DVD Talk
Circuit City After Christmas DVD Clearance 75% off -Sound of Music 2 disc $5 YMMV ? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Circuit City After Christmas DVD Clearance 75% off -Sound of Music 2 disc $5 YMMV ?

beachdeer
01-11-09, 03:53 PM
Hi all, I just went back from CC in Fairfax,VA where I found they had After Christmas DVD clearance 75% off bin, with classic Christmas-theme titles like Jack Frost, Fred Clause 2, etc.

What I didn't expect to find was The Sound of Music 2 disc 40th Anniversary Special Edition is included in this bin. Its price tag was $19.99. I brought it to cashier and yes, the price became $5.25 after tax. Later I checked their website still listed this as $21.99.

I don't know if this clearance is nationwide or titles may vary from store to store ; that's why I put YMMV.
Hope that helps, and thanks.

melih69
01-11-09, 05:20 PM
Good price on that DVD. I have to check my CC. Thanks for the post.

cinemaphile
01-11-09, 06:31 PM
There was a Fred Claus 2?

RustyOrgan
01-12-09, 12:16 AM
Hey Beechdeer - I live in Fairfax, VA too. Did they have many Sound of Musics left?

lovgun7
01-12-09, 07:01 AM
its depressing stepping into a circuit city ... they're pretty much empty ... well when i go no customers are in the store ..

kenbenobi
01-12-09, 08:31 AM
its depressing stepping into a circuit city ... they're pretty much empty ... well when i go no customers are in the store ..
But doesnt that make you feel special! You have the whole store to yourself! When I go to BB, I can't even find a parking spot in their lot...

Phibes
01-12-09, 09:28 AM
Prolly meant Santa Clause 2....

dex14
01-12-09, 01:28 PM
Has anyone else seen this at their store? Im about to take a trip to check it out....

FangsFirst
01-12-09, 02:09 PM
Saw a sign. Almost no DVDs left--nothing but shrek the halls and the madagascar christmas thing.

Was hoping to find A Christmas Story tin (silly of me, I know) or Miracle on 34th Street, two of the other titles listed on the sign. No dice. Darn.

dex14
01-12-09, 03:03 PM
I went to check it out. There was no bin...but there was a place for The Sound of Music and it had a red tag that said $5.00. Of course...no copies...

GMan2819
01-12-09, 04:51 PM
As of 3:30p, one copy left at the Fairfax, VA location. It's on the shelf, not in the bin. And not in the Family videos section but the section to the left.

obidawsn
01-13-09, 12:30 PM
I went to our store and didn't see a sign except for some Christmas CDs. I looked all around and finally saw a shelf with Christmas titles that had a big sticker on the front with different prices than the actual sticker price. But the discount wasn't much. Maybe 20%. There wasn't much to choose from, though. They had one of the sets of classic cartoons (How the Grinch Stole Christmas, The Year without Santa Claus, etc.) that was prices $27.99 (instead of the $34.99 sticker price). I took it up to the register to ask about it and they said that was the price. I told her I just wanted to check and she rang it up and it came up $34.99. She told me she could give it to me for the $27.99 price and took it out of my hand like she was about to make a sale or something. I told her I didn't want it at that price. The only other things I remember seeing were The Santa Clause 2 & 3, Fred Claus, Polar Express, Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer and a few others that I don't remember. I did see a copy of Sound of Music sitting randomly above them and to the right in the midst of a bunch of animated features.

HTN
01-14-09, 10:12 PM
I've been meaning to pick up the Sound of Music for several years now, but have held off in hopes of a good deal. I stopped by the midtown CC in NYC tonight and scanned through their 75% off Christmas clearance plastic bin without any luck. I finally managed to find one copy on the shelf and it was labeled $19.99, but ran up as $5.

Thanks OP for the heads up!

lovgun7
01-16-09, 05:04 AM
i was at CC today and i found the "display" .... its just a wooden box with yellow paper saying "75% off holiday movies & Cds" ...

found

10 holiday classics collection
jingle all the way
home alone
elf (i picked this one up)
How The Grinch Stole Christmas
A Christmas Story

it was the Van Nuys store on Victory and Woodman

melih69
01-16-09, 11:02 AM
3 closest CC around my area are not closing so I guess they are doing really good ?!?!?
No Bin or anything like that. Couldn't even find a decent priced movie. :(

creekdipper
01-16-09, 02:16 PM
Thanks, OP. Had to travel TWICE this week to neighboring city with wife for her hand surgery/physical therapy...both times had to pass up their CC.

However, yesterday found SOM for $5 at the CC in our hometown. No sign of any Christmas display (after the bad news hit, I imagine no one was in a holiday mood), but found one copy on the shelf with the family movies. It was sitting in front by itself & I still almost missed it.

Anyway, thanks...looks as though this will be the last CC bargain I ever get.

Corey31
01-16-09, 04:48 PM
3 closest CC around my area are not closing so I guess they are doing really good ?!?!?
No Bin or anything like that. Couldn't even find a decent priced movie. :(

All Circuit Cities are closing now, would post a link but I don't have 15 posts yet.

It's a sad day for electronics shoppers: Circuit City, the second-largest retailer of consumer electronics, has announced it is forced to close all its remaining 567 U.S. stores and sell all its merchandise. The closing also leaves 34,000 Circuit City employees out of a job.

The company entered bankruptcy protection in November 2008, and needed a healthy shopping season-and an infusion of funds-in order to continue going. Neither happened, and today it filed with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Circuit City. Circuit City says it will begin a sale of its merchandise starting Saturday lasting through March 31.

The Valeyard
01-16-09, 08:07 PM
i was at CC today and i found the "display" .... its just a wooden box with yellow paper saying "75% off holiday movies & Cds" ...

found

10 holiday classics collection
jingle all the way
home alone
elf (i picked this one up)
How The Grinch Stole Christmas
A Christmas Story

it was the Van Nuys store on Victory and Woodman

I just got back from that store. I picked up Shrek the Halls for 4 bucks and Santa Claus the Movie for 2.50.

Thanks!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0