TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC Renews 'The Office,' '30 Rock' and "The Biggest Loser" for 2009-2010

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-09, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NBC Renews 'The Office,' '30 Rock' and "The Biggest Loser" for 2009-2010

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20090115nbc04

[01.15.09 - 02:04 PM]

NBC GIVES NEW SEASON PICKUPS TO POPULAR SERIES 'THE OFFICE,' '30 ROCK' AND "THE BIGGEST LOSER' FOR 2009-2010
Released by NBC

[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NBC GIVES NEW SEASON PICKUPS TO POPULAR SERIES 'THE OFFICE,' '30 ROCK' AND "THE BIGGEST LOSER' FOR 2009-2010

UNIVERSAL CITY, CALIF. - January 15, 2009 - NBC has renewed the popular series "The Office," "30 Rock" and "The Biggest Loser" each for an additional year through the 2009-2010 season, it was announced today by Angela Bromstad, President, Primetime Entertainment, NBC and Universal Media Studios, and Paul Telegdy, Executive Vice President, Alternative Programming, NBC and Universal Media Studios.

"These renewals represent our faith in 'The Office' and '30 Rock' as they continue to represent the gold standard in acclaimed and award-winning series," said Bromstad. "We want the devoted fans of these series to know that we are thrilled that these quality programs will be back with the same high-caliber episodes that viewers have come to expect."

"'The Biggest Loser' is a positive, life-enhancing show that has resonated with our audience and has created a solid and loyal fan base," said Telegdy. "This inspirational franchise series will continue with fresh ideas and heartwarming stories."

"The Office" is the season's #1 comedy in adults 18-34 and is tied for the #2 ranking overall, according to "most current" averages from Nielsen Media Research through the season's opening 16 weeks. The acclaimed fifth-season comedy also has the most upscale audience for a primetime series on any broadcast networks in terms of its concentration of adults 18-49 living in homes with $100,000-plus incomes. "The Office" is averaging a 4.9 rating, 12 share among adults 18-49, a 5.8/15 among adults 18-34 and 9.4 million viewers overall. .

Recent multi-Golden Globe-winner "30 Rock" is enjoying its best ratings season yet, having delivered its four highest-rated telecasts ever in adults 18-49 since returning to the NBC Thursday night lineup October 30. Versus last season, "30 Rock" is up 26 percent in adults 18-49 and 20 percent in total viewers, averaging a 3.9 rating, 9 share in adults 18-49 and 7.9 million viewers overall through the first 16 weeks of the season. "30 Rock" is tied for #20 in adults 18-49 and is #9 in adults 18-34 so far this season.

"The Biggest Loser's" seventh season launched on January 6 with the strongest results ever for a "Biggest Loser" premiere with a 4.5 rating, 11 share in adults 18-49 and 11.9 million viewers overall. Last Fall's "Biggest Loser" delivered year-to-year gains of 3 percent in adults 18-49 and 6 percent in total viewers and culminated in a finale 4.6 rating, 12 share in adults 18-49, 11.8 million viewers overall on December 16.

"The Office" is a hilarious documentary-style look into the humorous and sometimes poignant foolishness that plagues the world of 9-to-5 based on the award-winning BBC hit. Since its premiere on NBC in March 2005, "The Office" has established itself as a genuine hit, earning prestigious television honors such as the 2006 Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series, 2006 Peabody Award, 2006 AFI Honor in 2006 and 2009, Producers Guild Award, Writers Guild Award, SAG Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy, Ace Eddie Award for editing and a Television Critic's Association Award for Outstanding Achievement in Comedy.

Golden Globe winner and Emmy nominee Steve Carell stars as regional manager Michael Scott, a single, middle-aged man who is the boastful tour guide for the documentary. Jenna Fischer, John Krasinski, Rainn Wilson, and B.J. Novak are among the talented ensemble cast. "The Office" is from Deedle-Dee Productions, Reveille and Universal Media Studios, and is executive-produced by Ben Silverman, Greg Daniels, who developed the series for American audiences, Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant, Howard Klein and Paul Lieberstein and Jennifer Celotta.

"30 Rock" is told through the comedic voice of Emmy, Golden Globe and SAG winner Tina Fey and features fellow Emmy, Golden Globe and SAG winner Alec Baldwin as a top network executive and Tracy Morgan as the unpredictable star of Lemon's hit variety show, "TGS with Tracy Jordan." Also rounding out the cast are Jane Krakowski, Scott Adsit, Jack McBrayer, Judah Friedlander, Katrina Bowden and Keith Powell. The series won honored with an Emmy as Outstanding Comedy Series in 2007 and 2008. "30 Rock" also was hailed by Entertainment Weekly as "simply the best TV."

"30 Rock" is from Broadway Video & Little Stranger, Inc. in association with Universal Media Studios. The executive producers are Lorne Michaels ("Saturday Night Live"), Fey, Marci Klein ("Saturday Night Live"), David Miner ("Human Giant") and Robert Carlock ("Friends").

"The Biggest Loser" is the popular weight-loss competition series where contestants come together hoping to transform their bodies, their health, and ultimately, their lives. They'll shed pounds in a safe and recommended manner through comprehensive diet and exercise as they compete for a grand prize of $250,000. "The Biggest Loser" has become a worldwide hit airing in over 90 countries and produced in 25 countries.

"The Biggest Loser" is a production of Reveille LLC, 25/7 Productions and 3Ball Productions. Ben Silverman (NBC's "The Office," "Ugly Betty"), Dave Broome ("A Model Life with Petra Nemcova," "Tsunami Aid: A Concert of Hope"), JD Roth ("Age of Love," "Beauty and the Geek"), Todd A. Nelson ("Unan1mous," "Beauty and the Geek") and Mark Koops ("American Gladiators," "Shear Genius") serve as executive producers.
Chris
Old 01-15-09, 04:38 PM

Also

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20090115nbc03

[01.15.09 - 02:02 PM]

NBC UNVEILS SPRING PROGRAMMING ANNOUNCEMENTS THAT INCLUDE NEW JOHN WELLS POLICE DRAMA 'SOUTHLAND' AND PREMIERE DATES FOR NEW 'UNTITLED DANIELS/SCHUR/POEHLER SERIES' AND COOKING COMPETITION SERIES 'THE CHOPPING BLOCK'

Released by NBC
[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

New Drama "Kings" Re-set for Two-hour Premiere on Sundays Beginning March 15

NBC Also Orders Three Additional Episodes for Final Season of "ER" - Moving Two-hour Series Finale to April 2

UNIVERSAL CITY, CALIF. -- January 15, 2009 -- NBC unveiled new spring programming announcements today that include the new John Wells drama "Southland" that will debut on Thursday, April 9 (10-11 p.m. ET) as well as premiere dates for "The Untitled Daniels/Schur/Poehler Series" (working title; Thursday, April 9, 8:30-9 p.m. ET) -- starring Amy Poehler -- and the new cooking competition series "The Chopping Block" (Wednesday, March 11, 8-9 p.m. ET).

In addition, the new drama "Kings" is re-set for Sundays with a two-hour premiere on March 15 (8-10 p.m. ET). Likewise, NBC has added three more episodes of "ER" moving the long-running acclaimed series' two-hour finale to Thursday, April 2 (9-11 p.m. ET) after a one-hour retrospective (8-9 p.m. ET).

These and other announcements were made today by Angela Bromstad, President, Primetime Entertainment, NBC and Universal Media Studios.

"We are excited to continue our productive creative relationship with John Wells and his team on this promising new project," said Bromstad. "We think 'Southland' is a gripping, well-executed drama with strong commercial appeal. And we're also making schedule changes that will strengthen the premieres of our new series 'Kings' and 'The Chopping Block.'"

From Emmy Award winners John Wells, Ann Biderman and Chris Chulack comes a raw and authentic look at the police unit in Los Angeles. From the beaches of Malibu to the streets of East Los Angeles, "Southland" is a fast-moving drama that will take viewers inside the lives of cops, criminals, victims and their families.

Michael Cudlitz ("A River Runs Through It") plays John Cooper a seasoned Los Angeles cop assigned to train young rookie Ben Sherman (Benjamin McKenzie, "The O.C."). Cooper's honest, no-nonsense approach to the job leaves Sherman questioning whether or not he has what it takes to become a police officer.

Cudlitz and McKenzie are joined by other cast members including Regina King ("Ray," "Jerry Maguire") who plays Detective Lydia Adams. Adams lives with and is the primary caregiver of her mother. Her partner, Detective Russell Clarke (Tom Everett Scott, "Boiler Room") is an unhappily married father of three. Michael McGrady ("The Thin Red Line") plays Detective Daniel "Sal" Salinger. Sal oversees fellow gang detectives Nate Moretta (Kevin Alejandro, "Drive," "Ugly Betty") and Sammy Bryant (Shawn Hatosy, "Alpha Dog"). Arija Bareikis ("Crossing Jordan") plays as patrol officer Chickie Brown, a single mom who dreams of being the first woman accepted into SWAT.

"Southland" is a John Wells Production in association with Warner Bros. Television. Wells, Chulack and Biderman serve as executive producers. Biderman is the creator and Chulack will also serve as director of the series.

"The Untitled Daniels/Schur/Poehler Series" (working title) -- from Emmy Award-winning executive producers Greg Daniels (NBC's "The Office," "King of the Hill") and Michael Schur ("The Office, "Saturday Night Live") -- is a new mockumentary that looks at the exciting world of local government. The documentary cameras follow Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler, NBC's "Saturday Night Live," "Baby Mama"), a mid-level bureaucrat in the Parks and Recreation Department of Pawnee, Indiana. In an attempt to beautify her town -- and advance her career -- Leslie takes on what should be a fairly simple project: help local nurse Ann Logan (Rashida Jones, "The Office") take on defensive bureaucrats, selfish neighbors, real estate developers, and single-issue fanatics -- whose weapons are lawsuits, the jumble of city codes, and the very democratic process that Leslie loves so much. Aziz Ansari and Aubrey Plaza also star.

"The Untitled Daniels/Schur/Poehler Series" is a production of Deedle-Dee Productions and Universal Media Studios. Along with Daniels and Schur, Howard Klein also serves as executive producer for the series.

"The Chopping Block" will feature celebrated chef and restaurateur Marco Pierre White (UK's "Hell's Kitchen") in a new original cooking competition series in which the British Michelin star chef gives neophyte hopeful chefs/restaurateurs working in couples the opportunity to compete in America's greatest restaurant challenge. The series will expose the unseen pitfalls and behind-the-scenes madness that goes into opening a restaurant in the most competitive city in the world -- with the help of a grand prize of $250,000. The series is produced by Granada America. The executive producers are David Barbour and Julian Cress.

"Kings" is a riveting new drama from executive producer Michael Green (NBC's "Heroes") about a modern-day monarchy. The series is an epic story of greed and power, war and romance, forbidden loves and secret alliances -- and a young hero who rises to power in a modern-day kingdom. "Kings" stars Ian McShane (Golden Globe-winner, "Deadwood"), Chris Egan, Sebastian Stan, Susanna Thompson, Allison Miller, Wes Studi, Eamonn Walker and Dylan Baker.

"Kings" is produced by Universal Media Studios and is executive-produced by Green, Erwin Stoff ("I Am Legend") and Francis Lawrence ("I Am Legend"), who also directed the two-hour premiere.
Chris
Old 01-16-09, 06:07 PM

Might as well stick this in here!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...&cs=1&nid=2565

Posted: Fri., Jan. 16, 2009, 12:09pm PT

ABC aiming for a comedy comeback

Network wants to bring back situation laffers

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

ABC is looking to reclaim its once-hot comedy brand.

Having struggled with half hours in recent years, the Alphabet is looking at ways to bring back situation comedies in the vein of past hits like "Roseanne" and "Home Improvement."

"That kind of show is missing," ABC Entertainment topper Steve McPherson said Friday at the Alphabet's TV Critics Assn. sesh. "These are tough times and people want more comfort food."

McPherson noted that most of today's half-hour laffers are observation-based setups.

"There's an intimacy missing when the sitcom is nowhere on the air," he said. "People respond to those comedies. I would like to see us get back to a contemporary version (of 'Roseanne' and 'Home Improvement'). There's a real place for that."

Alphabet will take a number of stabs at developing such shows this year. In the larger development picture, McPherson said ABC's large number of midseason bows won't prevent him from picking up as many as 10 comedy and 10 drama pilots - likely the most of any network.

"We're not cutting our R&D," he said. "I believe that's money really well spent. We're not cutting pilots."

Asked about speculation that ABC is about to trim its staff and/or merge its studio and network programming units, McPherson declined comment.

"Rumors are rumors," he said. "Let's deal with the reality of right now."

Earlier in his meet with reporters, McPherson did say that the net was looking at ways to be as cost-concious as possible.

"The world has shifted underneath these businesses," he said. "We have to be incredibly diligent and bold in what we do or we'll be left by the wayside."

McPherson also hinted that a new deal with "Desperate Housewives" creator Marc Cherry is imminent. Pact would keep Cherry as an exec producer on the show, but he'd likely turn his attention to developing new fare.

Exec said the network and studio sat down with Cherry before the holiday to discuss the future of the show and his part in it.

"Luckily for us, he decided we'd keep him on 'Desperate' in some capacity until the end of the show," McPherson said. "He's always said he'll end the show next year, but he realized that I'd probably lock him up and not let him do that. Not only will he be a part of 'Desperate' but he'll develop new material for us. He's got some stuff he's noodling on."

Also at the ABC portion of the tour:

McPherson said he was "pleased" with NBC's decision to strip Jay Leno at 10 p.m. next season, and that ABC could benefit from the move.

"It opens up beachfront real estate to less bidders," he said. "10 o'clock is such a coveted slot, talent like to be in that slot... (CBS' Nina Tassler) and I have different brands, so we're both looking at it and excited that there will be viewers left by the wayside that we can grab."

McPherson said he hadn't expected Leno to remain at NBC, but that it allowed ABC to now start discussing the future of "Jimmy Kimmel Live"

"It's a changing landscape and we're lookin at everything," he said.

ABC will announce the rest of its midseason launches sometime in the next week. Among the bows, McPherson -- who said he wanted to see full cuts of the net's new shows before making final sked decisions - hinted that new animated comedy "The Goode Family" may launch in May.

"King of the Hill" won't be coming to ABC, despite rumors to the contrary. McPherson said he had no plans to pick up the animated comedy, which Fox canceled late last year.

The fate of "Scrubs" continues to be uncertain, although McPherson hinted that a renewal was unlikely.

"I think it would be hard to do the show without Zach (Braff)," he said.

It's probably also curtains for "According to Jim": "I think this is probably the final run but you never say never," McPherson said.

Chris
Old 01-16-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: NBC Renews 'The Office,' '30 Rock' and "The Biggest Loser" for 2009-2010

I hope NBC renews Life and Heroes (yes, I said it. gotta problem with that?).

I can't imagine Scrubs without Zach Braff either, so hopefully, this will be the last season.
Old 01-16-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually I can imagine Scrubs without Braff even though I like him, but don't try to replace him. I am curious is Earl in trouble or has it just not been picked up yet
Old 01-16-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I enjoy Scrubs a lot, I don't see it continuing without Braff, but if it did, I would give it a shot.
Old 01-17-09, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I can imagine Scrubs pulling a Saved By The Bell: New Class. Take out JD, Elliot, Turk and Carla and replace them with new people but keep Cox, Janitor, Ted, Kelso and the rest of the supporting cast. I can see it being good, but I can also see it failing. I'd give it a shot either way.

Good news for 30 Rock and The Office.
Old 01-17-09, 09:23 AM
Banned

Glad to hear were getting more Office and 30 Rock. Hope we get more "My Name is Earl" as well. Those are the only 3 comedies on Network tv I watch (well buy the dvd's of at least.)
Old 01-17-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news for these shows, curious about Chuck. This is one that definitely needs a pickup.

Doug
Old 01-17-09, 08:20 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't believe there isn't word on Chuck yet.
Old 01-17-09, 10:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Glad to hear were getting more Office and 30 Rock. Hope we get more "My Name is Earl" as well. Those are the only 3 comedies on Network tv I watch (well buy the dvd's of at least.)
Earl will likely get picked up for another season while Kath and Kim won't (its going to obviously be replaced with Amy Poehler's show - they cut the order down to 17 episodes from 22). Does NBC have any other 30 minute shows on its schedule anymore besides Thursday nights?