Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Desperate Housewives -- "The Best Thing that Ever Could Have Happened" -- 1/18/09

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Desperate Housewives -- "The Best Thing that Ever Could Have Happened" -- 1/18/09

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-09, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

When neighborhood handyman Eli Scruggs (Beau Bridges) dies, the housewives realize just how much he affected their lives. Gaby recalls how Eli helped her make friends when she arrived; Lynette remembers how he came to her aid when she was overwhelmed and neglecting Penny; Susan reflects on how he lent her his shoulder to cry on each time a man walked out on her; Edie looks back on their special friendship; and Bree thinks fondly of his small gesture that had a big effect.

Old 01-18-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Desperate Housewives -- "The Best Thing that Ever Could Have Happened" -- 1/18/09

The baby's arm is sticking out, why don't you high-five it?

Old 01-18-09, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Desperate Housewives -- "The Best Thing that Ever Could Have Happened" -- 1/18/09

God. Such an amazing episode! Such a truly wonderful, beautiful, and very sad episode. This year of Desperate Housewives has been amazing! I've really enjoyed it, and every episode has been great. I LOVED the story about how Eli touched the lives of everyone he knew, even in ways that are small. It makes you realize, and appreciate, those who come into your life, and do even the smallest acts. What a lovely episode, beautifully written, directed, and acted!
Old 01-18-09, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Boring episode. Usually the flashback episodes are good and reveal something, but this was just filler.
Old 01-18-09, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Boring episode. Usually the flashback episodes are good and reveal something, but this was just filler.
Really? I don't understand why you think it was boring? It was rather enlightening, showing how this man, who was just a simple handy man, touched the lives of these women, and even contributed to their lives as friends.

To each their own, I guess.
Old 01-18-09, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree it was a filler episode. But I would also have to say it is probably one of my favorite episodes. Very heartfelt.
Old 01-18-09, 09:52 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

Yeah, it was filler but it was a nice break from some of the current stories.
Old 01-18-09, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
What a lovely episode, beautifully written, directed, and acted!
Originally Posted by hippie68
Very heartfelt.
yup! No central mystery or anything eventful related to this season's storylines, but a classic -- funny, sad, heartfelt -- A for their 100th! Been under the weather for a few days and this was a nice pickmeup.

Beau Bridges. Enjoyed all the vignettes with Eli Scruggs.

"If you touch this phone, I'm a have this baby right here and beat-chu with it!"
Old 01-18-09, 10:55 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Good episode tonight -- very touching. Was fitting for the 100th episode.
Old 01-18-09, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wanted to mention a few of my favorite scenes from this episode:

After Eli told Gabrielle about the impression she made upon the ladies of Wisteria Lane, at the poker game. When Gabrielle goes over to apologize, she starts talking about what she should have said to them, saying that her husband is gone all the time, she misses the city, she's lonely all the time, and she could really use some friends, then Bree says, "Now, that's how you make an entrance." Beautiful.

Also, when Bree is remembering how Eli said he loved her recipe for Cajun Meatloaf from the cookbook that she had started working on, but threw away (which Eli saved for her), and one of the ladies tells her what she should make for the wake, Bree says, "Thanks, but I know exactly what I'm going to make." Sweet.

Finally, at the end, when they are lowering Eli's casket, and Bree goes up to it, and fixes the yellow rose, saying, "Just once, I'd like to fix something for Eli." Simply sweet and beautiful.

I just can't get over how much I really love this episode. If you haven't seen it, yet, make sure you have a box of Kleenex in front of you.
Old 01-18-09, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I thought this was one of the best filler episodes of any serialized series I've ever seen.
Old 01-18-09, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Who hasn't Edie banged on Wisteria Lane?
Old 01-19-09, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Filler or not, this is one of the best episodes they've ever done, if not the best. And considering just how much I love this show, that's really saying a lot.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Gaby's line, easily my favorite in an episode full of great lines: "I've only lived here a month, and I already want to put a gun to my head." (turns to Mary Alice) "You know what I mean?"

So wrong, but so damn funny.

Rob
Old 01-19-09, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RobCA

I can't believe no one has mentioned Gaby's line, easily my favorite in an episode full of great lines: "I've only lived here a month, and I already want to put a gun to my head." (turns to Mary Alice) "You know what I mean?"

So wrong, but so damn funny.

Rob
I know! I almost couldn't believe that they put that line in there, because, even though it was so funny, it was so very wrong! LOFL!
Old 01-19-09, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also really enjoyed this episode. The part that made me tear up was when Lynette realized that her baby could have died in the car if not for Eli, and how in the present she went to go spend time with Penny.

The only thing that wasn't quite perfect about he episode is the fact that Eli made his vow to help people after Mary Alice's suicide, yet he went out of his way to help Gaby when she first moved to the block (which was before Mary Alice died.) That sort of stuck out to me, timeline wise.
Old 01-19-09, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My only complaint with this episode was the fact this is the first time we've ever heard of Eli. A guy that important to the neighborhood would've been mentioned more than a few times.

Otherwise, it was a great one.
Old 01-19-09, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I too will list this one under LAME! The wife and I were bored from start to finish (except for the part with Edie in her underwear).
Old 01-19-09, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Did they ever reveal what Mary Alice did that was so "disgusting"? I haven't watched for a couple of season and don't know if they had a flashback episode in there somewhere.
Old 01-19-09, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't think of this as "filler", but rather a pause to go back and provide some additional glimpses of our characters, showing a side of them that doesn't always come through in the frenetic plots.

Very well done episode!
Old 01-19-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Every time the camera panned around the back of each woman's head to start their flashback, I just kept picturing one of those XBOX 360 commercials:

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X6Tq2Kdd6jg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X6Tq2Kdd6jg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/48fxovrCcME&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/48fxovrCcME&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 01-19-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
Did they ever reveal what Mary Alice did that was so "disgusting"? I haven't watched for a couple of season and don't know if they had a flashback episode in there somewhere.
That was revealed at the end of the first season.

In case there are those who haven't seen it, and would like to watch for themselves:

Spoiler:
Mary Alice killed Dierdre (the biological mother of Dana, who Paul and Mary Alice have name Zach) by accident when she came to forcibly take Zach/Dana back from them and they hid her body where they thought it would never be found -- in a toy chest buried under their new pool.
Old 01-19-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

That was revealed at the end of the first season.

In case there are those who haven't seen it, and would like to watch for themselves:

Spoiler:
Mary Alice killed Dierdre (the biological mother of Dana, who Paul and Mary Alice have name Zach) by accident when she came to forcibly take Zach/Dana back from them and they hid her body where they thought it would never be found -- in a toy chest buried under their new pool.
Ahh, now I sort of remember. Things were starting to become a big cluster F which was what turned me off from the show.
Old 01-19-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted to mention a few of my favorite scenes from this episode:

After Eli told Gabrielle about the impression she made upon the ladies of Wisteria Lane, at the poker game. When Gabrielle goes over to apologize, she starts talking about what she should have said to them, saying that her husband is gone all the time, she misses the city, she's lonely all the time, and she could really use some friends, then Bree says, "Now, that's how you make an entrance." Beautiful.

Also, when Bree is remembering how Eli said he loved her recipe for Cajun Meatloaf from the cookbook that she had started working on, but threw away (which Eli saved for her), and one of the ladies tells her what she should make for the wake, Bree says, "Thanks, but I know exactly what I'm going to make." Sweet.

Finally, at the end, when they are lowering Eli's casket, and Bree goes up to it, and fixes the yellow rose, saying, "Just once, I'd like to fix something for Eli." Simply sweet and beautiful.

I just can't get over how much I really love this episode. If you haven't seen it, yet, make sure you have a box of Kleenex in front of you.
Yes
Old 01-19-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I enjoyed it - it was cool to see the HW's in flashbacks even before the show started, like Edi and Gabrielle.

For the life of me, I will never understand why people post episodes like these are "filler."
Yes, it was a pretty much stand alone episode that did not obviously contribute to the season story arc, but who really cares? Do you think you are pointing something out that we don't already know?
Old 01-19-09, 01:42 PM

Hilarious:

Spoiler:
(On Edie asking Eli to rate her boobs)
Edie: And the boobs? Perky and firm?
Eli: * Surprised look * You've named them!?

Last edited by blued888; 01-19-09 at 01:45 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.