Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Problem discs on The Wire Box set. Anyone else?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Disc 1 had a few random pauses in it. Season 4 is all messed up. Every disc pauses, jumps ahead, etc. Discs aren't scratched and it is obviously a brand new set. Am I alone, or is anyone else experiencing this?
Old 01-19-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Problem discs on The Wire Box set. Anyone else?

I got the Wire set about a month ago and watched Season 4 and Season 5 without any problems. Although I have not watched Season 1, 2, or 3 yet (had watched them prior to purchasing the set). You have me worried then I might need to re-watch the first three seasons just to make sure they are alright.
Old 01-19-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Fortunately I got mine at Amazon, so getting a replacement is easy. I just decided to do that and hope that I just got the one bad apple.
Old 09-22-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a problem with Season-2 in my "Complete Series" set - the start of the LAST episode (the HBO logo, opening credits, and first few minutes) won't play. Freezes when the HBO logo tries to come up.

For one disc in a complete series set, what can be done?
Old 09-22-09, 01:20 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I have a problem with Season-2 in my "Complete Series" set - the start of the LAST episode (the HBO logo, opening credits, and first few minutes) won't play. Freezes when the HBO logo tries to come up.

For one disc in a complete series set, what can be done?
Are you within the return timeframe from where you bought it from?

If you are, and it's a brick and mortar store, go exchange it and ask the customer service person if you can just exchange the one bad DVD. A lot of stores will let you (I've done it a few times at a couple of different Best Buy's and a Barnes and Noble).

If it's online and it's Amazon, they ship you the replacement immediately, but give you 30 days to ship back the defective original, so you'll be able to swap the single bad DVD of the old set before you send it back. I'm not sure if other online stores do this.

If you're outside the return timeframe and/or you can't exchange the single bad DVD, try contacting HBO/Time Warner's customer service. I'm not sure about HBO, but some places will allow a single DVD exchange for large sets.

Last edited by sb5; 09-22-09 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-22-09, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have yet to watch my set, don't see any problems from my visual inspection so I hope my set works fine.
Old 09-22-09, 03:57 PM

I watched the whole series from start to finish earlier this summer, and don't recall any playback problems. I mostly ran it through my PS3.
Old 09-22-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

There were no problems at all with my complete series set from Amazon.com, so I would say it is an isolated problem and you should exchange the set.
Old 03-24-10, 10:45 AM

kvr, were you able to get this problem resolved? Did the replacement version also skip?

I'm watching the series from Netflix. Midway through season two I am loving it, but have found that several of season 2 episodes are skipping and freezing. I don't know if it is because the discs are all scratchy, or the discs themselves are defective. Season one played fine, but those were newer discs.

I love the show enough that I was thinking of buying it to get unscratched discs and not have to worry about episodes not playing. But if even new discs are faulty, I don't know.
Old 01-27-13, 10:25 PM

I just got the 5 individual box sets from the great WB Shop sale. Season 1 episode two skips so bad in numerous places that it's not watchable.

Anyone have problems with the individual seasons? I probably won't bother with this show if there's going to be issues throughout the seasons.