Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do people like M.I.A.?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the CD over Christmas break. After several listens I can't understand what people see in this shit? She is completely monotone and uses what I'd consider a really annoying voice that carries no melody. It's so flat. What am I missing?
Old 01-07-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Why do people like M.I.A.?

Originally Posted by puddytay
I bought the CD over Christmas break. After several listens I can't understand what people see in this shit? She is completely monotone and uses what I'd consider a really annoying voice that carries no melody. It's so flat. What am I missing?
I'm assuming you bought Kala? If so, then check out Arular. IMO it's a much stronger album. I love MIA and even I still only really like the 2nd half of the Kala album.

As for why I like any of it though....probably mostly for the music. I do like her rapping/singing style as well, but the music itself seals the deal for me.
Old 01-07-09, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may not be for everyone. I really like MIA for the music too.

I recommend treading carefully when seeking out music from boardies, here. They are an electic bunch.
Old 01-07-09, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I like the music and some of her lyrics are pretty decent too. It's a bit overrated but enjoyable no less.
Old 01-07-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I actually liked Kala more than Arular. The latter only had a few decent songs ("Galang" and "10 Dollar").

Kala I thought was outstanding. But M.I.A. is not music for everyone. It is relatively eclectic and absolutely energizing in the right environment. Her "live" "concert" (all lip-synched) was one of the neatest concerts I've been to in the past few years.

If you're going to ask me to pick someone whose music best blends a bunch of cultures and influences, then I'd go with Manu Chao.

And "Paper Planes" I think is one of the musically defining songs of this decade.
Old 01-07-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
And "Paper Planes" I think is one of the musically defining songs of this decade.
Yes. There's also this.
Old 01-07-09, 08:44 PM

Sorry, folks, but I'm with puddytay here. "Paper Planes" is probably the most overrated single of last year. Rapping over -- er, I mean, sampling -- a good song doesn't automatically make another good song.
Old 01-07-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I just think she's hot. I couldn't give two squirts about her music. But that's me.

Old 01-07-09, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GHackmann
Sorry, folks, but I'm with puddytay here. "Paper Planes" is probably the most overrated single of last year. Rapping over -- er, I mean, sampling -- a good song doesn't automatically make another good song.

You're right. Putting it all together to make something unique and ultra-enjoyable does.
Old 01-08-09, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
You're right. Putting it all together to make something unique and ultra-enjoyable does.
And I'm still waiting for her to do that. I don't mind sampling as a principle, as long as it adds something on top of a good song. But take away the "Straight to Hell" loop from "Paper Planes" and you're left with annoying vocals punctuated with gunshot SFX (and, apparently, massive critical acclaim).

Last edited by GHackmann; 01-08-09 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-08-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the song Paper Planes enough, but to me it seems like she gets praise for doing hip-hop that was done a long time ago by better artists.
Old 01-08-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She's definitely polarizing. I've experienced this myself: the first time I listened to one of her tracks ("Galang", I think) I was out jogging and wearing cheap-o headphones. It wasn't loud enough, I couldn't exactly hear the bass line and all that stood out was her (definitely grating) vocals. I kept thinking "what is this shit"? It just sounded amateurish and half-baked.

Later, I put the same track on my home stereo (featuring a big ol' subwoofer) and it suddenly sounded absolutely terrific. I untangled the subcontinent-style beat and the vocals sounded ferocious, not screechy. The music's meant to be played loud and you have to like the stripped-down UK garage sound (Dizzee Rascal, Lady Sovreign, The Streets, The Bug etc). I grew to like Arular so much, it was actually my favorite album the year it came out.

Having said that, I can completely understand how a lot of people might not like her music...
Old 01-08-09, 04:11 PM

I'm not a huge fan, but I do find her music to be fairly unique in the way it blends hip hop/electronic music and Bangra/Middle Eastern styles, plus it's fun.
Old 01-08-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superfro
I'm assuming you bought Kala? If so, then check out Arular. IMO it's a much stronger album. I love MIA and even I still only really like the 2nd half of the Kala album.
Funny, I like Kala a lot better and mainly the first half. I think she's very creative (good knack for interesting samples) and enjoy how she mixes up different styles. I don't consider myself much of a fan of hip hop, but I like her very much.
Old 01-08-09, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

why do people like kiss and acdc(post back in black)? two more mysteries that will never be solved.
shit add these to the list....
buckcherry(this forum)
tv on the radio
justin timberlake

Last edited by chino77; 01-08-09 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-09-09, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Funny, I like Kala a lot better and mainly the first half.
Well obviously...one of us is wrong.
Old 01-09-09, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really only liked Paper Planes off of the newest album. I haven't heard Arular.

= J
Old 01-09-09, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who?
Old 01-09-09, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I just think she's hot. I couldn't give two squirts about her music. But that's me.

I agree whole-heartedly.
Old 01-09-09, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

She is hot as hell and I love both albums. I was shocked when Paper Planes blew up off a nearly 1 1/2 - 2 year old album. This really isn't music for everyone though and I'm fine with that. She has given me almost 4 years (3 1/2?) years of listening pleasure from these two albums and I hope we'll get some new stuff in the not too distant future.

Last edited by jrsl76; 01-09-09 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-09-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsl76
She is hot as hell and I love both albums. I was shocked when Paper Planes blew up off a nearly 1 1/2 - 2 year old album.
Have you heard Esau Mwamwaya's version, "Tengazako"?

<object width="300" height="110"><param name="movie" value="http://media.imeem.com/m/491tKGSW6R/aus=false/"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/491tKGSW6R/aus=false/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="110" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>
<form method="post" action="http://www.imeem.com/embedsearch/" style="margin:0;padding:0;"><input type="text" name="EmbedSearchBox" /><input type="submit" value="Search" style="font-size:12px;" />
</form>

03 Tengazako - Esau Mwamwaya
Old 01-09-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well now I have. Thanks!
Old 01-09-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsl76
She is hot as hell and I love both albums. I was shocked when Paper Planes blew up off a nearly 1 1/2 - 2 year old album.
Prob because it was used as the unofficial theme song to 'Pineapple Express' since it was used in all the commericals for it.
Old 01-09-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I knew that. It's just funny how something can fly under the radar for so long, then blow up.
Old 01-10-09, 02:26 AM
Suspended

Energy. She has it.

Be present during one of her live performances.

E

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.