Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Confessions of a Superhero (2007)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I watched Confessions of a Superhero last night, on my Xbox 360 via Netflix, and I was impressed with it. Has anyone else watched it lately, now that it's freely available to Xbox and Netflix users?

To those who haven't seen it, it's the story of several people who dress up as superheroes (or cartoon characters) and hang around Hollywood looking to make money off of pedestrians who take their pictures. Every person in the movie is pretty much clinically insane, but it has some touching moments along with several funny ones. The guy who dresses up as Superman stole the show, in my opinion, as I'm guessing the director agreed as he has the most screen time.

Definitely recommended to those out there who are looking for titles to add to their Netflix queue.

Oh, and this girl is pretty hot, in my opinion...

Old 01-08-09, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Confessions of a Superhero (2007)

Are these the guys that hang out in front of Mann's Chinese Theatre? Ugh.
Old 01-08-09, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait a second.

This is actually a documentary, and not a mockumentary?

I bought this a while back in one of those Movie Gallery store closing sales, but I thought it was a mockumentary about real superheroes. I may have to actually watch this sometime soon.
Old 01-08-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rented it a couple of months ago.

George Clooney was hilarious in it and yes I too wanted to bang Wonder Woman.
Old 01-08-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Never heard of it, but it sounds kind of interesting.
Old 12-17-10, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I've had this in my Netflix streaming queue for quite a while and just watched it. I loved it! It starts off with a Trekkies vibe, but quickly moves away from being a punchline to showcasing some genuinely touching moments of humanity. I know entirely too many guys like Maxwell Allen ("Batman") and can't stand that aggressive bravado nonsense, and Christopher Dennis clearly has some delusional issues but his heart seems to be in the right place so he gets a pass. Joe McQueen and Jennifer Gehrt, though, are both very accessible and I found myself cheering when he got the role of a villain's henchman and I was sad when Gehrt's fly-by-night marriage went south.

Matt Ogens did a great job keeping the four concurrent stories moving and focused; I never felt like it was meandering, and there were plenty of opportunities for the movie to stray. Not only are the subjects genuinely fascinating, but as a documentary I thought this was very well assembled. Maybe it's the fact I watched it in the middle of the night/early morning when everything else was quiet and serene and I was able to get lost in the movie. Maybe it's that I admire people who are willing to take absurd risks to pursue something when most people are content to live conventional lives and mock those risk-takers from a distance. Whatever the reason, this one really won me over.