Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking to purchase a new LCD TV soon

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 04:28 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I've been browsing for a new flat screen for a year and a half now. Mind you, my current Hitachi 46'' which is um... maybe 10 years old now or maybe even older but it still works. I know we're in the new HD age now and I'd like to get one before tax month.

I came across this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=10&loc=01

It's the same size but my Hitachi isn't a widescreen (almost) and I've always wanted to mounted flat screen, so that Sony Bravia HDNA look pretty sleek. Now... I don't know any of the technical stuff but I have a 5:1 channel Yamaha stereo I just bought 2 summers ago and I believe it connects via a red/yellow/white cable but this Sony TV has a 3 HDMI inputs, am I screwed here?

And is there any pros and cons about that LCD I posted a link to?

Thanks in advance while I keep browsing around for other flatscreens but that one just struck me.
Old 01-12-09, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Looking to purchase a new LCD TV soon

Well I am not sure what you are asking.

The tv is a personal choice. How you connect it has more to do with the source material than anything else. Yes tv's now have hdmi connections and they have other connections as well.

What are you going to watch? Cable, satellite, dvd's, blu ray? That will determine more how to connect it.

If you like that tv, get it.
Old 01-12-09, 07:19 AM
Cool New Member

Well, I plan to purchase a Playstation 3, so it'll be a DVD/Blu-Ray viewing and I use DirecTV and I believe I have satellite connection.

What I'm asking is about my surround sound, does the "HDMI input" have the colored cable connection (R/Y/W) or do I have to get a special HD cable to connect my stereo to the LCD? Because my stereo receiver connects my current dvd player, DirecTV receiver and FM/AM radio and the receiver connects to the Hitachi.

Another thing I'm asking for is is there anything I'll be missing out if I purchase that TV? Something major? I could care less for the picture quality until I check it out in person.
Old 01-12-09, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If your receiver does not have any hdmi connections and you want to switch through it you may need to upgrade to a new receiver. There are no special cables to convert from hdmi to older standards. You can run optical/coax out from the direct tv receiver and possibly from the play station so that the audio will be available.

Someone else may comment on the tv, I do not own that model or even an lcd tv, I prefer the look of plasma.
Old 01-12-09, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1- Even though your current TV is 46" and this LCD is 46", your current TV is actually larger. You would need to go to over 52" to have a similar size television as your current one. 4:3 televisions are technically larger than 16:9 televisions that share a similar diagonal screen size.

Think of it this way...if the same image of a man fills both screens of the same diagonal size, the image of the man on the widescreen television would be smaller.

2- What model is your Yamaha? Was it an all-in-one system with a receiver and 5 speakers + a sub in one box?
Old 01-12-09, 04:08 PM
Cool New Member

It is a Yamaha model AV Receiver HTR-6030 and yes, all of the speakers and subwoofer came in one box. The DVD player is a Yamaha too but I bought that at a later date but that shouldn't matter because it feeds through the Yamaha receiver.

The way you explained the widescreen ratio, you are correct now that I think about it. I use my TV *mostly* for movies and sports anyway. Is there such wall mount/braces that can hold something big like a 52'' you talking about or is the stand recommended? I'm still leaning towards that 46'' until I see it in person and I'll weigh my option.

I guess there isn't anything major I'll be missing out if I get that TV, I take it? What about the LCD? is it more preferable than the plasma? The 1080p? The 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio is the common widescreen option, correct?
Old 01-12-09, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Myke
It is a Yamaha model AV Receiver HTR-6030 and yes, all of the speakers and subwoofer came in one box. The DVD player is a Yamaha too but I bought that at a later date but that shouldn't matter because it feeds through the Yamaha receiver.

The way you explained the widescreen ratio, you are correct now that I think about it. I use my TV *mostly* for movies and sports anyway. Is there such wall mount/braces that can hold something big like a 52'' you talking about or is the stand recommended? I'm still leaning towards that 46'' until I see it in person and I'll weigh my option.

I guess there isn't anything major I'll be missing out if I get that TV, I take it? What about the LCD? is it more preferable than the plasma? The 1080p? The 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio is the common widescreen option, correct?
you can connect a blu-ray player digitally to your receiver to allow for dolby digital sound. optimally you would want lossless sound but that receiver doesnt allow it. if you had analog iputs you could get lossless sound by using a player other than the PS3 but with a home theater in a box it isnt worth it anyway.

you should move up to a 50" 1080p Panasonic plasma for that kind of money. it can hand from a wall. i suggest a Peerless wall mount. Heck you probably don't need a 1080p Panny but at this point you may as well. How far do you sit from the TV?

If you are stuck on getting that Sony LCD just be careful with motion blur while watching sports.
Old 01-12-09, 04:45 PM
Cool New Member

I just measured and I sit about a little over 8 foot from my current one. The wall I'm planning to mount it on, I'll be about 9 foot away.

I did see a Panasonic Viera in the Best Buy ads, I think this was the one I saw:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1200703056434

But I heard stuff about the Plasma TVs like the bulbs burning too fast and other minor rumors. But what do I know?
Old 01-12-09, 05:57 PM

I just measured and I sit about a little over 8 foot from my current one. The wall I'm planning to mount it on, I'll be about 9 foot away.

I did see a Panasonic Viera in the Best Buy ads, I think this was the one I saw:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1200703056434

But I heard stuff about the Plasma TVs like the bulbs burning too fast and other minor rumors. But what do I know?
early generations of plasmas had issues. but videophiles were willing to live wih those issues for the far superior picture quality. now, those issues are basically gone.

plasma half life used to hover around 20k hours. now it is over 100,000 hours. divide that by 8 hours/day and you will see it is well over the numb er of years you will ever own the tv.

there is no real burn-in worry anymore either.

plasma is a better choice and a 1080p 50" Panasonic would be perfect for your situation. if you read through these forums you will see just how much people like plasma.
Old 01-12-09, 05:58 PM

oh, and you can find that TV at a much better price than what best buy is offering.
Old 01-12-09, 06:05 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah? Any source(s)?
Old 01-12-09, 06:26 PM
Cool New Member

I found this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Vier...1805926&sr=1-5

I'll save a bunch if I get it from there, and it's free shipping too. It doesn't say how much the actual plasma weigh. But how will Amazon deliver something that big? Do they get two large men to deliver it to my door or is there some kind of a pick-up place? That is *if* I order it off that site.
Old 01-12-09, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

But how will Amazon deliver something that big? Do they get two large men to deliver it to my door or is there some kind of a pick-up place? That is *if* I order it off that site.
You know the link you just provided? See the big box that says "Free White Glove Delivery"? Read that and it will answer your question.
Old 01-12-09, 06:57 PM
Cool New Member

Ah, I see it now. I just took a quick browse over that link and missed that. Well, I don't have anything set up yet or a wall mount. So, it's saying I have to get the wall mount first for these guys to set it up right away or can they just drop off the tv and I'll set it up the way how I want?

Anyway, anything against that tv in the Amazon link? I'm trusting the posters on this forum so far, you are all more knowledgable in the little stuff than I am.
Old 01-12-09, 08:57 PM

Ah, I see it now. I just took a quick browse over that link and missed that. Well, I don't have anything set up yet or a wall mount. So, it's saying I have to get the wall mount first for these guys to set it up right away or can they just drop off the tv and I'll set it up the way how I want?

Anyway, anything against that tv in the Amazon link?
It's a great TV. It will blow you away. They won't mount it for you.

I'm trusting the posters on this forum so far, you are all more knowledgable in the little stuff than I am.
And I could probably hold my own with the big stuff as well.
Old 01-12-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Anyway, anything against that tv in the Amazon link? I'm trusting the posters on this forum so far, you are all more knowledgable in the little stuff than I am.
I'm not sure you need 1080p on such a small set, sitting as far as you are. But if it fits your budget, won't hurt.

Also, you seem to be all over the board, asking everything in the world. Which is ok, but you need to do some more research and get comfortable with your choices.
Old 01-13-09, 04:38 AM
Cool New Member

I am now leaning towards that 50'' Panny Viera plasma. I'm concerned about the weight of that thing though, it is 83.4 lbs according to the Panasonic website. What do you guys suggest? Mount or stand?
Old 01-13-09, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am now leaning towards that 50'' Panny Viera plasma. I'm concerned about the weight of that thing though, it is 83.4 lbs according to the Panasonic website. What do you guys suggest? Mount or stand?
I have my 42" plasma sitting on the same stand that held my old Sony 36XBR400 that weighed in at about 250 lbs. The stand was happy.
Old 01-13-09, 08:24 AM

i have my Panny Plasma on a Peerless mount on the wall. I think mine weighs in around the same or a few pounds more than yours.

If you put it on a stand, make sure you secure it properly. There are straps to attach it to the stand or the wall. Use them.
Old 01-13-09, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Why are you worried about weight? Regardless of weight with this size set your going to need help if you want to wall mount.
Old 01-15-09, 05:01 AM
Cool New Member

I made up my mind and went with the Panny Viera 50'' Plasma. Just waiting for it to get here.
Old 01-15-09, 09:01 AM

I made up my mind and went with the Panny Viera 50'' Plasma. Just waiting for it to get here.
Good choice. You have "made your bones" in this forum.
Old 01-20-09, 05:27 PM
Cool New Member

I received the plasma today and took it out and laid it flat on the bed, panel up and I saw lines inside the plasma and I'm like... "that's not a good sign"

Yep, my new Panny is shattered on the inside. I guess I'll send it back and wait another week.
Old 01-20-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received the plasma today and took it out and laid it flat on the bed, panel up and I saw lines inside the plasma and I'm like... "that's not a good sign"
Never lay a plasma or LCD TV flat. Did you notice any prominent signs to that effect on the shipping carton?
Old 01-20-09, 06:40 PM
Cool New Member

I know about that sign but I noticed the broken glass when I took it out and only laid it down for a split second to look at the screen it was already shattered in the top corners. I didn't look at the screen prior to taking it out of the carton.

The only warning on the shipping carton itself is to transport it in the upright position. There's no way of knowing when or where it got damaged and it couldn't have happened when I took it out or else I would of heard a pop or crack or something. Me and my dad took it out gently but I did notice the one delivery guy (yes, ONE) took it out and he wasn't really careful with it but he took it out of the van in the upright position and he put it on the dolly the long end against the dolly and it was leaning 120 or 130 degrees position going up my driveway but like I said, there's no way of knowing where or when it got damaged.

I called the delivery company and Amazon anyway, the replacement will be here next week and the delivery company will have two guys this time and will offer to open it to make sure and take the damaged one back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.