Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question for those that own the R1 The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Question for those that own the R1 The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

I've been looking for a copy of this for awhile now without paying ebay level prices. I finally found one at the flea market last weekend for $2. From what I can tell it appears to be an authentic DVD, but none of my drives will recognize it. I've tried several DVD players and 3 DVD Drives on various computers, none of them recognize that there is even a disc in there. So first question, does your copy have "D17074-0 6" on the inner ring on the data side of the DVD? Second, assuming this is an authentic version, anyone have any ideas about what could be causing it and any ideas on how to fix it? Since I do own the original (and mods, feel free to delete this part if it goes against the forum rules), could I make a backup copy for myself if I found someone else with the same DVD?
Old 01-22-09, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Question for those that own the R1 The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover...

It might be the inner ring load info which needs cleaning.
Old 01-22-09, 08:39 PM

Re: Question for those that own the R1 The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover...

I've cleaned the disc several times. There's nothing different I would need to do to clean the inner ring is there?
Old 01-22-09, 10:17 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
So first question, does your copy have "D17074-0 6" on the inner ring on the data side of the DVD?
Mine doesn't seem to have those numbers.
Old 01-23-09, 12:05 PM

I will check when I get home. You probably have a different region copy.
Old 01-23-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Somewhat off-topic, but isn't this supposed to get a Criterion release soon (strongly rumored but not confirmed)?
Old 01-23-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've tried several DVD players and 3 DVD Drives on various computers, none of them recognize that there is even a disc in there.
Well, this is an early Anchor Bay release (right, yours is from Anchor Bay?). Some of the early DVDs released by them, turned dark on the playside over time-- a sort of black color-- and could not be played anymore. Maybe that's what is wrong with the DVD you got.
Old 01-23-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

So first question, does your copy have "D17074-0 6" on the inner ring on the data side of the DVD?
No. Mine has D17074-1 1.
Old 01-23-09, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
No. Mine has D17074-1 1.
Well that at least leads me to believe it is an authentic DVD, just a different pressing. I hadn't really heard of any counterfeit ones, but when there's $$ to be had, you never know.

Well, this is an early Anchor Bay release (right, yours is from Anchor Bay?). Some of the early DVDs released by them, turned dark on the playside over time-- a sort of black color-- and could not be played anymore. Maybe that's what is wrong with the DVD you got.
10-4, this very well could be the problem. If that's the case am I SOL? I'm not too concerned since it was only $2, but I was still looking forward to finally having this DVD. Anyone need a perfectly good case and insert for this title?
Old 01-23-09, 05:47 PM

Mine is also stamped as D17074-1 1. Sorry man, but at least you didn't spend too much money on it.