Reload this Page >

Complaint about "Die Hard 4" Digital Copy

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-08-09, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Okay, I bought my Die Hard 4 DVD set before Fox and Apple had done their negotiating and therefore the disc I have has the digital copy which is only compatible with Windows Media. I understand that the Die Hard 4 which is NOW being sold contains a Digital Copy which is compatible with the iPhone (correct?). I went to http://foxdigitalcopy.com and contacted them to see if I could somehow obtain an iPhone compatible copy. Here is what I wrote to them: I purchased this title before you supported the iTunes with the Digital Copy. Is there any way in which I can now receive the iPhone Compatible Digital Copy of Die Hard 4?
Here is their response: No. The digital copy is not supported for iTunes and at this time there is no plans to change this.

This makes it sound like the Die Hard 4 Digital Copy is STILL not compatible with the iPhone, can anybody confirm or deny this for me?
Old 01-08-09, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Complaint about "Die Hard 4" Digital Copy

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wKiIroiCvZ0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wKiIroiCvZ0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>
Old 01-08-09, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen any that include an iTunes copy (even new copies), but that doesn't mean they're not out there - I think that this was one of the original titles to include a digital copy and was Windows-Media only. The digital copies are also encoded onto the bonus DVD, so I don't think it would be possible for them to just give you a copy, other than mailing you a new disc (if there is one), and that's not something they would normally do (they would likely consider it to be a "new version" of a DVD, and much like if you bought a movie a year ago and they double dipped, they wouldn't want to send you the new "special features" disc).

I also thought that all movies that included an itunes digital copy were available for purchase on itunes, but DH4 isn't sold in the itunes store.
Old 01-08-09, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by SPIDERone
I also thought that all movies that included an itunes digital copy were available for purchase on itunes, but DH4 isn't sold in the itunes store.
Yes, I did notice however that the Pineapple Express Digital Copy is "Unrated" and the version being sold on Itunes is the "R rated".
Old 01-09-09, 12:07 AM

I had the same problem with die hard 4. fox told me that I need to contact apple and ask them about it.

Jacob
Old 01-09-09, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

to JACOB:

Yes, I read on another forum about contacting Apple and complaining about this. I did so, and if you want to contact apple directly about it and let them know that there are a few of us out here waiting for our iTunes compatible version of DH4 then go to this link:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

danwiz
Old 01-09-09, 02:46 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's too bad they don't make them compatible for psp either
Old 01-09-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what i find even more outrageous is the fact that i bought the diehard4 dvd on release date and tried to redeem my code just a few weeks back.....it had already expired!! wtf?? there is a time constraint??
Old 01-09-09, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by philip74
what i find even more outrageous is the fact that i bought the diehard4 dvd on release date and tried to redeem my code just a few weeks back.....it had already expired!! wtf?? there is a time constraint??
There is on the ones that come with Blu-rays. Usually it lasts a year. I agree, it does suck that the digital copies have expiration dates.
Old 01-09-09, 09:26 AM

I already wrote to apple about this.

Jacob
Old 01-09-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by philip74
The expiration date is usually a year from the release of the DVD. Look at the piece of paper that your code is on. It should be printed on there. If you haven't reached the expiration date, there should be a Web address to contact to receive a new code. Sometimes, for whatever reason, the codes just don't work and need to be reissued.
Old 01-09-09, 03:27 PM

I didn't know anyone actually used the digital copies...
Old 01-09-09, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DiedLaughing
I redeem all my digital copies. Don't use them, but I bought the bastards and I'm getting them. I don't ever see myself watching the latest Mummy movie on my phone (or ever watching the regular copy again either), but I have it if I ever change my mind.
Old 01-09-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DiedLaughing
I personally have absolutely no use for these so called "special features". I cant understand why anyone would want to watch a movie on a tiny little phone screen. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 01-09-09, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
I cant understand why anyone would want to watch a movie on a tiny little phone screen. Doesn't make sense to me.
You're not restricted to watching digital copies on a phone or iPod.

I don't like digital copies either --- the DRM is too restrictive, the expiration date on the code is ridiculous, and I can create my own portable copy using Handbrake.

But playing devil's advocate, they do allow you to take a movie with you on a laptop if you're traveling, without bringing the physical disc along with you. And you can plug an iPod or other portable device into a TV with good results.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 01-09-09 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-09-09, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just create your own digital copy, since you own the DVD. I don't think legally it's any different than putting songs from CDs you own on your iPod.
Old 01-09-09, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
But playing devil's advocate, they do allow you to take a movie with you on a laptop if you're traveling, without bringing the physical disc along with you. And you can plug an iPod or other portable device into a TV with good results.
Originally Posted by Kory
Just create your own digital copy, since you own the DVD. I don't think legally it's any different than putting songs from CDs you own on your iPod.
Cant you just rip the dvd to your harddrive if you're gonna go that route? What is the advantage of using a digital copy, versus a ripped copy? And I believe Kory is correct on the legality.
Old 01-10-09, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
Cant you just rip the dvd to your harddrive if you're gonna go that route? What is the advantage of using a digital copy, versus a ripped copy? And I believe Kory is correct on the legality.
Kory is NOT correct on the legality if the DVD uses digital copy protection, such as CSS, which virtually all commercial DVDs do. Breaking digital copy protection is a violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act.

Sure, I do make my own "digital copies" when I'm going to travel. But the digital copies included with DVDs are for the average consumer, who has neither the time nor the technical know-how to make their own.

Again, I'm not a fan of digital copies. I hate the DRM hoops the studios make people jump through, and the disc is basically a coaster after it has been used once. I'm just trying to explain why they may be of value to some people. But I hope consumer response is poor and they go away after a few months.