Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Circuit city liquidation prices

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Circuit city liquidation prices

Well there is already a dvd thread, and tomorrow we are probably all gonna go check out CC for game deals. So I thought I would start a thread to keep track of prices we found. According to the FAQ the prices might vary from store to store based on the liquidator assigned that store. So go ahead and post away and I will try to update the data each data. Also sense the prices will vary I will show the highest and lowest price seen when we have varying prices.
Old 01-16-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Circuit city liquidation prices

Reserved

Xbox 360

PS3

PS2

Nintendo DS

PSP

Wii

Computer games/accessories
Old 01-17-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I await some good prices...
Old 01-17-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

First off I feel it's a real shame and in the end will actually "hurt" consumers. That being said don't expect those so-called blockbuster deals and savings till later on. We'll see the "everything in store slashed" but for the hot and lower cost items it'll be in the 10% range at first.
Old 01-17-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts

So is this sale at every CC store, or just the ones that are closing?
Old 01-17-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

That's why I called it a shame and bad for all us consumers...it's ALL
Old 01-17-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

same thing.
Old 01-17-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Every CC store in the United States is closing. Get with the program, man!
Old 01-17-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K&AJones
That's why I called it a shame and bad for all us consumers...it's ALL
Yep, the consumer loses on this deal. Less choices, less competition, and all that.

The liquidators are gonna mark everything up to their MSRPs, and then they'll start the clearances off from those prices, so these "amazing" savings really aren't all that amazing. At least at first. And then they'll start really marking stuff down. But by that point, all the good stuff will already be gone.
Old 01-17-09, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a sign up by my Circuit City that read Going out of Business Sale - Up to 30% off!

I didn't even bother to go in.
Old 01-17-09, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by MWB

The liquidators are gonna mark everything up to their MSRPs, and then they'll start the clearances off from those prices, so these "amazing" savings really aren't all that amazing. At least at first. And then they'll start really marking stuff down. But by that point, all the good stuff will already be gone.
This is true. The same liquidators who ran the CompUSA liquidation (Hilco Merchant Resources and Gordon Brothers Retail Partners) are running the Circuit City liquidation. The Consumerist has a brief FAQ about the liquidation.
Old 01-17-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know this question may be a little premature, but anyone have any luck using Rewards Certificates since the liquidation began?

I have $20 in Rewards certificates coming in the mail, so just curious if they are worth anything now.

Also, guessing the the Gamers Club Card is no longer being accepted?

Thanks.
Old 01-17-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was just in one and they didn't raise there prices like I thought but some of there stuff was overpriced to begin with. Most of the stuff was 10% off . The 30% was cables and accessories the one thing that did annoy me is that they wouldn't get something from the back. The guy told us that everything they have is on the shelf which is untrue because the shelf looked exactly the same as before the closing sale, and some of there product was never on the floor only the display. Also there is signs in the game sections saying there is more titles in the back. Now there are some deals like things that don't normally go on sale. Also the 10% signs were over the points cards, and live memberships which is a surprise sense they have no value and just get tossed. I thought about getting a couple more controllers but am gonna wait for a little bit. If there is a new game that you are gonna buy anyways its worth picking up there for the discount.
Old 01-17-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Not sure about the Rewards Cert., but I'd think they should honor it, as it's as good as a GC, and they're still accepting those.
The Gamers Club Card I doubt, since the fine print on the liquidation sale says you can't combine offers, and all games are currently at least 10% off.
If you have luck using your RC, please take the time to shoot me a PM to let me know.
I supposedly have (as of this moment) a $15 RC on the way. LOL!

Originally Posted by flix1
I know this question may be a little premature, but anyone have any luck using Rewards Certificates since the liquidation began?

I have $20 in Rewards certificates coming in the mail, so just curious if they are worth anything now.

Also, guessing the the Gamers Club Card is no longer being accepted?

Thanks.
Old 01-17-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by MWB
Yep, the consumer loses on this deal. Less choices, less competition, and all that.

Yep. The local news did a piece on store clearances back when the first batch of CC stores closed. They peeled back these amazing XX% stickers AT CIRCUIT CITY to find the original sticker price was always much lower. They also compared various items to CC stores that were still open and the better deal was always found at the store that was staying open.

I'm not holding my breath for anything amazing.
Old 01-17-09, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Yeah, I'm also not holding my breath. When stuff like this happens you practically have to show up at the store everyday single day to catch any deals on things you really want. Waiting for the biggest discounts near closing often means the biggest discounts on shit you don't want or need.
Old 01-17-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got back from "my" Circuit City. Supposedly games and accessories discounted 10% (Arbor Walk, Austin TX), and from what I could tell, all the game prices before discount seem to be at least in line with other stores, which is a big difference than the other CC that closed in the first wave of shut downs, which had some ridiculous mark up an games (Blue Dragon at $60!) and accessories.

I was going to buy Chrono Trigger for the DS though I am sure I could get it cheaper, but didn't feel like waiting 45 minutes in the checkout line... which was of course being funneled to the customer service desk instead of a checkout lane.
Old 01-17-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Surprisingly the place was packed but the lines were not that bad, and like I said for some newer stuff that I want to get anyways I may buy there otherwise the other stuff can wait until it goes lower
Old 01-17-09, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went to the Union Square location in Manhattan. From what I could tell, all games were 20% off MSRP.
Old 01-17-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I find it amazing that they will actually go through the trouble of repricing every CD/DVD and video game in the store for the liquidation sale...something they couldn't figure out how to do 100% of the time in the past few years of operations!
Old 01-17-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I went to the Union Square location in Manhattan. From what I could tell, all games were 20% off MSRP.

I was there at the same frickin' time, crazzzy. I work in Union Square and was on break, lines were out of control. Games were indeed 20% off with game accessories at 30% off. I was looking for GHWT bundle for Wii but did not see it..boo.
Old 01-17-09, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
There was a sign up by my Circuit City that read Going out of Business Sale - Up to 30% off!

I didn't even bother to go in.
Yea, saw a sign like that by the Circuit City near me. Drove past the store and saw a pretty full parking lot.
Old 01-17-09, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by db27
I was there at the same frickin' time, crazzzy. I work in Union Square and was on break, lines were out of control. Games were indeed 20% off with game accessories at 30% off. I was looking for GHWT bundle for Wii but did not see it..boo.
When I was there around noon... the lights weren't even on. People were searching through video games using the lights from their cell phones.

I looked for PSN cards, but they were all gone. They did have one XBL 4000 point card (which was 30% off) but I decided to preserve my sanity and get out of there. It was amazing looking at the mouths-agape CC employees watching the hordes of people ascending the escalator.
Old 01-18-09, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Talked to a friend of mine tonight who works at CC, he told me his store did twice the business today than they did on Black Friday. He said that (obviously) the employees are all hiding stuff that they want.
Old 01-18-09, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My local CC was packed for the first time in years. Games were all 10% off and just thrown everywhere in no discernible order.

I did find Blue Dragon for 13$ (and then 10% off) but the huge lines wouldn't have even begun to make it worth it.

They did have a big sign that said they had no Wiis, Wii Fits, or DS systems.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.