Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me figure out/set up Dolby TrueHD sound please.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-09, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I recently had to buy a new bulb for my Toshiba 62mx195 and my audio reciever remote control was so old I couldn't hardly control it. So I figured might as well update my sound.

I bought a Sony STR-DG520 reciever which has 2 HDMI inputs (just enough for me) and 1 HDMI output. But when I was setting my PS3 up I couldn't get the sound to work. So I hooked it up with one of my digital audio cables then it worked.

My question is, am I going to get Dolby TrueHD audio or am I going to have to return it for another reciever. If so what is the most affordable reciever that can handle Dolby TrueHD audio.

My rear speakers are about 140 watts and my front and center are probably about 200 so they are decent speakers. I want to get the most out of them. I want to experience TrueHD sound with my Blu-rays.
Old 01-14-09, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: Help me figure out/set up Dolby TrueHD sound please.

Not sure where to start...soooo...I'll jump right in...

If you are using a PS3 then the only way to get the newest audio formats on BD is with HDMI. If you are using optical or coaxial (I forget which the PS3 has) then you will not be getting TrueHD. You will still get excellent processing including DTS, but not the newest formats.

I am not familiar with the Sony you have. But will it process the audio over HDMI? You need to look. If it does, then you may have to set your PS3 to output the audio over HDMI. If your receiver does not process audio over HDMI, then and you want the newest formats, then you would have to go to a different receiver that can process the audio over HDMI.

Just because a surround receiver has HDMI does not mean it can process both the video AND audio thru HDMI. Some are just for video switching.

The watts of the speaker say nothing...and perhaps less then nothing about their quality. Well not true. If you tell me that a speaker is 500 or 1000 watts, then I automatically think it is a POS, white van, blue light special speaker. What brand are they?
Old 01-14-09, 08:26 PM

Yamaha, but I didn't ask for advice on the speakers. They are very good, I like the sound quality coming out of them.

Anyway I do not think the receiver processed both audio and video from the HDMI. And I do know about setting the PS3 to send it through the HDMI. So I'll have to go back and get one that does. I tested it out and the sound quality was very good just out of the digital optical. But I want to experience the "trueHD sound" that all they blu-rays boast on the back, lol.

How do I know if a receiver can process both audio and video from the same HDMI? Because the one I bought had text on the box about doing that, you know as a selling point. But that doesn't mean it meant from a single HDMI. I guess I Have to ask and trust the store employees.

Is there a 5.1 receiver in the $200-$300 range that can do that or am I going to be looking to spend $500 or more?
Old 01-14-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Onkyo 606 is the receiver of the day....everyone likes it's features, price, sound quality, power balance. You can usually pick up for $400 or in the $350 range with carefully shopping.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR606...990040&sr=1-1#

I don't believe your Sony does handle the newest formats. Everything I see says it is pass thru. Note the detail in the Onkyo above. It specifically says TrueHD, you Sony does not.

http://www.productwiki.com/sony-str-dg520/

And I'll say though fewer and fewer people are listening or do listen:

You will get more of an upgrade in overall sound quality by upgrading your speakers then by upgrading your receiver just to get lossless.

Tho I will admit moving from a Sony receiver to an Onkyo will have better sound regardless of lossless, you will still get more bang for your buck by upgrading speakers and subwoofer.

Now back to our regularly scheduled show.
Old 01-14-09, 09:40 PM

that's overkill. Pretty much all blu-ray movies I've bought so far support 5.1. There is no reason to buy a 7.1 right now. If I have to spend $400 for "lossless audio" then I think I'll stick to my sony.

Yeah I might upgrade to larger center and front speakers b4 I worry about "TrueHD" sound.

Last edited by Teremei; 01-14-09 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-14-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Teremei
that's overkill. Pretty much all blu-ray movies I've bought so far support 5.1. There is no reason to buy a 7.1 right now. If I have to spend $400 for "lossless audio" then I think I'll stick to my sony.
You don't have to...but again...there is no point in getting lossless if it is crap sounding lossless. I'm sure there is some Sony that will do lossless that is less mony. But can't vouch for the sound quality.
Old 01-14-09, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I might upgrade to larger center and front speakers b4 I worry about "TrueHD" sound.
What is overkill? The price of the Onkyo? You'd be getting the Onkyo or something similar for the sound upgrade for the new hirez audio formats as well as it being a better quality receiver. But you don't need to have a 7.1 setup in order to appreciate these new formats or the sound quality of the receiver. Only you can place a dollar amount on the value of these things but you don't need 7.1 to take advantage of better sound.

On the other hand although I haven't heard your Yamaha speakers I don't think you'd be blown away with hirez audio sound from them even if you upgraded your receiver. As Sdallnct has pointed out you'll get more of an improvement in audio by upgrading the speakers first and keeping your existing receiver but that will cost more than a new receiver.

It all depends on if you think you'll eventually reach the point of higher end audio. If you do, you can spend a little and get the receiver now while saving more money for better speakers. If you have no intention of moving towards lossless audio you can still improve your sound quality by upgrading your speakers but that will cost a bit more.
Old 01-14-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My rear speakers are about 140 watts and my front and center are probably about 200 so they are decent speakers. I want to get the most out of them. I want to experience TrueHD sound with my Blu-rays.
Speaker wattage ratings have nothing to do with the quality of the sound.
Old 01-14-09, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was a die hard Sony ES receiver fan for many years. When it came time to get HDMI switching, I looked closely at another ES receiver as well as Onkyo and Denon, after comparing features and sound quality, I ended up with a Denon 1909. The Audessy Audio calibration alone made it worth the 4 bills I put down on it. It was half the price of my previous Sony ES receiver, sounds substantially better.
Old 01-15-09, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. Right now I'm thinking of replacing my front and center speakers and using the 2 fronts to replace the smaller rear speakers.

In any case, no matter what I do. I appreciate the input.

One last thing. I'd really like to hear from someone who has heard TrueHD sound via home viewing on Blu-ray. Did you notice a large difference in clarity or is it something that is for audiophiles only?
Old 01-15-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One last thing. I'd really like to hear from someone who has heard TrueHD sound via home viewing on Blu-ray. Did you notice a large difference in clarity or is it something that is for audiophiles only?
I've got the Onkyo 606 with a PS3 driving 5.1 JBL Studio 26 speakers with a SVS sub. On my setup with the Audyssey EQ turned on I hear a large difference between my old Kenwood receiver with just DD and the Onkyo with hirez audio.

When comparing the DD and TrueHD tracks on Bluray discs the improvment is subtle but noticeable. I'm hearing more detail and spaciousness. It opens the soundstage up and highs and lows go higher and lower. It was worth it to my ears and I'm more into visual than audio when noticing these things.
Old 01-15-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the tips guys. Right now I'm thinking of replacing my front and center speakers and using the 2 fronts to replace the smaller rear speakers.

HD-Audio is a very nice jump in sound quality v lossy (DD/DTS). I do agree with Sdallnct in that new speakers will also greatly improve the sound of your set-up.

My fist HT was "in a box" and I hated the way the center sounded. Dialog sounded almost muffled. Lossless didn't clear that up, buying new speakers did. Lossless took those new speakers to new levels though.
Old 01-15-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just to be clear, I have nothing against lossless. I like it. It is a nice upgrade. But don't by into the hype. You can have a much more significant impact on you system by upgrading speakers.

You can see my media room set up in my sig. I'm not using lossless as I use a several year old h/k receiver with a ps3 (and hd dvd). I wouldn't mind upgrading to lossless, but I think a SVS sub would have a greeater impact. Literally...LOL. After that I'd probably upgrade speakers. Then lastly my receiver that would include lossless. I'm pleased with the sound of my system. Especially for what I spent. It can be improved. But since I don't want to spend the money to upgrade all at once. So I'll stray with what has the most impact.
Old 01-15-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
PS3 does not bitstream HD formats

Part of your problem is the PS3 is not capable of bitstreaming the HD audio formats. If you have it set to bitstream audio via HDMI, you will be getting the core DTS or DD track. If you want the HD audio, set the PS3 to output PCM via HDMI. The PS3 will decode the audio and output it as multichannel LPCM. (It will do the full 7.1 if you like) I think most receivers nowadays will accept a multichannel PCM input.

Keep in mind you have to use HDMI. If you use the optical connection, it can only handle 2.0 PCM. If you want multichannel, you have to bitstream and it will be the core (lossy) audio.
Old 01-15-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: PS3 does not bitstream HD formats

Originally Posted by shaun3000
The PS3 will decode the audio and output it as multichannel LPCM. (It will do the full 7.1 if you like) I think most receivers nowadays will accept a multichannel PCM input.

Keep in mind you have to use HDMI.
His current receiver is pass thru only. It cannot handle the audio over HDMI. Hence why he is using optical (or coaxial...I can never remember on the PS3).
Old 01-17-09, 08:43 AM

Thanks to the suggestions here I am starting to upgrade my sound system. The speakers I had were. . . To the best of my knowledge

Fronts http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Bookshelf-Speakers-NS-AP4400M-Pair/dp/B0018EGBDW/ref=sr_1_53?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1232202886&sr=1-53
Center http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-C444-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B0000W4U2M/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1232202782&sr=1-36
Subwoofer http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YST-SW2...202782&sr=1-44

I already bought

Polk Audio PSW10 - http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1232201976&sr=1-1

The boom of this subwoofer is what made me want to upgrade the rest of my fronts.

And here's what I will be getting soon.

Polk Audio CS2 center speaker http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Monitor-Channel-Speaker/dp/B0002MPNLC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1232202025&sr=1-1

Polk Audio 50's - http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Monitor-Floorstanding-Speaker/dp/B0002Z240M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1232202514&sr=1-4

For the rears I'm just going to use my previous fronts for now which are bigger than my previous rears. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also suggestions on where to shop? I bought the SW at best buy for $200 and found the same one on Azon for $110 new including shipping with one of their high rated sellers. I want to make sure to get a good deal on the center and fronts if I upgrade (and I will )
Old 01-17-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Size is not an indication of a quality speaker any more then watts are. The general recommendation is to get the same series of speakers for all speakers. I'm not really familar with the Polk line up but I'm sure they have "matching" surrounds available.
Old 01-17-09, 09:18 AM

Alright. Any better places to get speakers than Azon's sellers? It certainly would save me money over best buy.

Last edited by Teremei; 01-17-09 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-17-09, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the impression from your earlier posts that you're someone watching his budget. So I just thought I'd point out that the price listed on Amazon for the Polk 50 speakers you're interested in are for a single speaker and not a pair.

With yesterday's announcement that Circuit City is going out of business you might be able to find a better deal there as they clear out their store's. I know they sell Polk speakers and you'll get a chance to physically see and hear them first.

I almost bought Polk speakers but found them too bright sounding for my tastes and bought the JBL Studios instead for their warmer sound. What sounds good to one person doesn't always to another so you should try to listen before you buy even if you listen in store and buy online.