, unnatural ways, like they were trying to do a Shakespearean western, which I just found annoying and stupid. Really detracted from the show.
Old 01-23-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This show just ended, right? I mean I thought I recalled people saying that the final season doesn't really wrap things up as a series finale like Six Feet Under.

Which BTW would be my guess for the final Gold Box if they have one tomorrow.
Old 01-23-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm......recently bought the individual seasons and really like the packaging they have....love the show- Must restrain myself!
Old 01-23-09, 08:55 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cinemaphile
I tried watching it. I had high hopes and thought I'd love it. Gave it several episodes, and they were ok, but nothing worth buying.

I later checkedout some episodes from later seasons and again it was just ok. But by then they had also began to talk in very odd, unnatural ways, like they were trying to do a Shakespearean western, which I just found annoying and stupid. Really detracted from the show.
That's too bad. The dialog was probably my favorite thing, along with the story lines that built slowly over time.

Deadwood is not the typical quick payoff kind of show. You really only appreciate it fully after watching an entire season in sequence. I realize that's just not how some people enjoy watching TV though. Some people need everything to wrap up in an episode or two before moving on to another story arc that wraps up again, etc...

I've also spoken to two people who were offended by the copious profanity but I didn't even notice it.

The main thing I liked about the way Deadwood's characters talk is that it allows for so many opportunities to communicate things within one conversation that other shows would need several episodes to get across. Sometimes I didn't even understand exactly what a character was saying... only picking up on the surface meaning, then later on realizing there had been a double or even triple meaning. Reminded me of James Joyce, but not as dense.

Slate wrote a great article about this.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Deadwood's characters utter long, serpentine sentences, in diction that—depending on the speaker—can ascend to courtly abstraction or sink to the ripest vulgarity. Newspaperman Merrick (Jeffrey Jones), distraught over Hickok's death and disgusted with McCall's acquittal, offers a sarcastic toast: "Should it ever be your misfortune, gentlemen, or mine, to need to kill a man, then let us toast, together, the possibility that our trials be held in this camp."

Given the show's treacherous context, the formality of much of the dialogue offers all kinds of room for strategic insincerity and corrosive irony. When a Deadwood character talks he's almost never saying just one thing. Indeed, one of the pleasures of Deadwood is observing what characters are doing when they speak, where they're heading, whom they're trying to fool and what secret messages they're transmitting. The camp's doctor (Brad Dourif, in perhaps the finest performance of his weird career) examines the corpse of a man who apparently fell to his death, but who was actually pushed off a ridge and then bludgeoned, as he lay groaning on the rocks, by one of Swearengen's men. When the man's widow (Molly Parker) presses the doc on whether he was murdered, the doc—who fears Swearengen like everyone else—responds with a perfect touch of overstatement: "Mrs. Garrett, I do not know how your husband's skull got caved in." Say no more, doc.

While this linguistic artfulness serves the necessary caution of Deadwood's inhabitants, it signals the sheer audacity of David Milch and his writers. They have staked themselves to a dramatic idea that, in its openly literary ambition, could have been laughable. Deadwood is a funny show alright, but that's because, in the unflagging brilliance of its execution, it fulfills its ambition.

http://www.slate.com/id/2100950/
Old 01-23-09, 09:30 AM

In for one.
Old 01-23-09, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rfduncan
This show just ended, right? I mean I thought I recalled people saying that the final season doesn't really wrap things up as a series finale like Six Feet Under.

Which BTW would be my guess for the final Gold Box if they have one tomorrow.
They should have one, and I too expect and hope for Six Feet Under.
Old 01-23-09, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by xfilekr
Hmmm......recently bought the individual seasons and really like the packaging they have....love the show- Must restrain myself!
Stick with your individual seasons ... packaging is not a plus with this edition ... it's a PIA getting the individual discs out of the cardboard holders w/o scratching them.
Old 01-23-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ Anyone have any pics of the box set?
Old 01-23-09, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by GenPion
They should have one, and I too expect and hope for Six Feet Under.
I already have the SFU set, but I'm thinking that and probably Sex and the City will be the last two deals.
Old 01-23-09, 11:58 AM

the wb and other studios just layed off a lot employees
one reason they used was dvd sales in 08 (down)
maybe the dvd prices will continue to drop this year
i can see it for $50
Old 01-23-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

In for one. 65 bucks seems like a good price for a complete series of this particular show especially when people were paying upwards of 50 bucks a season not too long ago. It is a blind buy for me.
Old 01-23-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Season 1 of the show was great. Than it bought into the Shakspearean hype and started to write every episode as if it was some masterful play. Totally ruined it with its long drawn out dribble writing. On top of that there was hardly a huge payoff. Note how the above article is right about the show.... but it all refers to season 1.
Old 01-23-09, 02:33 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Season 1 of the show was great. Than it bought into the Shakspearean hype and started to write every episode as if it was some masterful play. Totally ruined it with its long drawn out dribble writing. On top of that there was hardly a huge payoff. Note how the above article is right about the show.... but it all refers to season 1.
that's a totally fair point

i DID like the entire show but at the same time i can see how some people might not

for me it had the same payoff as reading a really long book that didn't necessarily have a slam bang ending, but instead was a very interesting journey with each chapter feeling satisfying along the way

i just thought the dialog was fun and intriguing to pick apart meaning-wise, but if you don't take to it then i guess it could get pretty annoying

similarly i've had lots of people tell me Rome was one of their favorite shows ever and i just felt very bored by it. that's why I like HBO though, at least they stretch and try new things.

i just wish Carnivale had been able to continue
Old 01-23-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
^^ Anyone have any pics of the box set?

The slipcase has an open cut out front to show the front of the "book" when it's all together, as you see in the OP. The "pages" are slick coated paperboard sleeves (like thick photo paper). Shouldn't cause damage as long as no grit gets on the disc when you put it back in.

The box is only 2" thick. About as compact as you can get for packaging 19 discs.

Last edited by RKillgore; 01-23-09 at 06:34 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.