Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Cablevision/Optimum

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Cablevision/Optimum

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cablevision/Optimum

Don't know if this is the right place for my little mini-rant.

As if I didn't need another reason to hate Cablevision. They dropped the entire VoomHD programming from their lineup. No more MonstersHD, KungFuHD, RaveHD, etc. You would think with this subtraction they would at least give us the Chiller and Sleuth channels as a replacement. I called to find out what happened and got a very rude CSR, who told me "i can't believe this many people care about these stupid channels." If Verizon picks Voom up..hello FIOS.
Old 01-20-09, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Cablevision/Optimum

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
Don't know if this is the right place for my little mini-rant.

As if I didn't need another reason to hate Cablevision. They dropped the entire VoomHD programming from their lineup. No more MonstersHD, KungFuHD, RaveHD, etc. You would think with this subtraction they would at least give us the Chiller and Sleuth channels as a replacement. I called to find out what happened and got a very rude CSR, who told me "i can't believe this many people care about these stupid channels." If Verizon picks Voom up..hello FIOS.
You do realize that Cablevision has Chiller & Sleuth for over two months now.
Old 01-20-09, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by baggio
You do realize that Cablevision has Chiller & Sleuth for over two months now.
Yes I do know that they have had them for awhile now. I don't have the Optimum "iO Gold" package or whatever it is to get them though. Paying $75-100 a month for cable is absurd imo.

I was referring to the fact that it would've been nice to substitute any channels as a sort of consolation to the customers who just lost 6 HD channels.
Old 01-20-09, 11:31 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

This was announced back in December. It definitely sucks though.
Its not really Cablevision's fault though. Dish network voided there contract with rainbow (who puts out the voom channels) and left Cablevision being the only carrier was gonna cost Cablevision too muc money to keep the channels.

I'm not a supporter of Cablevision but in this instance they aren't really the bad guys here.
Old 01-20-09, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Geddlo
This was announced back in December. It definitely sucks though.
Its not really Cablevision's fault though. Dish network voided there contract with rainbow (who puts out the voom channels) and left Cablevision being the only carrier was gonna cost Cablevision too muc money to keep the channels.

I'm not a supporter of Cablevision but in this instance they aren't really the bad guys here.
December, really? Never heard anything about it. I get an email whenever HBO has a free weekend but not when they're deleting 15 of their HD channels. Just strikes me as odd. Just found an engadget article http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/01/15...ls-theyre-all/ that says:

Okay, so Cablevision isn't apt to come right out and say that these newcomers are the replacements for the 15 VOOM HD networks that were marked for deletion late last year, but it may as well have. Coincidentally, 15 new high-def channels are reportedly lined up to join the Cablevision EPG in short order, though every single one is a premium movie channel. Encore HD, Starz Kids & Family HD, Starz Edge HD, HBO Signature HD, HBO Family HD, HBO Comedy HD, HBO Zone HD, HBO2 HD, HBO Latino HD, Action Max HD, More Max HD, @MAX HD, Outer MAX HD and Showtime Too HD are all expected to show up starting on January 21st, with rollouts continuing across all markets until January 23rd. We know, your first reaction is probably something along the lines of "What? All movie channels?," but at least you're getting something out of the deal -- if you opt to pay up, of course.
So they're replacing free HD channels with a majority of premium pay channels. Great.

Last edited by TheNightFlier; 01-20-09 at 01:16 PM.